Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Prices

Paul Edwards

Most Gibson dealers will sell for large % off list ... especially given Gibson's high list price. Generally you will see advertised prices at about 2/3 of list ... places like MF or Wildwood or Sweetwater. Almost any Gibson dealer will match those prices and actually beat them. I paid about 60% of list price for my last new Gibson. Good hunting.

Shop around and you'll find something you like. Most of the places online and on the street are pretty close in price. I haven't found the "one" dealer who will save you hundreds of dollars on a new Martin or Gibson. I don't believe that dealer exists. When Sweetwater, Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, and a couple others have one of their big sales, no one is going to sell the same guitar for hundreds less. Just keep looking until you find what you feel is a decent price for the guitar you want.......Remember---if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Good luck in your search.

Fuller's in Houston and Dave's in LaCrosse, WI are great dealers with large inventories who are willing to offer good, competitive prices. There are fewer Gibson than Martin dealers, so I suspect there may be more room for haggling with Martins but the two I mentioned will sell Gibsons for fair prices appreciably below MAP and in the neighborhood of 60% of MSRP.

Fuller's in Houston and Dave's in LaCrosse, WI are great dealers with large inventories who are willing to offer good, competitive prices. There are fewer Gibson than Martin dealers, so I suspect there may be more room for haggling with Martins but the two I mentioned will sell Gibsons for fair prices appreciably below MAP and in the neighborhood of 60% of MSRP.

I have to ask something about Fullers. I live in Houston and go into Fullers from time to time. Great store with some great guitars. However, I very rarely buy from them because every time I find a great guitar, I feel they really fall down on price. For example, a few years ago I was looking at an R9 Les Paul there. I picked one I liked and started talking price to the sales guy. His reply was "Well, MAP is $X and that is what we sell it for." I was astonished. I tried to haggle with him and he had to call Mike Fuller, who graciously said he could take $100 off this guitar that had a MAP of around $5k a the time. I had already been offered about $1000 off MAP from another dealer for the same model guitar. This is just one example of where I have found Fullers to not be competitive on price.

My question is this then - Do they do better on price for those who call from out of state or email them? I would feel kind of wierd calling or emailing for a price before I go in and play the guitar, then say "Oh, so and so quoted me this price by email."

I own a beautiful Martin OM-21 and I know of a few stes tht will sell Martin guitars at 40% off list.

Are there any Gibson dealers that do the same or similar thing?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

I travel a bunch and have been to almost all of the stores mentioned.Fuller's is a wonderful store and I find them amazing to deal with. Paul Huber is one of the nicest guys in the music business Don't get him started about his golf game. I get all of my acoustics from Music Villa in Bozeman as they can go out to the factory and play thru all the inventory and get the best. They are Gibson's authorized showroom. The added bonus is that there is no sales tax in Montana. That has to be a nice discount of at least 5% depending on where you live.

I did stop and see a couple of nice guitars at the Villa on my last swing thru. He has a beautiful 12th fret L-4 oval hole archtop that is to die for. I have a photo I will post later. The price is right. Didn't have time to check the year but this puppy is old. Maybe even older than me and the price is right.

Archived