Gibson Brands Forums

Lifeson Access McDLT Mod

zGrooveMeister

I was hoping one or more of the members who have implemented the "hot side hot/cold side cold" mod could provide us with detailed instructions on how to do it. I think I'm going to do this now rather than later and some guidance would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to post instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

Attached is a picture of my McDLT'ed AL electronics. I didn't do it myself, I'm not an electrician or engineer, and therefore I can't post any instructions. But this picture may help someone who is able to do that offer insight. All I know is this mod was well done and everything now works and sounds great. I was told by the guy that did this work that the factory grounding was inadequate as the grounding tape used will inevitably separate from the wire and the adhesive interferes with solid grounding. I don't know what he did to fix that, but he did.

Also, I would post more pictures in higher resolution, but apparently I'm up against my lifetime cap having originally posted happy pictures of my new AL acquisition. So I hope this helps.

post-31766-086460500 1323195044_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy did the mod to my guitar. Although the schematic from Graphtec helps it doesn't depict the AL model. Trust me the AL has waaaaaay more wires but as a guide it's great. I posted in another thread what I remember from the mod that was done to my guitar. I can report many gigs later that my guitar works flawlessly.. best decision to do this mod.

• 1 month later...

So why did you do the mod?

Was it because of noise, or just bleed? And did it fix it?

Having some major noiseproblems with mine ( Look at the "Another Faulty AL" ) and just wondering if splitting the Piezo and the magnetics to one input each will solve this....

So why did you do the mod?

Was it because of noise, or just bleed? And did it fix it?

Having some major noiseproblems with mine ( Look at the "Another Faulty AL" ) and just wondering if splitting the Piezo and the magnetics to one input each will solve this....

I did the mod because: (1)one of my mag pickups started cutting out and pushing on the Piezo volume affected that (which it shouldn't); (2) noise was too high in mags (like you); (3) I didn't want the tone of my mags to be in any way dependent on the status of the Piezo battery; and (4) any blending between mags and Piezo I would want could be done better and easily through other gear (DAW channels, mixing board, multiple amps). In real use, as to blending, the Piezo signal really needs different treatment from the mag signal to sound its best. For Piezo, I use a Fishman Aura, different compression settings, and some reverb. If I want to get creative and run the Piezo through distortion, flangers, phasers, etc., I can just do that on another channel. The great thing about this guitar is the sky is the limit. It really sounds awesome in almost any application. The only thing you won't get from it is that pure strat tone, but that's why I have a strat too. I find the AL post-mod is a lot quieter in the mags. I also think the tone after the mod is a bit more of a pure Les Paul tone without the circuit board being involved. It is subtle but comparing my tone to other people's youtube videos with non-modded ALs, I can really get a sense of the change in character. Both ways sound good but I'm really enjoying the tone I'm getting. To me, the mod is a no-brainer and Gibson should really offer a factory option on that.

It will be interesting to see how PRS does with its P22 -- a comparable (but non-trem) option to the AL. Something tells me PRS will implement the blending more successfully than Gibson did. They have fewer challenges because there is no trem and they make the bridge rather than another provider. PRS sweats the details better than Gibson as well, in my opinion. In truth, if I could justify another guitar purchase, I'd pick up one of those P22s in a heartbeat. But I would NOT trade my modded AL for one. It is hands down my favorite guitar.

Jay just do it. I had issues of popping, and I could swear I heard piezo coming through. It just sounded different to me. My reasons were the same as 2112's. I was the first one to report the issue to Gibson about the piezo bleed and posted on multiple forums. In essence I kinda take credit for causing all the backlash and awareness [thumbup]

I can report that many many gigs later I love the guitar and don't have any issues after doing the mod...

Oh forgot to mention that my Ernie Ball John Petrucci guitar has the same style of system as the AL with two outputs/blending etc and its dead quiet.

Does it have a kill switch (like the ALv2) or just volume knobs like the AL Axcess originally had before you reported the bleed problem?

Does it have a kill switch (like the ALv2) or just volume knobs like the AL Axcess originally had before you reported the bleed problem?

1 Volume knob, 1 tone knob and 1 piezo blend knob. 1 3-way toggle for neck/bridge/both and 1 3-way toggle for magnetics, piezo or in the middle position a combination. It had dual outputs like the AL

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to the local shop again today, and the importer still haden't sent my guitar back, even though they did the mod 3 weeks ago. Don't know what their problem is, but after two months Im fed up. So today I got my money back and ordered an ESP ( Eclipse 2 FT AHB ). A little sad not to get my long awaited Gibson Customshop, but at least I don't have a Lifeson-issue anymore:)

I bet the ESP is just as good, or even better, and $2000 cheaper, so I'm happy :)

Good luck to the rest of you ;)

• 4 months later...

I finaly had the McDLT mod done to my AL LP last month ($70 including strings and setup). I had the two mags completely removed from the Peizo curcit board and functioning like a regular LP through the Regual jack. The Peizo is feeding through the Life-O-Sound output. I do have the kill switch volume knob still engaged for the Peizo pickup but I reversed it to Pull=on.

I don't have a diagram, but the tech said it was an easy mod that he could reverse if I ever wanted to set it back. I couldn't be happier with the results of this mod. Zero noise or snap/crackle/pop coming from the magnetic pickups now and full strong output! Peizo sounds great too.

If you have an AL LP - Get the mod and you will be very happy wiht this guitar!

I finaly had the McDLT mod done to my AL LP last month ($70 including strings and setup). I had the two mags completely removed from the Peizo curcit board and functioning like a regular LP through the Regual jack. The Peizo is feeding through the Life-O-Sound output. I do have the kill switch volume knob still engaged for the Peizo pickup but I reversed it to Pull=on.

I don't have a diagram, but the tech said it was an easy mod that he could reverse if I ever wanted to set it back. I couldn't be happier with the results of this mod. Zero noise or snap/crackle/pop coming from the magnetic pickups now and full strong output! Peizo sounds great too.

If you have an AL LP - Get the mod and you will be very happy wiht this guitar!

Congrats! I really think this mod is essential with this guitar, and Gibson should offer to do it on warranty. I just keep hearing from people who are having the cracking and popping noise problems and giving up on this guitar because of it. Post-mod, this is just such a ridiculously awesome Les Paul. Pre-mod, it's a ticking time bomb. Noisy and grounding waiting to fail. Don't forget that the battery can now weaken or die without sucking tone from your mag pickups! That is $70 well spent.

• 5 months later...

Hello, Does anyone have instructions/diagrams for the McDLT mod? --- or can anyone point me to where I could find out how to do it? I have two Lifeson Axcesses, one is a very early serial number before they did the pot change, and the other is after. I need to to completely separate the piezo and mag outputs - no need for blend or kill, just complete separation. Thanks!

Hello, Does anyone have instructions/diagrams for the McDLT mod? --- or can anyone point me to where I could find out how to do it? I have two Lifeson Axcesses, one is a very early serial number before they did the pot change, and the other is after. I need to to completely separate the piezo and mag outputs - no need for blend or kill, just complete separation. Thanks!

Pretty please?

This sounds like a great Mod !! Where in Toronto could one get this done ?

Thanks

1 Volume knob, 1 tone knob and 1 piezo blend knob. 1 3-way toggle for neck/bridge/both and 1 3-way toggle for magnetics, piezo or in the middle position a combination. It had dual outputs like the AL

• 3 months later...

Excuse me please, but may I ask what pot change you do mean, and what it's about?

Could it be that "pot change" means the reverted kill switch function of the piezo volume pot? I accidentally found out in another thread that from the start up to S/N AL 99 pulling up this pot turned the piezo signal on while pushing down killed it.

Could it be that "pot change" means the reverted kill switch function of the piezo volume pot? I accidentally found out in another thread that from the start up to S/N AL 99 pulling up this pot turned the piezo signal on while pushing down killed it.

Actually, up to AL99, the volume pot for the Piezo was not a push/pull at all. Because there was "bleed" from the Piezo into the mags, some early owners complained and Gibson started putting the push/pull pot in as a solution to kill the Piezo completely and stop the bleeding. Any owners of AL99 or earlier had the option to have theirs retrofitted at Gibson's cost.

The McDLT mod is designed to completely separate the Piezo and mags so there can be no bleed, and no need to play around with pots. It benefits people who don't care about the blending feature, don't want to play around with push pull on the Piezo, and don't want the Piezo affecting their mag tone (for example, by having mag sound depend on the battery being there). As the first one to try it, I swear by it and to me it is a no brainer. It made my guitar quieter, more reliable, and there is little reason to ever use blending anyway (the hot side and cold side require different equipment for proper output).

Fyi, in my tech's implementation of the mod, he disabled the push/pull aspect of the Piezo volume pot altogether. I supported that because I would never need it and it is one more thing that can go wrong either at an electronics level or by user error during a gig.

Archived