Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

All is well BG! Build anything cool lately?

I just boxed up this Rangemaster last night

photo_zps92ec14e1.jpg

There's a lot of flux around the tags because I did a lot of soldering/un-soldering on this board so it looks a little nasty but wow it sounds great!

I made the input cap switchable. Middle position is stock RM, up position adds some more lower mids (sounds very Sabbath-like), down position is about as much low end as this circuit will take without woofing out.

I'll post a pic of the exterior in the future. It's boring looking now but I'm going to have my lady paint it for me

Nice Dubs [thumbup] I've been mostly breadboarding and trying out different schematics. Breadboarding really helps in picking which pedal you want to build. What transistor did you use on that rangemaster? Great work Dubs [thumbup]

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great! You've come a long way

The transistor is a TI 2G301. I've been using a lot of those lately. Sounds excellent!

Yup!! It all started with the encouragement to build my own pedals, as I was always purchasing all these pedals practially every week..... LOL... Was that about two years ago? You actaully help me save $$$$ by making my own pedals. Thanks bro and now I got the bug and even learned to read schematics. [thumbup]

I made the input cap switchable. Middle position is stock RM, up position adds some more lower mids (sounds very Sabbath-like), down position is about as much low end as this circuit will take without woofing out.

Sounds pretty versatile (unlike the original). [thumbup]

I think even beyond saving money it's pretty rewarding. And I love that I can basically create a pedal to sound specifically how I want and work with my personal rig. It's awesome!

Pup it's a pretty common mod. I can't take credit for the idea but I sure enjoy the results :)

Pup it's a pretty common mod. I can't take credit for the idea but I sure enjoy the results :)

Yeah, I've noticed most people building Rangemasters do a full range mod since it's pretty easy to do and the Rangemaster is a bit of a one trick pony - though a nice trick with the right amp. I'd love to hear a clip of the three different positions if you fine the time. [thumbup]

Wow, that sounds great. I want to build a Rangemaster and have most of the components but hardly ever have time these days when I do I try to play.

Thanks! I know what you mean. I finished this up when I got off work while my girlfriend was doing homework. It's a very simple circuit though, so you can put it together pretty quickly, and you can always just do little parts of it at a time then gradually get it done.

Surfpup yeah I agree. It would be pretty cool for sludgy metal stuff too. Keep in mind it still has a 10n output cap so it mostly just gives the "impression" of a lot of low end without actually having tons of it.

Honestly I've never listened to that album. Not a Clapton fan.

My advice is to throw it on your breadboard and see what you like for yourself. Don't bother with what other people and myself are using. It's such a simple circuit to tweak, you owe it to yourself to suit it to your own taste [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a clip with some pedals that I made. The fuzz tone is my MK1.5 into my Rangemaster (which is set low so that its not really boosting) and the tremolo is one that I built a while ago

Excuse the stain on my carpet. My friend spilled a coke there

Here's a clip with some pedals that I made. The fuzz tone is my MK1.5 into my Rangemaster (which is set low so that its not really boosting) and the tremolo is one that I built a while ago

Trippy goodness. The trem sounds really warm.

Thanks pup! The trem sounds great with fuzz too

Speaking of fuzz, I just rebuilt a Fulltone 69/MK1.5 hybrid that I built a while ago with some different transistors.

I used an RCA 2N217 from an old radio for Q1 and a cheap Chinese germanium transistor of all things for Q2. Kindof a weird pair on paper but they sound great! Thing is I selected them very specifically for their hfe and leakage so the actual part number is sortof secondary.

That Chinese transistor is actually great.. It has an hfe of about 136 which is higher gain than I normally use but I wanted to freak out with this pedal and it totally rips!

Thing is I selected them very specifically for their hfe and leakage so the actual part number is sortof secondary.

Makes perfect sense. I gotta play with some more fuzz circuits this summer. Which ones would you say are simple enough to do on turret? The Tonebender and Fuzz Face I imagine. Any others?

There are so many! Fuzzrite, FY-2, Fuzz Factory, Harmonic Percolator, FZ-1A, Buzzaround, Soda Meiser... A Rangemaster is maybe not a fuzz but you should definitely do one.

Definitely check out the Buzzaround! It's kindof a Tone Bender but it has its own thing going on and it's very usable. The Harmonic Percolator is also very unique and interesting

And here are some fuzzy guts from that 69/MK1.5 hybrid

photo_zps71396f63.jpg

I got a bag of 2N404 transistors the other day and here's a project I'm working on with a pair of them.

It's basically a fuzz switchable between MK1.5 ToneBender and VOX two knob ToneBender specs

photo_zps47fbd39e.jpg

I designed this layout to have a trimmer to bias the Q2 collector but I was out of trimmers so that's why there's the one standing resistor.

Anyways I've wired up the VOX portion of it in my test box and it sounds excellent! I'm drilling the box to finish the build right now

I had a couple of fretboard inlays on my Les Paul that were coming unglued along one edge. I glued them back down with some superglue type stuff called "Hot Stuff". You wax or tape off the fretboard around the inlay. Then squirt in a little glue - a couple of drops at most - and work it in there and hold the inlay down - all within about 5 seconds. After about 30 seconds I released the pressure. I scraped and sanded down the excess glue using a blade and some Micromesh 1500 grit abrasive.

So Hot Stuff and Micromesh are what you need to do fretboard work.

Hot Stuff

Micromesh

• 2 weeks later...

Best part about summer break? More time to build pedals. Finally finished this one up.

DSC_0001-14.jpg

Still undecided about the contrasting bottom plate idea, but

the last one I did sold quickly so I figured I'd do it again.

DSC_0004-7.jpg

I did stake this board myself, Dubs. Certainly cheaper that way.

DSC_0008-3.jpg

Cool build pup! I like how the swirls are on the inside too

Have you thought about buying some axial caps for your turret builds?

It's been a while since I've posted a video, so here's one of my MKII circuit in my test box. Fuzz control is all the way up

Cool build pup! I like how the swirls are on the inside too

Have you thought about buying some axial caps for your turret builds?

Thanks, Dubs. I prefer the axial style caps but they are getting harder and harder to find. Any suggestions?

Archived