Gibson Brands Forums

Value of this Les Paul

webstersp

I can't see much in those tiny pics. But I have a concern about the guitar being genuine: . The center of the volume knob next to the stop anchor should be slightly below the line the two stop anchors make, and it's not (check the pic below of the legit LP from the Gibson website). Also, I can't quite see if there's wings on the headstock, and the plastic of the control cavity cover appears to be textured. I recommend you email Gibson ( service@gibson.com ) with the serial number and ask for the details of the guitar on record - just to be safe.

Maybe someone else will chime in and verify it's legit. . . . <edit> . Maybe not.

20b17b4b-a49a-4567-bd13-f55bbbaf7850.jpg

None of my original concerns are resolved by these bigger pics.

Can't quite make them out for sure, but the pup ring mounting screws look like round-heads - they should be flat-heads.

I'm still concerned about this LP being a genuine Gibson - send the pics (2mb limit) and the serial to Gibson.

Definitely better quality pics but it's still fake. Google "fake Gibson Les Paul" and compare the headstock, front & back, to what you find on the internet.

+1 for R9... I say it's a fake, too.

1. the "crease" between the open pages shape of the headstock is neither deep enough or crisp enough to be genuine

2. the lettering/embossing for the serial number and country of origin is bogus in a number of ways

3. the tuning machines are situated too close to the edge of the peghead

4. the waist of the guitar is somewhat too narrow (although I concede that this might be a trick of perspective in the shots you posted).

5. the contours of the cutaway and horn are also "off", and the lower bout is way to small for the case

6. the deal is not well-balanced. Always remember: there's no such thing as a free lunch.

My advice... buy one at a fair price from a reliable source. You'll get what you paid for, then... a genuine Gibson guitar!

Good thing you asked first!

J/W

[scared]

If you need to know I paid 900$ canadian used. I have the receipt for it, he paid 2450$ in september 2010.

My guess is he's added a '0' to the end of his receipt - if, indeed, he has one.

Those particular Chinese fakes usually come up for about $250.

P.

Yeah, it's fake. As pointed out the control layout area is not right(where is should be on a real LP), the back route for the controls look off as well as the cover looks cheap and as said above textured, also as said above the serial number font and size is all wrong. A couple other things I noticed is that the headstock doesn't seem to be 3 pieces and to my eyes the top of the body looks like more of a veneer instead of a maple cap. Another thing that sticks out to my eyes is that the binding(especially on the neck) is incredibly white, looks like it would glow in the dark it is so bright white.

I'd stay waaayyyyyyy away from that guitar. Just sayin

hotrod

Yeah, it's fake. As pointed out the control layout area is not right(where is should be on a real LP), the back route for the controls look off as well as the cover looks cheap and as said above textured, also as said above the serial number font and size is all wrong. A couple other things I noticed is that the headstock doesn't seem to be 3 pieces and to my eyes the top of the body looks like more of a veneer instead of a maple cap. Another thing that sticks out to my eyes is that the binding(especially on the neck) is incredibly white, looks like it would glow in the dark it is so bright white.

I'd stay waaayyyyyyy away from that guitar. Just sayin

hotrod

+1 hotrod128z... there are indeed no "wings" on that headstock: another dead giveaway.

Regards,

J/W

B)

• 1 year later...

No one has mentioned that the backside doesn't seem to be mahogany

With everything else so laughably bad it's difficult to know when to call a halt on pointing out the 'differences'.

These are some of the crappiest fakes I've ever seen - and, believe me, I've seen some rubbish.

They are so unlike a real Les Paul it's actually entertainingly funny!

P.

• 7 years later...

Olá amigos, sou brasileiro e comprei uma gibson les paul standart com essa msm numeracao porém ela e bem diferente dessa das fotos gostaria de mais informações a respeito dessa peça se alguém puder me ajudar eu agradeco muito.

Hello friends, I am Brazilian and I bought a gibson les paul standart with this msm numbering but it is very different from the one in the pictures I would like more information about this piece if anyone can help me I thank you very much.

Edited by ksdaddy
translated