Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dub-T-123

The DIY thread

Don't remember if I ever posted this, but I made this sometime last year. Finally brought it home from the studio

photo_zps5b620827.jpg

It's my first (and favorite) MK1.5 build

Don't remember if I ever posted this, but I made this sometime last year. Finally brought it home from the studio

photo_zps5b620827.jpg

It's my first (and favorite) MK1.5 build

Schwing! I love the old school tag board. [thumbup]

Just spiffed up this Fender Supersonic 22 Combo. It had been like new but then smashed up pretty good and we bought it as-is. It must have face planted off of somewhere because the front was smashed up, a few knobs were busted, the cabinet was busted clean apart at one of the upper corners. Some stuff was bent around inside the amp. Output tranny was bent over like 45 degrees and the tube shields all bent up. No tubes.

Anyway, we fixed the cabinet, retubed/rebiased it, installed a Weber 12F150 ceramic speaker. The amp has a great clean channel - just like a DR or similar - but the drive channel is pretty sterile. So we tweaked the tone stack some and installed a mid cut switch. The mid cut switch allows you to change the value of the slope resistance in the tone stack, so you can have the "Fender" setting, with the scooped Fender tone or you can switch it to a "Marshall/Bassman" setting with less separation between the highs and mids. The Marshall/Bassman setting has more mids so the amp can open up with a lot of drive. Now you can dime every knob on the drive channel and it still sounds organic. The mid cut switch is located on the back panel next to the power switch. I guess I could have put it on the front face.

Great sounding amp. If me or my partner keeps it, we'll probably end up upgrading the caps in the tone path. That'll be about all you can do to this sucker. Edit - Just realized that the reverb tank could be upgraded to a 3 spring MOD. Oh boy!!

Slideshow

Here's the Fender Supersonic 22 Combo in the last post with added slope knob for dirty channel (near power switch) and an effects loop boost adjustment knob (next to speaker jack.) The amp is really starting to open up. We're going to try messing with the treble cap on the Gain1 pot to see how that sounds.

The slope knob's great. Turn it all the way down for a slope resistance of about 32k, which is super-Marshally sounding. Turn it all the way up for the stock Fender slope of 120k, which is more of a scooped tone.

We have about $800.00 into it at this point.

1422486_10201446047886354_614800236_n_zps73822103.jpg

The slope knob's great. Turn it all the way down for a slope resistance of about 32k, which is super-Marshally sounding. Turn it all the way up for the stock Fender slope of 120k, which is more of a scooped tone.

[thumbup] That sounds like a very useful mod indeed.

[thumbup] That sounds like a very useful mod indeed.

Surf - I'm in the process of researching Dumble Overdrives and it looks like he was doing something very similar with the Jazz/Rock switch on his amps. I don't have the Overdrive totally figured out yet, but that's what it looks like.

His volume boost circuit is just like what I did on my Champ!! Whoa! That's cool! [biggrin]

This is a lightly modded clone of a very rare fuzz called the Sam Ash Fuzz Stainer

photo_zps02a44893.jpg

photo_zps6470a252.jpg

It has a bias control which can introduce some weird gating effects and the fuzz control can be dialed down to a surprisingly clear crunchy boost

Dub, if it sounds as good as it looks.....your work is always so clean and impressive! What sort of fuzz is it? What transistors? Have you added any custom features?

The Dark Cloud delay you made me is on my board and I'm really into it now, I know what it does and it's part of my sound arsenal. Sounds just great.

Regards!

The mods done to it were suggested by a forum member at DIYstompboxes. This isn't one of my layouts, I saw this project here and wanted to build it http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/12/sam-ash-fuzztainer.html?m=0

The included mods are all simple and don't really effect the sound. They are just functional improvements like reverse polarity protection diode, some power filtering, reducing the value of the output resistor for greater output, and taking the internal bias trimpot of the original to an external control. The only mod that I added myself was a small value capacitor between the base and collector of Q1 in an attempt to remove some noise and fizz. It was a subtle change but improved it slightly I think

For transistors, I tried the suggested 2N5088s but they were oscillating in my build so I swapped in some much lower gain 2N3904 which did the trick.

Overall I really like it. With the bias control you can easily make it sound really good, or kinda weird and messed up. It's a fun and inspiring pedal

No I haven't sorry Riffster. Are you looking to build one?

The Honeybee and Sweet Honey OD seem to be the most popular Supro in a box pedals and schematics and layouts are available for both

Had a very productive day...

First I drilled a bunch of holes for my amp attenuators...

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

Next I finished a larger version for a friend's 50 watt Marshall...

DSC_0034.jpg

Then I finished up another one of these boosters

DSC_0012-4.jpg

And finally I swirled a couple of boxes...

IMG_3388.jpg

Think maybe I will chill out and have a beer or two now. Not a bad day's work...

Wow that's an impressive days work pup! I guess those attenuators probably don't take long, but wow that's a lot of stuff!

I did some building myself yesterday. One I may be posting later, one I think I'm gonna rip the guts out and use the enclosure for something else. It's a Zvex Machine clone and I'm just not diggin the sound of this build

photo_zpse7e43a56.jpg

photo_zpsc8404b2f.jpg

Alright. This pedal is just freaking awesome. It's based on the Creepy Fingers Doomidrive, which is based on the Univox Unidrive. An old overdrive that Jimi and Jimmy both used a bit apparently

It has lots of gain, and sounds fat but with a tight low end. Perfect for gnarly riff rockin! This pedal straddles the line between overdrive and fuzz and sounds awesome

Man I wish I knew enough about pedals to really comment.. But it sure looks like some good work going on here [thumbup]

This pedal straddles the line between overdrive and fuzz and sounds awesome

That's a good line to straddle! [thumbup] And did you spray that amazing finish?

Man I wish I knew enough about pedals to really comment.. But it sure looks like some good work going on here [thumbup]

You're welcome no matter what you know about [smile]

Also this thread is for guitar DIY in general, so feel free to post anything you want about guitar builds, mods, repairs, etc

I want one of...everything.

[thumbup] [thumbup]

Me too. That's why I'm addicted to building pedals!

That's a good line to straddle! [thumbup] And did you spray that amazing finish?

Yeah, and you can definitely include boost in the mix too!

I didn't spray this finish. I got several different powder coated enclosures from pedalpartsplus which are the best/prettiest pre finished enclosures I've seen. The customer service seems great too, I recommend shopping there

I got several different powder coated enclosures from pedalpartsplus which are the best/prettiest pre finished enclosures I've seen. The customer service seems great too, I recommend shopping there

I have gotten some stuff from them, but not anything they painted. That woodgrain look is sick.