Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my Korina today.. Really nice slab.. Also picked up a Korina neck blank at the same time....

Heavy too.. will probably do some weight relief... OR I may skip using the spalted top I planned to use and just do a slab body guitar.. decisions decisions :) What I will probably do is cut the shape out and see how the weight is at that point and make the decision then.

DSC_0052_zpsysfvv8j4.jpg

DSC_0054_zps9tltq8lb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

As you can guess, it's not guitar related.

I moved to Florida one year ago tomorrow, Jan 9

I found out that every one seems to have riding lawnmowers because the lots are so large.

I kind of fell into repairing the riding lawn mowers, but made a " rat rod" mower for myself.

Then I find out they have lawn mower races about 15 min from my house, it kind of got me thinking. hhmmm

post-42313-072771500 1483908957_thumb.jpg

As you can guess, it's not guitar related.

I moved to Florida one year ago tomorrow, Jan 9

I found out that every one seems to have riding lawnmowers because the lots are so large.

I kind of fell into repairing the riding lawn mowers, but made a " rat rod" mower for myself.

Then I find out they have lawn mower races about 15 min from my house, it kind of got me thinking. hhmmm

That looks great Bill, glad to see you are doing well.

Cool piece, I would have guessed this one.

that would look killer on an SG.

Knowing me it will probably be a double cut shape :)

Possibly something like this

lt-top-600_zpsyqzqlltr.jpg

or this

spalted1_zps9omefssm.jpg

Well you can see what ive got in my head roughly anyway

That's an interesting one Dub!

1 gain(?) 1 tone?

What pedals with tubes in do you like?

(Apart from the Fulltone TTE!)

I haven't tried that many to be honest. The Effectrode PM-2C is really cool.

This build that I did is similar to a Valvecaster, but the controls on mine are just gain and master volume.

The thing is, the plate voltage is too low to get proper performance from the tube. The gain and headroom are compromised, but the final resulting sound is really nice. The sound is sorta like an extension of the guitar and amp. It doesn't add anything crazy except some volume and grit. If you've ever tried a Super Hard On, those are much louder than this, but this adds a nice breakup and boost that won't cause an overly shocking volume spike when you're playing live.

Since this is just using a regular 9V-12VDC adapter it's actually a pretty nice inexpensive project.

I drilled the hole for the tube socket with a hole saw btw. It was really easy to do with the aluminum enclosure

Here's a pic of the insides. No circuit board in this guy

31121801-40DC-4A14-99B6-08DB2407B620_zps3flrs1zl.jpg

While I was buying parts at StewMac I picked up a set of nickel plated brass saddles for my Epiphone ES335. The saddles were a direct drop in and a nice upgrade to the stock pot metal saddles that were falling apart in addition of being notched for narrow spacing, even narrower than the spacing on the tail piece.

I am setting these to the Gibson USA string spacing at the bridge for a more familiar feel and better alignment with the pickup poles.

Now I need to figure out exactly how to do it.

CDCACE29-E01E-4287-9F16-4E528E19AD3E_zpsgspk5axn.jpg

That looks great Bill, glad to see you are doing well.

Hi Jorge. How have you been. Have. Not spoken to you in a while.

Made the move to Florida last year, boy what a culture shock !

Whole different life style than so Ca.

While I was buying parts at StewMac I picked up a set of nickel plated brass saddles for my Epiphone ES335. The saddles were a direct drop in and a nice upgrade to the stock pot metal saddles that were falling apart in addition of being notched for narrow spacing, even narrower than the spacing on the tail piece.

I am setting these to the Gibson USA string spacing at the bridge for a more familiar feel and better alignment with the pickup poles.

Now I need to figure out exactly how to do it.

CDCACE29-E01E-4287-9F16-4E528E19AD3E_zpsgspk5axn.jpg

Looked great Jorge , my brother just bought an Epiphone ES335 . I am kind of jealous because he basically stole it. Thinking about one myself, but I certainly don't need any more guitars.

Beautiful color on yours .

Hi Jorge. How have you been. Have. Not spoken to you in a while.

Made the move to Florida last year, boy what a culture shock !

Whole different life style than so Ca.

Been good Bill, my wife and I had a second daughter 5 months ago during my busy time of the year at work so I have net been very active around here but now that work is slow and the baby is getting easier I am back here, playing and tinkering with guitars as usual.

I am sure your life changed quite a bit, that was quite a move. I had wondered a few times how you were doing down there.

I'll tell you this Epiphone is a great looking guitar and sounds greta but it has been a labor of love ever since I go it, the devil is in the details but hey it's a cheap guitar and all the fixes have been cheap too.

Been good Bill, my wife and I had a second daughter 5 months ago during my busy time of the year at work so I have net been very active around here but now that work is slow and the baby is getting easier I am back here, playing and tinkering with guitars as usual.

I am sure your life changed quite a bit, that was quite a move. I had wondered a few times how you were doing down there.

I'll tell you this Epiphone is a great looking guitar and sounds greta but it has been a labor of love ever since I go it, the devil is in the details but hey it's a cheap guitar and all the fixes have been cheap too.

Well congratulations Jorge on the new little one. Did not realize it had been five months since we spoke. When they are that young, they certainly can take up some of your tine, but it is so worth it.

Don't be a stranger . Good talking to you Jorge.

Started my new build today with this Korina....

And already ive done something a bit odd.. [rolleyes]

Well not too odd.. but you know how normally people would orientate the grain on a guitar like this

DSC_0087_zpsfivgpacz.jpg

Well ive gone and done it like this :D

DSC_0092_zps2gpxhhto.jpg

What do you think?

Well its too late now anyway but I just thought id ask

Im quite proud of my jigsaw skills :)

DSC_0097_zps3duz1aaj.jpg

DSC_0101_zpsyvuyxlpk.jpg

Man I love how it looks down the sides

DSC_0111_zpsovn2smjo.jpg

Its a bit thick so I may even attempt a carved top with this or just take off like 7mm or so off the top... But id like to do a carved top, I just need to do a little practice first...

DSC_0118_zpsqozcy9yo.jpg

I did think about hollowing it out and sticking that spalted maple top I have on it, but it seems a shame to waste such pretty wood... and its not too crazy.. Comes in at 6.5lbs

212948de-16b7-4b0f-aed7-15774bbfca80_zpstk1dexn9.jpg

Didn't get too much done today, had a lot of sorting out and tidying up to do so I just marked the neck out ready for its truss rod tomorrow

DSC_0106_zpshvhmysai.jpg

DSC_0108_zpssb54ppxn.jpg

DSC_0110_zpsrryknelc.jpg

So there we are... Was good to get back in to work today.. More very soon :)

• 2 weeks later...

Heres the latest... Havent had much time to do this build the last week or so but im back to it now.. I got that show at the end of Feb so want this guitar ready for then (which im sure it will be).

So I finished the inlays by rubbing ebony sawdust around the edges and the put super glue over the top.. This just makes sure any tiny holes are filled and its sealed from the top...

DSC_0085_zpsdl31c0tm.jpg

DSC_0086_zpsf5p5zh9f.jpg

Then once it was dried I sanded off the excess

DSC_0089_zpsf2qu5fxa.jpg

DSC_0090_zpslfr4skmy.jpg

Then I cut it down to size

DSC_0093_zpsygfz5ldz.jpg

Then it was time for the truss rod

DSC_0095_zps6lliqro4.jpg

DSC_0101_zpsuroakqyg.jpg

DSC_0104_zpsctvw1pdm.jpg

DSC_0111_zpsg76hkrs2.jpg

Then it all gets glued and clamped together

DSC_0120_zpstdxdnpog.jpg

So that was all for now... I have decided what pickups and bridge this build is getting.. A Burstbucker 2 in the bridge and a P94 in the neck with a wraparound adjustable tailstop/bridge (in black) and I got some black Gotoh tuners on the way too :)

Next really is for me to carve the top, but im not 100% sure about it at the moment so I want to do a few more practice runs until im happy I wont ruin this lovely bit of wood :)

More soon.

Cool Rabs! As always I'm looking forward to following along with another cool build!

Are you sanding the fretboard flat, or does it have a radius?

Man I just got a new Festool saw that is so awesome. Wish I could get their whole catalog now

Flat at the moment.. Next I will shape the neck to its rough dimensions and then radius the board then the frets go on :)

Just finished off my first build. Body is locust and a cherry top finger board is walnut. Now I need to build an amp. Plays quite well. Needs a good set of pickups to be complete. Inlays are a lot harder than they look....at least for me.

IMG_1572_zpspxstykim.jpg

IMG_4285_zpsx8evv1hz.jpg

I routed it in steps and then sanded off the high spots.

The proper way [thumbup]

Ive been experimenting with using an angle grinder... It does work well and is a quick way but needs some practice to do it properly.

Archived