Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

photo-914.jpg

D*A*M Meathead "clone" with some fancy caps. For those who aren't familiar with this circuit, it's basically a one knob silicon Fuzz Face. The knob controls the volume, the fuzz is *almost* turned all the way up all the time.

You control the tone with the controls on your guitar

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I added a small subwoofer to a 15w orange crush amp to get some more bass out of it.

I would since then add it to my fender mustang I amp as I absolutely hated the shrill tone I got from it.

Guitarwise, I use rubbing compound and then toothpaste to get the most out of the finish.

Stuck pots will get peroxide to loosen them up.

photo-914.jpg

D*A*M Meathead "clone" with some fancy caps. For those who aren't familiar with this circuit, it's basically a one knob silicon Fuzz Face. The knob controls the volume, the fuzz is *almost* turned all the way up all the time.

You control the tone with the controls on your guitar

Where did you get the layout for this pedal?

Here's a good one. It's a super simple circuit.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_y7gcfRKQFgA/TMHwBpGtCLI/AAAAAAAAAQ4/SsKqY8bPFwA/s1600/DAM+Meathead+-+smaller+2-710238.png

One major difference between this and a standard Fuzz Face is the input and output caps are much smaller. The sound is much less woolly and bassy than the Fuzz Face. This circuit is somewhat cleaner, better with chords, and more cutting in a band than a Fuzz Face.

Another cool thing is the ceramic caps between the base and collector of each transistor to simulate the leakage of germanium transistors.

If you increase the values of the input and output caps to the specs of the Meathead Dark you get an amazing bass fuzz.

Here's a good one. It's a super simple circuit.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_y7gcfRKQFgA/TMHwBpGtCLI/AAAAAAAAAQ4/SsKqY8bPFwA/s1600/DAM+Meathead+-+smaller+2-710238.png

One major difference between this and a standard Fuzz Face is the input and output caps are much smaller. The sound is much less woolly and bassy than the Fuzz Face. This circuit is somewhat cleaner, better with chords, and more cutting in a band than a Fuzz Face.

Another cool thing is the ceramic caps between the base and collector of each transistor to simulate the leakage of germanium transistors.

If you increase the values of the input and output caps to the specs of the Meathead Dark you get an amazing bass fuzz.

Thanks Dubs [thumbup] Im going to order the cave dweller board from madbean and the PT2399 I purchased from eBay should arrive on Friday. Did you get your PT2399 also from the eBay seller nooelec? I got 20 PT2399 for $8.95 shipped. [flapper]

Yeah I ordered 20 from nooelec and they shipped out last night. That was such a sweet deal thanks for the heads up! Hopefully most of them are usable.

Honestly, I have to recommend that you don't waste your time with the Cave Dweller. The only good thing about it is that it can fit in a 1590A it's not a very good circuit at all. The thing is it has no mix control and it completely ruins your dry signal. It's 100% useless with any amount of dirt. At first I thought it was cool but I quickly realized it is extremely flawed.

You should do a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay clone instead.

Yeah I ordered 20 from nooelec and they shipped out last night. That was such a sweet deal thanks for the heads up! Hopefully most of them are usable.

Honestly, I have to recommend that you don't waste your time with the Cave Dweller. The only good thing about it is that it can fit in a 1590A it's not a very good circuit at all. The thing is it has no mix control and it completely ruins your dry signal. It's 100% useless with any amount of dirt. At first I thought it was cool but I quickly realized it is extremely flawed.

You should do a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay clone instead.

Hey NP Dubs [thumbup] Wow, pretty surprised about that cave dweller. Thanks for the heads up on that. Is there a board already made for that Deep Blue Delay or it would be a vero board? I noticed over at madbean that the had a cave deweller II with a Dub ed. Hmmmm.....was that based on your mods? What do you think of the Rebote PT2399 delays over at tonepad?

The repeats of the Cave Dweller sound beautiful but the dry signal gets extremely muddy especially with any amount of dirt. Once you add dirt it's all whale communication.

I don't know of a prefabbed DBD board but I just thought of something else you HAVE to try.. The Echo Base delay board from musicpcb.com

The board is really well designed and the Echo Base is just a great circuit. I recommend you do like all of the mods listed. I built one for my brother in law and I really loved it and he seems to love it too. I'm a delay FREAK and that circuit is one of the best delays I've ever tried.

lol no I think they called it that either as a reference to dub music (which involves a lot of delay with high feedback levels) or because I think that mod adds a second PT2399 to double the delay time. The rebote delay is a classic you can't go wrong with that. I think the D'Lay is basically a rebote though

The repeats of the Cave Dweller sound beautiful but the dry signal gets extremely muddy especially with any amount of dirt. Once you add dirt it's all whale communication.

I don't know of a prefabbed DBD board but I just thought of something else you HAVE to try.. The Echo Base delay board from musicpcb.com

The board is really well designed and the Echo Base is just a great circuit. I recommend you do like all of the mods listed. I built one for my brother in law and I really loved it and he seems to love it too. I'm a delay FREAK and that circuit is one of the best delays I've ever tried.

lol no I think they called it that either as a reference to dub music (which involves a lot of delay with high feedback levels) or because I think that mod adds a second PT2399 to double the delay time. The rebote delay is a classic you can't go wrong with that. I think the D'Lay is basically a rebote though

I think we made a mental connection as I have built that delay a few weeks ago and I love it. I like it much better than the GGG PT-80 delay, which is suppose to be a clone of a an old Ibanez AD-80 analog delay and it runs at 12volts. The guitarPCB D'Lay sounds so much warmer and it does sound so close to an echoplex tape echo. The on mod I have is the warp switch, thinking of making another and do the tap tempo and momentary mod switch.

Here she is.

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

Yeah I think there are other PT2399 delays with more tasty filtering of the repeats than the Echo Base, but that modulation is so awesome. The repeats also have that nice way of sitting underneath the dry signal which I think makes it excellent for David Gilmour style delay like on the solo in Time.

My favorite mod for the DBD that I've come up with is wiring a cap blend to one of the filter caps which lets me adjust the filtering of the repeats. I figured out how to make it go from a perfect tape style bandwidth to a dark analog-ish sound. It's so cool.

Yeah I think there are other PT2399 delays with more tasty filtering of the repeats than the Echo Base, but that modulation is so awesome. The repeats also have that nice way of sitting underneath the dry signal which I think makes it excellent for David Gilmour style delay like on the solo in Time.

My favorite mod for the DBD that I've come up with is wiring a cap blend to one of the filter caps which lets me adjust the filtering of the repeats. I figured out how to make it go from a perfect tape style bandwidth to a dark analog-ish sound. It's so cool.

Nice! Do you have a demo?

I've only put that into one delay and it was a build I was commissioned to do so it's gone. I've got parts to build 3 more coming in the mail so I'll record something soon.

I actually have one of the delay boards wired up right now but no filter control on it.

And here's a little clip of it with a Danelectro PB&J Delay that I modified.

It's just with my little practice amp as usual, would sound a lot sweeter through an ac30 or something

Also, where the sustain abruptly cuts off, I just cut the volume on my guitar to show the repeats of the PB&J more. The Meathead has endless sustain when you play it loud

Hah I'm probly just talking to myself here, but I just made this fuzz. I've always really loved the extra buzzy fuzz sounds on some old '60s records but I've never really had a pedal that could quite capture that sound. I think this fuzz I just put together comes pretty close

I basically just added a triangle Big Muff style tone control to a silicon Fuzzrite circuit. With the depth down and the tone up, I get a ripping, buzzy fuzz sound.

Hah I'm probly just talking to myself here, but I just made this fuzz. I've always really loved the extra buzzy fuzz sounds on some old '60s records but I've never really had a pedal that could quite capture that sound. I think this fuzz I just put together comes pretty close

I basically just added a triangle Big Muff style tone control to a silicon Fuzzrite circuit. With the depth down and the tone up, I get a ripping, buzzy fuzz sound.

Nice! Have you built a Shin Ei Champion Fuzz? Its similar to a Mosrite Fuzz, but nastier.

• 2 weeks later...

Gonna drop the Fuzzrite into this enclosure I did

photo-1419.jpg

Nice finish. I do like the style coming through in your pedals - I haven't painted the Dark Cloud delay (yet) though, I still like the bare metal.

Thanks!

Here it is finished

photo-2132.jpg

Wow, that looks fantastic... very cool indeed. I think it would be fun to try my hand at a pedal project, maybe after the holidays... your work is quite inspiring. Cheers.

Archived