Gibson Brands Forums

why the strings mounted reverse on some stop-bar Les Paul

awel

It's a regular stop-bar. As for as the reason: the players that like it report better tone, sustain and playability (easier bends).

Some like it over, some don't. The design ideas are: the headstock angle increases the downward force on the nut; the stop bar is height adjustable to allow the player their preference of either more downward pressure on the saddles (low), or less pressure on the saddles (high, like a top-wrap). The top-wrap does allow more string contact with the stop-bar, but some would argue the contact with the saddles is the most import aspect of this equation (just pluck a string between the saddle and stop-bar to see what it sounds like). So the saddles and the material they're made of, as well as the bridge the saddles are mounted in are important. Some players like the stop bar all the way down. Some like it down but avoid the strings touching the back of the bridge (especially on an ABR-1). On an acoustic, it's generally accepted that when the brake angle gets too obtuse, it's time of a neck reset. I play both acoustic and electric and prefer a sharper break angle over the saddle/s which some would say gives you more downward pressure resulting in better vibration transmission, tone and sustain - - as I mentioned, some would say these are the same benefits of top-wrapping. This subject has seen a couple passionate debates on this forum.

BTW - There was just a question about this over in the Semi/Hollow subforum - http://forum.gibson....piece-question/ - only a couple of comments

Spot on!

I think it was also propagated from the Les Paul Junior Style bridge. I believe that the more string contact you have is usually better but doesn't do much if it isn't transferring energy and or is creating opposing energy. I have tried this in the past and felt like the sound became a little to twangy. Maybe... depending on the individual guitar, it might enhance something it lacks.....

Andy

Those saddles are to prevent string breakage, I had not seen thim in that color though.

String breakage? Why would strings break?

I'm not being an asshole I really can't remember the last time strings broke on me, probably was more than 10 years ago and it probably wasn't in the bridge.

String breakage? Why would strings break?

I'm not being an asshole I really can't remember the last time strings broke on me, probably was more than 10 years ago and it probably wasn't in the bridge.

I rarely break strings either but I played with a guy that would go through Every spare string and back up guitars ( and mine too) during a 4 hour set. He is an amazing player and doesn't have bad technique at all.... Never could figure that one out. Must have acid sweat or something.....

I rarely break strings either but I played with a guy that would go through Every spare string and back up guitars ( and mine too) during a 4 hour set. He is an amazing player and doesn't have bad technique at all.... Never could figure that one out. Must have acid sweat or something.....

I break strings quite often.... especially the B and high E..... But I'm very heavy handed, over-exaggerated vibrato and I tend to bend strings more than halfway across the width of the fret-board [biggrin] ..... And this includes my two guitars that have nylon bridge saddles

I break strings quite often.... especially the B and high E..... But I'm very heavy handed, over-exaggerated vibrato and I tend to bend strings more than halfway across the width of the fret-board [biggrin] ..... And this includes my two guitars that have nylon bridge saddles

I am a big bender too... Ala David Gilmour.... Step and a half or more at times and I pick hard.... Still don't break strings much.... I dunno.....

Archived