Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

Your wah looks awesome! My crybaby always leaves me wanting more.. The only wah I really desire is the Castledine Vox clone but it's prohibitively expensive. He sells a drop in board which is also very expensive

I'm not really into the wahs with knobs and switches either. I just want one sound that's so good I don't have to **** with anything

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice stands! I would be interested

Couple of ideas/suggestions. Felt strips where the instrument touches the wood( nitro safe). Maybe make the front part of the stand ( the wood brace that holds the guitar from kicking out) make that adjustable for different width of instruments?

How would he make each different?

Very good suggestions Drog, and thanks for your input.

These are made by steam-bending and laminating each piece - he doesn't use flat stock that''s simply cut with a band saw. As far as making each stand different goes - that's a question for my son. A lot of thought is put into the designs (and more math than a bass-player is capable of understanding). If you are interested in one or want more info on the process - please PM me, and I'll give you my son's email address & phone number.

Here are some links to more pics of the two he's built so far. The Cherry stand was a gift to me. The Oak stand is for sale.

http://s135.photobuc.../Cherry%20Stand

http://s135.photobuc...how/Oak%20Stand

Your wah looks awesome! My crybaby always leaves me wanting more.. The only wah I really desire is the Castledine Vox clone but it's prohibitively expensive. He sells a drop in board which is also very expensive

I'm not really into the wahs with knobs and switches either. I just want one sound that's so good I don't have to **** with anything

Same here, I essentially wanted a wah with a switch that I could go from rhythm to lead so to speak and that is exactly what this mod did. Each of the 4 switch combinations have a particular sound and they are all useable, I am really happy with it.

I saw Black Star Riders recently and Damon Johnson was using a Jerry Cantrell Signature CryBaby that sounded awesome but that wah does have a knob on the side.

By the way Dub the reason I needed a way to tweak my wah is that I have a couple of guitars that have a lot of mid-range already and then I have a Marshall SL-5 that has a Vintage 30 in it, sending more mid-range from the wah is simply overkill.

Hey, meant to ask you have you ever built a Tommy Bolin Fuzz/Sam Ash Fuzzz/Astro Tone/Zephyr Fuzz? not sure if they are all exactly the same or very similar.

I totally dig the smooth sound of these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9jtYcOs5ec

That one has never really jumped out at me to build it for some reason, but I'm pretty sure I have the parts to build one. As it is, I'm liking my modded fuzz faces for clear crunchy and smoove fuzzery. The fuzz control is changed to perform the same function as turning down your guitar's volume. It gives a range of clearer sounds that I find work great in a band (though the max setting still is sadly awesome at home but terrible with a band)

No, it would be like this (ignore the values listed)

photo-2450.jpg

The problem with the method that you described is that when one resistor is engaged, the other is shorted out so basically in either position the signal will follow the path of least resistance and have no resistance at all

Say, I was thinking I could use a switch set up like this in those enclosures I received with an extra hole to do something similar. I'm thinking a switch to allow more low end through on my booster circuits - would make it good for bass or some low end sludge rock. [thumbup]

Or or or if you're building on vero I can show you how to keep both caps on board and use an SPDT if you dunno how

Turret board. So it'll look more like the diagram you drew. Though I could put both caps into the one turret to avoid them flapping around and just run wires to the switch.

Turret board. So it'll look more like the diagram you drew. Though I could put both caps into the one turret to avoid them flapping around and just run wires to the switch.

You got it!

Here's something I'm working on right now which has a 6 way cap selector which switches both input and output caps simultaneously. It has a couple cap selections which are mostly for use with bass or keys, and 4 that are centered around use for guitar

It's a classic fuzz face at heart with some awesome 2N404 PNP germs. I added a charge pump to eliminate the need to use a battery. You can daisy chain this with the rest of your pedals. The traditional fuzz control is an internal trimpot while a pregain control allows the user to control the amount of fuzz. The pregain is the same as turning your guitar's volume knob down, it has a much more usable range than the traditional fuzz control. The pregain is also foot switchable so you can have a cleaner setting and then hit the switch for the maximum amount of fuzz (which is set by the internal trimpot)

I'm currently finishing up the first batch of 3, then I'll be making a bunch more because my friend has a list of people wanting to buy them.

31F4CDD9-2932-4FF9-81B1-0ECD32D32C3C_zpsptaljj3e.jpg

It's a classic fuzz face at heart with some awesome 2N404 PNP germs. I added a charge pump to eliminate the need to use a battery. You can daisy chain this with the rest of your pedals. The traditional fuzz control is an internal trimpot while a pregain control allows the user to control the amount of fuzz. The pregain is the same as turning your guitar's volume knob down, it has a much more usable range than the traditional fuzz control. The pregain is also foot switchable so you can have a cleaner setting and then hit the switch for the maximum amount of fuzz (which is set by the internal trimpot)

Man, that sounds like the perfect Fuzz Face. [love] You've solved all of its problems and improved it tremendously from the user end. [thumbup]

Thanks hombre

It was designed in conjunction with my friend Matt. He's a pro studio session musician, and has a great ear for guitar gear. He and I created the idea for the pedal and I'm making it work

I love hanging out with this guy because I get to try his cool pedals that I'm curious about like his Klon Centaur and DAM Sonic Titan and all kinds of other great stuff. It always digresses into hours of nerd talk and gear shootouts :)

I've done voluminous DIY stuff around the house, yard and cars. I'm a fair hand at electrical work and have done some minor electronic repair. Recently I've gotten a hankering to build a small, battery powered, portable, guitar amplifier, think PigNose size without the price. I'm hoping to be able to keep a Squire Strat at work then take it, the amp and a sandwich to the court yard to practice some Jazz licks at lunch. My regular amplifier is heavier than sin and takes up too much real estate in the small closet.

I've got a number of speakers in derelict speaker boxes that I would like to re-purpose.

I've also considered purchasing a small, used, FirstAct or similar, amp from a re-sale shop. Reasoning that 110 volts is probably stepped down, at some point, to something more battery like, I figure one could tap a battery pack into the power supply after the transformer, then dispense with the 110 power cord. Or, keep the cord, then add a selector switch to alternate between household electricity and battery.

Where do I start?

Just made a new demo video for my Baby Fat booster...

Great job on the demo! The booster sounds great and in the full boost settings when you're not playing it seems pretty quiet

And lol thanks believe it or not that's my first "batch" of pedals that I've built at once. Do you build in batches or one at a time? I'll be doing more/bigger batches from now on. It's much more efficient for me

Do you build in batches or one at a time? I'll be doing more/bigger batches from now on. It's much more efficient for me

It certainly is more efficient, though don't you find it a bit more boring as well? But yeah, I'll build two of something at once. Usually not three - except for my attenuators which I will do four at a time sometimes just to keep up with demand. To combat the boredom factor, I just crank up some tunes and crack open a cold one. [thumbup]

010_zps61b84cf4.jpg

I could not find an original case for my Mosrite without braking the bank, so I built one.

This thing is a tank. Think I kind of went "overboard" with it though.

But damn, it sure is sturdy

The case looks great but I can't take my eyes off that mosrite

Thanks. I am kind of fond of the guitar myself.

I found the Mosrite at a garage sale with the neck removed, but the neck and parts came with the sale. I got every thing for a whopping $75.00. Only missing the tremelo arm.

I originally painted it a stock Mosrite maroon color about 20 years ago, but because I upgraded the bridge to a non stock Mosrite bridge, I fiqured sense it was no longer stock, I painted it this candy pearl orange.

It has that great Mosrite sound, and plays great.

I'm jealous of that deal. I go to every garage sale I see just hoping to find something like that but everyone just has baby toy junk around here

Excellent choice on the sparkle orange btw that's probably the coolest mosrite I've seen

In the past I've had a lot of trouble with getting the Tone Bender MKI circuit to work properly. I'd get a good sound, but something about it was never perfect to me. I've finally thrown it on the breadboard to try swapping around a bunch of transistors, but I'm getting some impressive sounds just with the random stuff I grabbed to make my layout. It's pretty surprising to me because I wouldn't normally associate these lower leakage transistors with a good sounding MKI. What I have on the breadboard sounds good enough to box up!

1B8C01C2-6410-4F60-8F46-51D926D5FAFF_zps6xptms3i.jpg

That's a cool way to tweak the design of a pedal!

I picked this up today, bone stock $20, since I already have the parts to mod it it'll cost me nothing. Once I mod it I'll give it to my brother in law, he is a good lead player I bet he will love it.

E1F6E891-AEE7-4596-879A-381432E4B6FD_zpsozxveadv.jpg

Archived