Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

While I was buying parts at StewMac I picked up a set of nickel plated brass saddles for my Epiphone ES335. The saddles were a direct drop in and a nice upgrade to the stock pot metal saddles that were falling apart in addition of being notched for narrow spacing, even narrower than the spacing on the tail piece.

I am setting these to the Gibson USA string spacing at the bridge for a more familiar feel and better alignment with the pickup poles.

Now I need to figure out exactly how to do it.

CDCACE29-E01E-4287-9F16-4E528E19AD3E_zpsgspk5axn.jpg

That Epi looks nice. How are you liking the pickups and pots on it? Congrats on the baby!!

The saddles on my SG are a little haggard but it's feelin pretty nice the way it's currently set up

9DC7F8B4-5CB1-42E1-AC2F-4E09193F6F91_zpsuwff83er.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was mostly interested in learning to make the neck. It came out so well I made a body for it. My very first electric. Loads of fun with an irig2 and the iPad. It will take a bit to have an amp for it. The Dan Erlewine videos on nuts, and fretting work were indispensable.

I was mostly interested in learning to make the neck. It came out so well I made a body for it. My very first electric. Loads of fun with an irig2 and the iPad. It will take a bit to have an amp for it. The Dan Erlewine videos on nuts, and fretting work were indispensable.

That guitar build looks really nice! Thanks for sharing! What kind of amp are you planning on building?

That guitar build looks really nice! Thanks for sharing! What kind of amp are you planning on building?

I need to look into the amps. I like the 50s- early 60s sounds. Never needed an amp before. Something new to learn. Thanks for the praise. I've built many things from wood, mostly aircraft parts. I'm trying to build the skill set to build some acoustic guitars by the end of the year.

I need to look into the amps. I like the 50s- early 60s sounds. Never needed an amp before. Something new to learn. Thanks for the praise. I've built many things from wood, mostly aircraft parts. I'm trying to build the skill set to build some acoustic guitars by the end of the year.

start with a tweed, like a 5F2-A princeton or 5E3 deluxe. they are relatively simple, and sound great! I've built both, and the princeton in particular is a fun little amp.

beautiful woodwork: I can only imagine how great an amp you'd make would look! :)

cheers,

Don

start with a tweed, like a 5F2-A princeton or 5E3 deluxe. they are relatively simple, and sound great! I've built both, and the princeton in particular is a fun little amp.

beautiful woodwork: I can only imagine how great an amp you'd make would look! :)

cheers,

Don

I will look into that. Thank you.

I will look into that. Thank you.

I agree with Don, although I'm a little biased (ha) because I built a 5e3 for my first amp build towards the end of last year. I've been playing with it just about every day since, and I gotta say, in many ways it is the best sounding amp I've ever used. It doesn't really stay clean with humbuckers but they sound amazing with this amp. Very 50s-60s for sure.

I plan on building a 5f2a (and a bunch of other stuff) as well at some point

cheers,

Don

Nice to see you Don!!

I used this layout, which I can't seem to find online any more. It uses diodes instead of a tube rectifier, and other minor changes.

Steve-Milberger-5F2-A.png

this was my first homemade amp, and it's still one of my favorites.

2.JPG

can't wait to see your progress!

Don

I used this layout, which I can't seem to find online any more. It uses diodes instead of a tube rectifier, and other minor changes.

Steve-Milberger-5F2-A.png

this was my first homemade amp, and it's still one of my favorites.

2.JPG

can't wait to see your progress!

Don

That's pretty cool! What transformers did you use?

Here's my 5e3 build. Still gotta do the dang cab lol having a heck of a time finding a router bit that I'm looking for to do the box joints. Even tried getting one custom made. So looks like I'm gonna have to change plans.

C6E09214-7812-4D91-9594-0473B63B4811_zps3ftnftnh.jpg

Here's where my Revibe project is currently at

D51BB086-5443-4B58-9A42-4F9235540A71_zpskia1kcwp.jpg

That's pretty cool! What transformers did you use?

Here's my 5e3 build. Still gotta do the dang cab lol having a heck of a time finding a router bit that I'm looking for to do the box joints. Even tried getting one custom made. So looks like I'm gonna have to change plans.

C6E09214-7812-4D91-9594-0473B63B4811_zps3ftnftnh.jpg

Here's where my Revibe project is currently at

D51BB086-5443-4B58-9A42-4F9235540A71_zpskia1kcwp.jpg

i used hammonds, they were very cheap. :)

1.JPG

that 5E3 wiring looks beautiful!

And plenty good too. I've had good luck with Classic Tone out of Chicago too.

triode electronics is great! i've used Classictone iron in a few builds, including my fender bassman and the 5C1 champ i'm working on now. good stuff!

Cheers,

Don

That Epi looks nice. How are you liking the pickups and pots on it? Congrats on the baby!!

The saddles on my SG are a little haggard but it's feelin pretty nice the way it's currently set up

Thanks.

The Epi is a ES-335 Pro with small block inlay, it is a very nice looking guitar but the factory setup really blows, poorly cut nut and nut slot, very heavy guitar, slightly miss aligned bridge pick up, etc.

Cosmetically it is beautiful, the electronics are good, all pots measure right at 500K ohms and I actually do like the pickups, they are sweet sounding through my Mesa 5:25.

I have put a lot of time into this guitar in terms of mods and fixes. It was weird to slot the saddles with a hammer but it works!

Archived