Gibson Brands Forums

When will korean guitars get the respect they deserve

krock

RE: Epi "soft" frets...

My understanding is that the usage of such is also a Gibson hallmark.

How many guys have we heard here talking about refretting a Gibbie? A lot.

It appears there is some reason for a belief that such frets have value for the use of the guitar. I dunno myself.

I do know that stainless steel strings are hard on all frets.

m

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peerless and Unsung are at least as good as the Japanese companies that made Fenders and Jacksons.

My Epi 56 gt reissue is from the Late 90's Korean production, I like it better than just about Any Studio, and a lot of standards I have played in the last few years.

Call me Crazy........

I think my next purchase will also be Korean built.

211000816-front-l.jpg

My Epi 56 gt reissue is from the Late 90's Korean production, I like it better than just about Any Studio, and a lot of standards I have played in the last few years.

Call me Crazy........

I think my next purchase will also be Korean built.

211000816-front-l.jpg

That Vox sure looks nice!

I, too, think that Vox looks sweet. Looks like it has a lot of options.

That brings home my opinions on foreign-made guitars: if they're good, then why not buy them? Skilled craftsmen put their hands and hard work onto those instruments, and if they're well-built and they play nicely, then who cares where they're from? If it sounds good, too, that's a plus for sure!

My favorite guitar I play is from Korea. It's my 98 Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe Guitar. I'd take it any day over my Gibsons and other guitars hands down. I paid 1100 dollars for it brand new. I see since then that the guitars dropped in price a lot but who cares. I like the way the pickup's are set init so much that my new guitar is set up the same way. I don't think anyother guitar has them set up like this.

I wouldn't go that far.

Good stuff, but not as good I think.

The Japanese guitars have a bit more finesse: generally thinner finishes, and not so many undulations under the finish from hand sanding.

But - for my money - the Korean guitars have more... Seoul!

J/W

[blush]

[sorry!]

I guess my concern about any current guitars, as it was in the '60s with the guitar explosion, is the wood quality - not just how it comes from various trees, but rather the aging, etc.

E.g., assuming the same makers, will today's guitar match the quality of woods in whatever year one wishes to mention.

Personally, I've no idea. Since we're now all "green," I have serious doubts.

BTW, in this edit... <grin> Seoul is a super place to play - no matter how "play" might be defined.

m

I used to have a PRS-SE that was very good. It wasn't fancy, but it was very well assembled.

This is worthy of another thread, but I am even more impressed by my '01 Mexican Tele: the workmanship is equal to anything I have played from America. Sorry, but it's true.

My favorite Stratocaster is an '02 MiM Super Strat. (I like ALL my Strats, but this one sounds as good as any vintage one aI have ever played, and lots of others have told me so, too. But my other 2 American Specials are, indeed, "special".)

I agree with with you on both counts. But would it not be disingenuous to use Gibson bandwidth to trumpet the praises of their primary competitors' products?

[i just appreciate belonging to this Forum very much, and don't want to be discourteous...] :-({|=[crying]

J/W

:)

[ [woot] [woot] BROW-NEE POINT PATROL!!! =D> BROW-NEEZ!!! [woot] [woot]]

Actually, we might be able to make the discussion "fly" if we opened up the discussion:

"Should Gibson consider replacing the BFG and "Faded" series with better-finished guitars produced offshore?"

[Can you just imagine the flaming wars that would ensue???]

Regards,

J/W

:)

Go check out the demos....

It will blow your mind.

Coaxial Pickups, let you switch each between a single / 90/ HB mode with the Standard 3 way toggle for N/N-B/B

NO digital / battery BS either all ANALOG circuitry.

That's a very inviting pickup system.

The 33 series has Ash tops on mahogany bodies. That's pretty cool, too.

yep,

so does this Korean Ladys

70781_l-1.jpgVox-HDC77-Trans-Red.jpg

I definitly prefer these SG types Vox are making to the lp style ones. I also like the face they've expanded their range and now have low, middle and high classes. They sound pretty good and are most versatile.Only deal breaker is the bridge, Im still not sure I like it. Maybe it grows on you, I dont know.

Seems to be a general knocking of Chinese guitar building in this thread. Not too sure about the quality of their electrics. However, the Chinese made Blueridge acoustics are pretty amazing - not only for the price but for the sound. If you have played one of these, you know what I am talking about.

Seems to be a general knocking of Chinese guitar building in this thread. Not too sure about the quality of their electrics. However, the Chinese made Blueridge acoustics are pretty amazing - not only for the price but for the sound. If you have played one of these, you know what I am talking about.

I do, I had a Blueridge BR-180 and it was one of the nicest sounding guitars for flatpicking I've ever held in my hands. That is until the neck went crazy and twisted on me not bowed... twisted (I don't know if the material wasn't dried properly) and the binding on the body and headstock started lifting. There were a load of other problems I had with it but it's like a horrible memory that I've almost completely blocked out. I really wanted to love that guitar but between all of the problems and the atrocious service I received from my dealer I returned it. China makes some great guitars, but from personal experience I can't put Blueridge on that list.

As for Korea, I'm more than happy with their quality. I'll put my Schecter Stiletto Classic up against any guitar, it's without a doubt flawless. [thumbup]

I've read good things about blueridge but yeah i suppose neck warping takes time and most people dont keep the guitar for that long until they actually write the review. But I definitly agree with the statement about the best luthiers not being able to make the best quality instruments with improperly cured woods

I don't have a problem with most of the so-called Pacific Rim guitars. There was a time when many of the instruments coming from China, Korea, India, etc. were similar in quality to the Esteban guitars. However, I think they've improved dramtically in recent years. I'd still prefer to buy a Gibson or Martin, but some of the imports really are kick-butt guitars. It still comes down to what each of us wants and can afford at that moment.

Archived