Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a chunky-looking neck! [thumbup]

Well I certainly try to keep the neck heal area as thick as I can... The neck itself is about 25mm thick ish... Not too fat...

Got the pickup cavities done today.. That ALL the wood work done for this build.. Just a few screw holes to drill... and then I have to try and make the decision on which colour to make it :-k :)

DSC_1896_zpsxvng2qlj.jpg

DSC_1902_zpsu4nwok1p.jpg

And that walnut top one is pretty much ready.. Just needs a good buffing now and I can put the hardware on.

DSC_1908_zps9wqu1hxe.jpg

I decided on doing something today I hadn't planned for.. but im feeling pretty confident about my tool skills so decided to do it anyway :)

Nothing too drastic..

But I decided that if im going to use a lightish colour for the top, and I don't want to use a pickguard that I wanted to cover the neck tenon with maple so the whole top is the same colour.. rather than having the single piece of mahogany showing... usually they just cover that up with a pickguard...

So this is what I did...

Chiselled out some of the top of the tenon..

DSC_1881_zpsiaeqvuz7.jpg

then got an offcut from the top (why its always good to keep the offcuts)

DSC_1878_zpsyveza9ui.jpg

Cut it to size

DSC_1880_zpsuoe9prjn.jpg

and glued it in.. it fit very snug so I will just leave it like that to dry over night and then sand it all down flush. Should look pretty good

DSC_1885_zps1l9noyce.jpg

DSC_1886_zpsq8sqpkjc.jpg

THEN I can finally colour it [thumbup] (after more sanding of course [rolleyes] )

Blue.

Electric Blue.

It should be blue to replace the one that didn't make it.

The Rabswood Phoenix.

If you must have green it should be a deep, luminous metallic.

And I want all of those pedals too!!!!! GAS!!!

Blue.

Electric Blue.

The Rabswood Phoenix.

If you must have green it should be a deep, luminous metallic.

And I want all of those pedals too!!!!! GAS!!!

Hmm, im not quite ready for that yet.. its still too soon [crying] :)

I actually officially killed that guitar last week... It just wasn't right....

Its weird actually, that green was meant to be like a racing green or at least that what I thought I was buying and when I tested it I liked it the least of all the colours I have.. Then over time I kept coming back to that aqua type colour.. We will see what actually happens the day I stain it :)

So I was looking around the guitar today to make sure I hadn't missed anything and realised I hadn't done the side dots yet... DOHHHH!!! ;)

But no worries.. all done now

DSC_1873_zpszucbpn0l.jpg

d5b48c49-00c5-42b8-a88e-db751484cf34_zpsnle3saws.jpg

And then heres that maple insert all sanded flush... I think it does look better than that mahogany

DSC_1893_zpsgvyr7sz3.jpg

DSC_1892_zpsmfu71fgg.jpg

SO that really is it... Didn't have time to colour it today but it will be done next week now .. cant wait :)

So I was looking around the guitar today to make sure I hadn't missed anything and realised I hadn't done the side dots yet... DOHHHH!!! ;)

But no worries.. all done now

DSC_1873_zpszucbpn0l.jpg

d5b48c49-00c5-42b8-a88e-db751484cf34_zpsnle3saws.jpg

And then heres that maple insert all sanded flush... I think it does look better than that mahogany

DSC_1893_zpsgvyr7sz3.jpg

DSC_1892_zpsmfu71fgg.jpg

SO that really is it... Didn't have time to colour it today but it will be done next week now .. cant wait :)

Wow, just WOW Rabs. Your builds just keep getting better and better. If I wasnt across the pond Id probably own one by now. Keep up the great work and Im sure youll be a great success.

Johnny

Wow, just WOW Rabs. Your builds just keep getting better and better. If I wasnt across the pond Id probably own one by now. Keep up the great work and Im sure youll be a great success.

Johnny

Thank you sir, I appreciate that..

Sadly im yet to get any orders or sales... Really not easy to break in to this.. But I have a couple of trade shows coming up in the next six months where I will hopefully sell a few... Plus I have a marketing email coming out soon from one of the show organisers which apparently will reach 7500 people, all who went to these shows...

So heres hoping....

Thank you sir, I appreciate that..

Sadly im yet to get any orders or sales... Really not easy to break in to this.. But I have a couple of trade shows coming up in the next six months where I will hopefully sell a few... Plus I have a marketing email coming out soon from one of the show organisers which apparently will reach 7500 people, all who went to these shows...

So heres hoping....

Good luck with the shows and I really hope the marketing pays off. It has been really enjoyable watching your builds.

I'm liking the brown best so far

Have you thought about just moving the neck pickup closer to the fretboard to cover up the tenon? I've noticed that most classic electric guitar designs have the neck pickup mounted directly under what would be the 24th fret if they were 24 fret guitars. There is a harmonic there which is two octaves up from the open string, and it is a sweet spot on the string.

Just a thought, you could maybe kill two birds with one stone there

I'm liking the brown best so far

Have you thought about just moving the neck pickup closer to the fretboard to cover up the tenon? I've noticed that most classic electric guitar designs have the neck pickup mounted directly under what would be the 24th fret if they were 24 fret guitars. There is a harmonic there which is two octaves up from the open string, and it is a sweet spot on the string.

Just a thought, you could maybe kill two birds with one stone there

Yes well my issue with that is that I want the tenon to be a bit longer than that.... If I put the pickup right next to the end of the fretboard id be a bit worried about the strength of that...

Like with the Double Cut Special... Mine is a bit further than maybe I wanted but should work fine... We will find out soon enough :)

dDSCN1289_zpsbfulcpwi.jpg

Yeah I see what you mean. If the mahog was just peeking through like 1/4" or 3/8" before dying into the pickup it wouldn't look bad, but there's not much room to play with. The thing with the patch is that even if you do a perfect job it's a negative thing.

Yeah I see what you mean. If the mahog was just peeking through like 1/4" or 3/8" before dying into the pickup it wouldn't look bad, but there's not much room to play with. The thing with the patch is that even if you do a perfect job it's a negative thing.

Well im hoping to get the edge darker so hopefully it will look ok... ( I think this is why many DCs have a pickguard)

Im not sure if it will be a negative thing.. certainly not in terms of playability or anything... we will see very soon what the end result of it will be.

This is still me experimenting .... And I still have many many more ideas to come yet... :)

Blue.

Electric Blue.

The Rabswood Phoenix.

Ha, funny you should have said that.....

I did the staining today.. Did NOT go to plan... I tried that aqua colour, and it was like it had totally lost its pigment.. Obviously I shook the bottle and stuff.. Just nothing...

I did make a full video about it which I will post when its done (after I have some oil on it)....

So in the end, I was all ready to go, didn't want to stop so I went to plan C and this is what happened :)

P1010431_zpsy1jedfht.jpg

P1010437_zpsexi2rihu.jpg

P1010439_zpsydeqoigg.jpg

You will see its not a burst as such.. and when I post the vid you will (hopefully) see why I didn't do that.. What I did instead was make the non flamy bits darker and the flamy bits lighter.... So its not a burst but I kind of went with what the grain of the wood looked like.. When I tried the burst it kind of looked a bit patchy where the flamed ended... So I worked it back and forth and ended up with that...

Actually those pics don't really do the finish justice.... So heres a quick preview of the vid I will make when I flash the flame :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJkMGFrQCd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJkMGFrQCd8

That's pretty cool it kinda has the illusion of being a carved top. Really nice [thumbup]

Cheers man, im pretty happy with it too... And once the finish goes on it will (hopefully) look really good and make it all really pop... :)

Archived