Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

lol thanks badbluesplayer. Are you going to try to repair that?

Here's something I built today

photo_zpsea0c70a4.jpg

I'll take some better pictures tomorrow but it's pitch dark out so for now we get the Robert Goulet Christmas special

This is based on the old VOX Tone Bender circuit. Specifically the two knob version with two germanium transistors. It's essentially a Fuzz Face with smaller cap values, especially the 4n7 output cap which cuts a lot of low end from the output. The result is a buzzy but strong sounding fuzz that cleans up really well with the guitar's volume and won't get lost in the mix.

I've used a Texas Instruments 2G301 for Q1 and 2G308 for Q2. Everything is basically 1:1 with the original schematic except I slightly altered one resistor value to bias the collector of Q2. I also added a toggle switch to disconnect the battery from the circuit so that the pedal can be left plugged in on a pedalboard without draining the battery.

The sound is pretty great if you're into retro fuzz tones.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Lol I at first I just braided 3 wires from the jacks to the switch but then I tried to run all the other wires through the braid in an attempt to make it kinda tidy

It's the Vox Tonebender clone. Sounds awesome

I cant get over just how tidy you managed to make it. I've got quite a few of those handmade pedal companies on facebook that don't make it look anywhere near as good as that msp_thumbup.gif

Today, I cleaned the effects loop on my jcm 900 since it started to break sounds, lose intensity. Great results, back to being a JCM again! And opened up my Dunlop wah and lubricate as well since it's performing poorly. Great results again. Last but not least, cleaned the tube on my voice box.....with whiskey! Taste and smells better now!. [thumbup] HAGWE!

I have a pig nose amp the little one and i was thinking about putting the guts into a large cigar box and putting it on the coffee table. any thoughs. i bought two cigar boxes from ebay but i am not happy with either one of them.

Nice surfpup. Where did you get those tagboards?

Nice, pup! Are you staking the turretboards yourself?

Thanks

No, I've thought about making my own but I get these from from Antique Electronic Supply. 6 wide is what I normally use in my Big Toe boosters, so I just cut theme down to do these.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-HTUR-STRIP-12

Speaking of tagboard, I'm rehousing my MK1.5 Bender that I built on tagboard in this box (need to get matching knobs)

photo_zpsd0359739.jpg

I built that fuzz late last year and it's been all I've been using with my band. I really love it but the blank little box didn't have the right look

This is also serving as sorta the prototype for a line of these which I will be cranking out soon (in these sexy cases with some nice badges I'll be getting made). Expect to see a lot more like this in the near future!

Speaking of tagboard, I'm rehousing my MK1.5 Bender that I built on tagboard in this box (need to get matching knobs)

photo_zpsd0359739.jpg

I built that fuzz late last year and it's been all I've been using with my band. I really love it but the blank little box didn't have the right look

This is also serving as sorta the prototype for a line of these which I will be cranking out soon (in these sexy cases with some nice badges I'll be getting made). Expect to see a lot more like this in the near future!

That looks GREAT Dubs! Where did you get that enclosure? NICE! BTW...any tips on building a TB MK1.5, what transistor, hfe and leakage? Did you build the vox or sola sounds MK1.5?

Made some progress on one of the SHO boosters today. (Though I spent most

of the day trying out a buddy's new VOX AC15). Working on the yellow one

first since a customer is waiting on it. I'll get to the red one soon hopefully.

I'm kinda digging the hot rod look.

DSC_0002-18.jpg

DSC_0003-11.jpg

All is well BG! Build anything cool lately?

I just boxed up this Rangemaster last night

photo_zps92ec14e1.jpg

There's a lot of flux around the tags because I did a lot of soldering/un-soldering on this board so it looks a little nasty but wow it sounds great!

I made the input cap switchable. Middle position is stock RM, up position adds some more lower mids (sounds very Sabbath-like), down position is about as much low end as this circuit will take without woofing out.

I'll post a pic of the exterior in the future. It's boring looking now but I'm going to have my lady paint it for me

Archived