Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since you guys are into this fuzz thing, here is my first pedal I ever built... my freshman year of high school in electronics class. It's a 2 channel fuzz, and it's a POS! but when every other kid in class was was wiring an LED to a resistor with a 9v battery, this is what I did. The PCB on it is HUGE! almost the size of the enclosure, but it was designed for beginners.

ElectronicsClassFuzzPedal1996.jpg

Nice,

I actually tried to build a Fuzz pedal two years ago and looks like a rat's nest inside, I did not build it from a kit and did not work (other than the led and bypass switch), I had forgotten about it until this thread, I am going to give it another try.

I dig the paint job on the Red Llama. Tasty!

Hey surfpup! Thanks [thumbup] Yea, I was trying to paint the pedal with a mini cooper paint scheme. :) BTW.... mammoth has a free domestic shipping until Monday. I just ordered a few more knobs for my newly built pedals.

Hey surfpup! Thanks [thumbup] ...BTW.... mammoth has a free domestic shipping until Monday. I just ordered a few more knobs for my newly built pedals.

Dude, I spent way too much money there last week. I have three of their Guitar PCB kits coming and some supplies to make more boosters.

Yeah it's freakin huge. It's a complex circuit with a lot of large components though. It has a transformer inside it.. Most of the space is actually being used in there.

I'm mainly just using it for chorus and slapback delay, for which it sounds better than anything else I've tried.

^ nice Tele. Looks a lot like mine.

Populated this delay board today. It's gonna be similar to the last delay I made but a lot better.

photo-1631.jpg

Took me a few hours.. I wish I would have quoted it for a higher price!

Very nice work Dubs! I noticed the black marker dots on the pref board. What are those for?

Never!

I probly will build one of these for myself though :)

I knew you didn't wanna let it go. [biggrin] There are a couple on eBay, hanging around $250, but I may just pony up the $299 to buy new from the factory - especially since I sold the Gen5 yesterday and that BYOC chorus I made sold today. Got a couple boosters going out too. Plus I'm fixing to eBay some LovePedal stuff.

BTW, have you tried their "favorite switch" with yours. Might think about adding that later if I end up liking a lot of different settings on the El Cap.

Did you see that the new ones have soft touch switches? I think I would prefer those to the ones on mine (which are fine) so that might be something to consider. The new ones have a stereo input also.

I had an aftermarket favorite switch but I cannibalized it for the 3PDT. It didn't work with mine, not sure if it was my pedal, the cable, or the switch.

Anyways, you can make a favorite switch really easily. All you need is a switch, a stereo jack, and an LED. It basically switches between connecting the ring to the tip or sleeve (something like that anyways). If you do a google search you can probably find info on how to make one.

Today I drilled this enclosure for that delay I'm working on.

photo-2452.jpg

I think this is the basic aesthetic I'll be using for most of my builds from now on. What do you guys think?

I'll probably get some small stamps to label the controls, but I like this layout.

photo-2452.jpg

I think this is the basic aesthetic I'll be using for most of my builds from now on. What do you guys think?

I'll probably get some small stamps to label the controls, but I like this layout.

Looks like a good layout, with room enough for a decent sized PCB [thumbup]

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah JDK I kinda initially did it like that so I'd have enough space for the PCB but now I just like the way it looks.

Surfpup - I always put the jacks all on the top when I can. They're on the top here (and on the last delay too). Since I make most of these for other people, I always try to make them as pedalboard friendly as possible.

Plus, as someone who's tried to fit Zvex pedals on their board, I absolutely can't stand horizontal enclosures with side-mounted jacks.

photo-2452.jpg

Very nice....I like it. How about mixing the knobs with different styles and sizes giving a simple layout with a little abstract. [biggrin]

Very nice....I like it. How about mixing the knobs with different styles and sizes giving a simple layout with a little abstract. [biggrin]

Yeah the Boss knobs can be a little bland but I dig em.

I'm building this for someone so I can't get all whacky, but I'm always down to do that for one of my own! I need to get some of the big pointer knobs like the one on my Small Stone. Those are my favorite.

I don't really see his comment as anything with bad intent.. Just a suggestion. Bluesguitar and I are buds.

No, he didn't mean it in a bad way but you once said to him that he should mix the knobs because of all his guitar pedals were just bare and with the same knobs.

Archived