Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

Sounds cool!

And I just realized that was something else I wanted to do this summer: build something on vero. Oh well... There will be time, there will be time... [biggrin]

Want me to post one of my layouts for you?

I did one for a modded MK1.5/Fuzz Face, MKII, Marshall Supa Fuzz (MKII with a few tweaks), MKIII Tone Bender (the kind with a tone knob), Buzzaround, Rangemaster with input cap blend

Mainly germanium fuzzes :o

I designed the layouts to accommodate the sizes of parts that I have in my stash. Aside from the Rangemaster and MK1.5/FF (which will fit in a 1590b easily) you'll probably want to use a 1590bb to fit the width of the board

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Want me to post one of my layouts for you?

I did one for a modded MK1.5/Fuzz Face, MKII, Marshall Supa Fuzz (MKII with a few tweaks), MKIII Tone Bender (the kind with a tone knob), Buzzaround, Rangemaster with input cap blend

Mainly germanium fuzzes :o

I designed the layouts to accommodate the sizes of parts that I have in my stash. Aside from the Rangemaster and MK1.5/FF (which will fit in a 1590b easily) you'll probably want to use a 1590bb to fit the width of the board

Yeah, man. That would be awesome. [thumbup] I have a 1590BB drilled for three knobs just sitting there waiting for something! Be nice to have extra room. I have to do some work to get my turret boards into the 125Bs. I have to order some more turret stock anyway, so I'll order some Vero too.

I have a project right here for you :)

Three knob tonebender! I really love the one I built, and I'll help you with any info you need on the build!

Ok so a little disclaimer.. I won't be able to use the laptop I used to make these for a couple days so for now here's a photo of the printout I made.. This is the DIY thread, right?

photo_zpsfb0fcff1.jpg

All pots are B100K. TONE 2 is wired to VOLUME 3. VOLUME 2 is output, VOLUME 1 to ground.

This is a positive ground circuit and I recommend powering it with a 9v battery.

The transistors are indicated by the black dots here and are Q1, Q2, and Q3 from left to right. The pinouts are CBE from top to bottom.

I think most people try and use transistors that are too high gain in this circuit. Q1 and Q2 are a darlington pair and need to be low gain and very low leakage. An hfe anywhere around 45 is good for both of these. Q3 is what makes the fuzz and has the biggest impact on the sound. I recommend an hfe of around 90 for Q3, but the critical thing is that this transistor has some leakage! It is biased by the leakage, and if it has no leakage it will sound totally misbiased.

If you don't have any leaky transistors that will work in this position, you can actually use a low or zero leakage transistor and simulate leakage. This is how I used a 2N404 with zero leakage for Q3 in my build and got it to bias up nicely. All I did was wire a 470K resistor between base and collector of Q3 to simulate a bit of leakage.

One other small note.. I said that TONE 2 goes to VOLUME 3 for clarity, however in the original this connection is made via a 220ohm resistor. Since this resistor only further limits the already low output of the circuit I prefer to use a direct connection to avoid a volume drop in the trebly side of the tone control.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Looks cool. Thanks. Ima see which parts I have and which I need. I can see why I stick to silicon, that germanium gets complicated! [unsure]

I don't see output from the board - upper right maybe?

Looks cool. Thanks. Ima see which parts I have and which I need. I can see why I stick to silicon, that germanium gets complicated! [unsure]

I don't see output from the board - upper right maybe?

You can totally use silicon for Q1 and Q2 without really affecting the sound as long as they're low gain enough.

I got a Peak Atlas DCA55 semiconductor analyser which makes selecting transistors really easy. I recommend getting one (especially if you plan on building a lot of germanium fuzzes!)

Sorry about that! If you read right below the photo I explained the rest of the pot wiring. Here it is one more time

All pots are B100K. TONE 2 is wired to VOLUME 3. VOLUME 2 is output, VOLUME 1 to ground.

Is this kit any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dallas-Rangemaster-Treble-Booster-Kit-Pigeon-FX-/141029834015?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20d6087d1f

I have an OC44 transistor but the kit seems fairly incomplete, not transistor, no jacks, no LED, etc.

Yeah I've gotten one of their kits and they're good if you don't want to look for those cool components

But I recommend you look at smallbearelectronics.com

You can get a tested transistor for the Rangemaster circuit from them and they will give you the resistors that will properly bias it (unlike other kits).

Then just grab the caps and hardware from them and you should only be out about $40 and you'll have everything you need

I got one of their Rangemaster transistors and with their supplied resistors it really sounds great!

I totally forgot, I have one of those. Gotta get to that. eBay is a good way to go. I ordered mine direct from Pigeon in UK and it never showed. He sent another once I emailed him though.

Man, sounds awesome! [thumbup] Bet it can get pretty surfy too. You guys gonna be selling those also?

Yeah - But I might have to keep this one.

We just finished up another one of those souped up Blues Juniors - the upper one in the pic - and I've been playing that the last couple of days. [thumbup]

This IS your father's amplifier! [thumbup]

DSC_0001_zpsb12ad7bb.jpg

Don't give up now, just try to make the build easy on yourself by maybe buying a PCB from madbean and a transistor and other components and hardware from smallbear.

If you want I'll give you links to each part that you'll need. It will be easier than you think and there's nothing cooler than a Rangemaster with a cranked up amp

Remember that free BOSS OS-1 that I got?

Here it is after I painted and modded it

photo_zps99219fee.jpg

The stock pedal sounds good enough but it's a bit shrill and thin sounding on the distortion side and muffled on the OD side. I tweaked some cap values and clipping diodes and now I have to say its a very respectable OD. I don't normally use overdrive pedals but it makes my practice amp sound great

If any of you guys have one of these you should mod it!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. This is an awesome mod that I'm stoked about!

I found this video online and thought it sounded cool so I tried it on my BOSS OC-2

Here's my pedal now. I installed the switch by the power jack since it won't fit by the knobs.

photo_zps987715d6.jpg

I'll post some videos tomorrow!

4192bccc-3de5-401a-a907-89c5e5c394a2_zpscc134f70.jpg

b0137166-9b2f-4733-91aa-59c582bf0dcf_zps49cf80ec.jpg

bf858ef6-a176-40c3-8fcd-2dcf6745cce5_zps03b3f5ab.jpg

6b0bf66c-32db-42b7-9af2-ab9e3f525821_zps654a190f.jpg

a562a72d-9467-4663-b611-8ce3f984994b_zps41c74fac.jpg

eb7a14bf-810a-4b3c-a241-a1e8519e8d5c_zpsd7996594.jpg

f38b4b26-56ac-4294-8beb-88d2740cab2c_zpsbeb5d11f.jpg

86f81e0a-5bfb-4071-a647-b59638020e72_zps75697548.jpg

Pictures of guitars I have painted and repaired the finish on

The yellow Strat was a basket case that I stripped down, refinished and installed new neck and hardware.

The red and black Strats I built from left over parts, painted here at my shop.

The black Telecaster I built close to 30 years ago.

The Epiphone Humming bird artist, I bought new for $72.00. It had some defects in the finish. Took me about 2 days to repair. Plays great.

The Telecaster body with the swirl paint job I did for a friend of mine.

Not a guitar of course, but my T-Bucket I built myself,and completed every thing but the interior. I had to have that done by a shop

This is a Mosrite guitar I found at a garage sale for $75.00 I refinished it pearl orange, and it plays great, very easy neck. I need to locate a tremelo arm for it

I retired about 13 years ago after over 40 years in high-rise construction.

During the 70s, I was part owner of a guitar shop in Las Vegas.

I did the cosmetic repair,painting and refinishing, while my partner did the electrical work, fret jobs, set-ups

I have been working on cars sense the 50s, building, restoring and pretty much being a pain in the arse to the local police depts.

I have a small booth I use for guitars, gun stocks, and small items.

My T-Bcket was the last car that I painted,

I used to paint just about anything the was still for more than 5 minutes, but due to an injury, I have slowed way down the last few years.

Archived