Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

Oh yeah! I've got knobs installed on the back so I can use it just like a pedal :P It's not a good idea to tweak component values in the MKI, as it is a FICKLE BEAST, but you need to try about 100 different transistors before you get the ones. In this case I threw in some AC125 and called it a day. It's sounding great!

Where'd you buy that wah wah? Guitar Center? I've got a vintage Colorsound Wow pedal right now it's inductorless and has an amazing sound

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish you didn't live so far away so you could check out this MKI and Colorsound with my Rickenbacker.. It's freakin beautiful

Do you have some solder wick or a pump? Should make removing the old components a little easier/neater. Personally I absolutely hate working on an already assembled PCB. I'm always destroying the pads and traces then having to work around the damage

Those Colorsounds look really cool. I am not well versed on Tone Benders other than knowing that Jimmy Page used them.

What kind of sound can you get out of this MKI?

I have desoldering wick but need to get better at using it, I trashed my other CryBaby, I had to jump a few traces but I feel more confident now and know exactly what not to do.

I had to build one to try and get this sound

http://youtu.be/0pzMjZSchFg

I honestly can't stand this singer but the rest of the song is amazing. Check out that solo with the original MKI

The MKI is an English interpretation of the first fuzz circuit ever, the Maestro FZ-1 (by Gibson). The FZ-1 operates at 3v and is powered by 2 AA batteries. The MKI runs at 9V and is basically tweaked to sound fatter and with more sustain, though you can still hear some characteristics from the FZ-1 come through

I like the FZ-1 with humbuckers and the MKI with single coils.

Jimmy Page used the MKII (third version) Tone Bender which is completely different from the MKI. The MKII is basically a Fuzz Face with an extra gain stage at the front end. It's high gain and doesn't have the gated, sputtery, compressed sound of the MKI. Jimmy later switched to the MKIII Tone Bender, which is again a completely different circuit and also has a tone control

The MKII is the favorite for most people. I like them all and the copies they inspired

Yep! All 5 wires that run through conduit in the hinge to the license plate lights had broken from use/old age and were causing a short. Some cramped quarters soldering in there, but it went perfectly.

I had to build one to try and get this sound

http://youtu.be/0pzMjZSchFg

I honestly can't stand this singer but the rest of the song is amazing. Check out that solo with the original MKI

The MKI is an English interpretation of the first fuzz circuit ever, the Maestro FZ-1 (by Gibson). The FZ-1 operates at 3v and is powered by 2 AA batteries. The MKI runs at 9V and is basically tweaked to sound fatter and with more sustain, though you can still hear some characteristics from the FZ-1 come through

I like the FZ-1 with humbuckers and the MKI with single coils.

Jimmy Page used the MKII (third version) Tone Bender which is completely different from the MKI. The MKII is basically a Fuzz Face with an extra gain stage at the front end. It's high gain and doesn't have the gated, sputtery, compressed sound of the MKI. Jimmy later switched to the MKIII Tone Bender, which is again a completely different circuit and also has a tone control

The MKII is the favorite for most people. I like them all and the copies they inspired

The singer is Rod Stewart...

I love that tone, I like those smooth but with an edge tones

Really? I thought it was a black guy. I guess Jeff used several different singers? I dunno much about him really except that his guitar sounds rad

You should get a Tone Bender for sure. They're pretty much the best

I think you may want to avoid ones that are based on the two transistor Vox models. It's basically just a really bright fuzz face. To most people it's harsh. The two transistor Solasound version is fat and smooth

You'd probly love a MKI unless you aren't a fan of gated fuzz. Mine isn't too gated, but a lot of builders make them gated to a point that is somewhat unusable to me..

Everyone loves a good MKII. Lotsa shitty sounding clones out there trying to make a buck though

The MKIII is cool, but it's descendent the Buzzaround is way cooler. Pretty much throw out your Big Muff and get a Buzzaround

I am not a big Beck fan after those years, that era with Rod Stewart and Ron Wood is what I like, my brother in law is older then me and introduced me to all those records.

Looks like I will eventually get a Tone Bender, right now I am gassing bad for a MojoHand FX Iron Bell.

Almost bought a Fuzz Face mini silicon for $60 locally but I am going to hold off for the Iron Bell.

Got my MKI circuit moved from the breadboard to stripboard. I should be boxing it up tomorrow (today?). My girlfriend got me a huge stash of NOS resistors and caps. Mostly really cool Dale 1/2w 1% resistors. Should make some killer mojo fuzz faces!

4B7016CC-F7E4-4CC7-A49C-3565F05FC97C_zpsdbanavv8.jpg

Thanks dude! What's under your iron?

Also, I think I forgot to post guts for my raw metal trapezoid germanium FF type thing.. Nothing special to look at, but it's a very durable and good sounding pedal

00A5A621-984D-45F5-9215-6021B73D7EAB_zpsoinl7oqb.jpg

I've been using this one in my band and it just sounds so awesome. Shines through the mix and completely rips

Very cool!

If it's an input/output cap switch, definitely try a rotary switch! I just got a cool one for a Rangemaster build. This one is one of the little green alphas. 9mm wide and about as tall as their regular 16mm pot. Easily fits in a 1590B with a circuit board on top. It's an SP6T so you can use it to get 6 bass settings!

That might seem like overkill at first, but it's great to have two different treble boost settings, two midrange settings, and two bass settings

Just finished the Big Toe booster with the added bass boost on the input cap.

Subtle difference in guitar, but I bet the switch is really effective on a

bass guitar. I just gotta get my bass back from our singer to try it out.

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

Nice work pup! It should be less noticeable with a standard tuned guitar and a guitar amp. Tune down to c standard and I'm sure you'll hear it come into play.

By the way, you can blend between two input caps on a pot if you'd like to try that. Actually it doesn't really blend between them like some tone controls, it adds the larger value in parallel to the lower value, adding them together and lowering the cutoff freq

It's very simple, just get a 100K pot and a small cap and a big cap. I'll draw you a diagram if you'd like

Archived