Gibson Brands Forums

No More Gibson Archtops?

powerwagonjohn

Some call it solid spruce, but it's not -

Carved - one solid piece of spruce (no laminations) carved into shape.

Solid laminate - two or more thin layers of spruce laminated together and pressed into shape. Usually advertised as "solid spruce", but it's laminated.

Laminate - plywood (unspecified species) with the top layer being spruce and pressed into shape.

BK, please tell me that we can take it for granted that our Gibson flat-tops have truly solid spruce tops?

I wouldn't naturally assume that farming out archtop production would be a bad thing. Rickenbacker essentially did something similar with it's acoustics and single archtop model, allowing an Northern California ex-Rick luthier (Paul W) to produce them under license. The folks over at the Rick forum are full of praise for Paul's work. As each one is essentially a custom order, he is also very flexible on features/ finishes. Given that making an archtop is something of a "craft" occupation, farming out the limited number of these to a few specifically skilled folks who do nothing but make archtops in a one-on one environment, instead of a factory production environment, might produce some great instruments.

• 1 month later...

May I ask when you have placed your order for the Wes?

By the way, whatever they decide about future archtop production - nothing is final, as history has shown many times.

Hi Sofaplayer.

I placed the order in September 2011. The shop has already had confirmation from Gibson that they are proceeding with the order and I expect that it will arrive sometime around September 2012.

Hi Sofaplayer.

I placed the order in September 2011. The shop has already had confirmation from Gibson that they are proceeding with the order and I expect that it will arrive sometime around September 2012.

Sounds great and at least they've informed you. I've ordered mine in february 2011. Back then, they said it will take four months. It still isn't ready and nobody can tell me when it will be. I've already thought about cancelling the order but my patience hasn't run out yet. Good luck to you, I hope it works out for you in september.

Sounds great and at least they've informed you. I've ordered mine in february 2011. Back then, they said it will take four months. It still isn't ready and nobody can tell me when it will be. I've already thought about cancelling the order but my patience hasn't run out yet. Good luck to you, I hope it works out for you in september.

I have had good experience with Gibson but they do take their time. I have 2 previous orders. Both took longer than a year to arrive. However the quality was great. I ordered a single pickup 175 and an L5 Lee Ritenour. Both are great. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Archived