Gibson Brands Forums

Number #1 best looking Gibson

Eyecon

With so many gorgeous Gibson guitars out there, I have been wondering what others think to be the Number #1 best looking, can't take your eyes off of Gibson Acoustic. While they are all very nice, there has to be a winner.

With so many to choose from, I only listed the usual suspects.

I have to cast one vote for the "Western Classic Prewar 200" that I got this week from Dave Rogers at Dave's Guitar Shop, in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Basically a Sunburst Rosewood "J-200" with an "L-5" jazz guitar Maple neck. Gold plated Waverly tuners, script Pearl Gibson logo, "Flowerpot" headstock inlay, Pearl "block" position markers and a thin white line, running around the top, about 3/4" from the edge and inlayed right into the AAA grade Spruce. Based on the singing cowboy guitar which Gibson built for Ray Whitley (I think, in 1937...), it has a unique, bound but unflowered pickguard, and was famously the prototype for the SJ-200. I always wanted one and now that dream has become a reality for me. Thanks, Dave.

If you want to see a picture, check out either the listing for the model at the Gibson website's model listings/specifications section, or look back in the "search" function box of this forum at the pictures that "Janus Guy" used to post of the one he owned.

Anyway, it's a great-sounding guitar with a truly unique "look", "feel", "and vibe". Please add one non-nominated "write-in" vote for this Gibson "Western Classic Prewar 200" from me.

Thank you,

Jack6849

I could easily line up 8 models which I find close to irresistible - even more if looking in the corners.

Confess I have a weak spot for the sunburst square shouldered Southern Jumbo though (forgive me Hartford Snyder). Not sure why, but it must have been planted back in the 70's where I met a few that blew my mind by their fragile, but strong projection (not to mention the smooth neck and their beauty) – and they were rare here.

Though I have a couple, they continue to mesmerize me every time one shows up, f.x. on the Bay. Guess it's the combination of burst and body/pickguard shape combined with mojo that does for me.

These guitars rock ! The63BlackChamber3.jpg

I see they are not represented on the list, so I better give both the SJ and the Bird a push.

But do we have more than 1 vote and if not, which one should have the first hit ?

That's my G-board weekend-dilemma right there.

Though I do not own one and have never seriously considered buying one, I've always thought the SJ-200 Sunbursts were beautiful guitars. I guess second on my list would be the Hummingbird. H'birds have just always had an iconic and beautiful look to me. Tonally, I am more into the slope shoulders, though.

Doves in flight has always been breathtaking to me but out of the ones on there I would have to go with the natural sj-200. Something about how bright the art on the pick guard looks compared to the guitar really looks magical to me for some reason.

These guitars rock ! The63BlackChamber3.jpg

What's up with that bridge inlay in that photo? I'm asking because I'm a little unhappy with the hash overtones of the B and Hi-E strings of my Aaron Lewis Southern Jumbo. I'm thinking about replacing the bone bridge inlay with a horn one. In that photo it looks like you've got the best of both worlds there.

This vintage sweetheart is from 1963 and had a new bridge and bridge-plate installed before I got it (the original bridge might have been plastic). The former owner chose to imitate the original style, so it had the adjustable ceramic saddle as well.

This – maybe due to the old overdry wood – made the E and B sound too hollow or tinny. They stood out and kinda betrayed the mids and charming bass. Therefor I slipped down different materials – tusq, ivory, all rosewood, rosewood with ordinary sized bone saddle to zoom in on the situation. Found the all rosewood insert worked best for the troubled high strings and called my guitar-doc. Asked him to create the seen combination, which gave him a few grey hairs, but brought balance to the SJ. So it's a 1/3 rose and 2/3 bone saddle in a rosewood insert.

Well, your Aaron L. is completely different –

1 because it's contemporary.

2 because it has an ordinary sized drop-in saddle from birth.

Still if you hear something unwanted, no harm would be done by ordering a double saddle or trying other things. Just don't use glue in the process.

Maybe for your own best it should be added that you are an unusual case. But aren't we all. Go ahead – it's an interesting ride

Check this pic. and see how our bridge/saddle concepts differ (maybe you know).

SJ63TwinSaddle2.jpg

The screw-holes are from a misunderstanding when I long-distance ordered.

Archived