Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

Well with my pickup fiasco (see Guitar Shop Rant thread) I have now decided to go for a Seymour Duncan Phat cat in the neck and some other 57 type pickup (probably also SD) in the bridge... So this is now my rough idea for this latest build

What do you reckon

Imagekjkj1_zpszkxqa6ll.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I notice the top wrap tail piece bridge. Are there advantages with having? How about compared to a roller bridge? So many combinations of hardware available. I have a fairly cheap TOM it's working nicely after considerable filing but would like to upgrade to something better than the cheapest on Amazon the day I ordered parts. All my experience is in acoustics where bridge alterations are a bit more work.

I notice the top wrap tail piece bridge. Are there advantages with having? How about compared to a roller bridge? So many combinations of hardware available. I have a fairly cheap TOM it's working nicely after considerable filing but would like to upgrade to something better than the cheapest on Amazon the day I ordered parts. All my experience is in acoustics where bridge alterations are a bit more work.

Well yeah.. Working out what hardware to use can be quite difficult just cos theres so many options... Theres an online guitar designer that I use to test out what I think will look good or not

http://www.frankmontag.com/editors.htm

And well in this case the guitar is going to be a double cut shape, and theres always something about that wrapover look... the reason im using the one I have rather than a traditional one is that you still get good intonation control with the adjustable saddles.

this is the real life version

s-l16d00_zpsotpspo7e.jpg

I hear lots of good things about Tone Pro bridges... And Gotoh stuff is really decent too...

Yo..

Well today was a big one.. I decided to do a carve on the body for this latest build.. ive only ever tried it twice before with okish results.... so I did a test first...

Heres a spare body I have that's about the same thinckness as the one im using for this build.

DSC_0093_zps5l4tnbrm.jpg

First I routed for the binding, leaving enough room for the carve

DSC_0096_zpsct1f2i6c.jpg

Then I marked around the body using the binding to let me know how far down to carve

DSC_0098_zpswinghs2h.jpg

DSC_0101_zpsl1zc51ke.jpg

Then I marked the body (roughly) to show me how far in to carve (using my angle grinder)

DSC_0102_zpsphd2ltm1.jpg

And here it is.. All those black marks are just from the angle grinder

DSC_0104_zpswu4gkn9d.jpg

Then I go at it with my sander sanding off around the carve to make it all smooth

DSC_0105_zpsfuuqf6ch.jpg

And here we go.. Not too bad I reckon?

DSC_0106_zpsah2t0ffw.jpg

DSC_0110_zpsozn6tidy.jpg

The binding fits nicely too

DSC_0107_zps69bwlisj.jpg

So next is the real thing... [crying] I will do the next post soon.

So here we go......

Marked the body out

DSC_0113_zpsswaea0pc.jpg

Did the binding channel

DSC_0114_zpsnkft9gqu.jpg

Marked where to carve down too

bb8274ae-8554-4b3e-8bc4-6d72a56abffc_zpsyfp4eft5.jpg

And went at it.. Heres the results :) (im pretty happy with that)

DSC_0117_zpssg4hdvqy.jpg

DSC_0118_zpsdbffhvel.jpg

DSC_0120_zpsv2ido0lk.jpg

Also rounded the back over with the rabbeting bit

DSC_0124_zpsuhvvwxgm.jpg

DSC_0126_zpsagdi7op9.jpg

And heres the top again in different light

DSC_0130_zpsjyw9y90v.jpg

DSC_0131_zpswjo8phgg.jpg

So there we go... PHEWWWW !! :)

Am waiting on some binding now to come in the post which will be here within a couple of days... Tomorrow will be getting the neck ready.. More very soon.

Are you gonna do a clear oil finish on that Rabs? Looking cool so far

I finished wiring up the Revibe build and it sounds better than I expected actually. The trem is pretty much instantly the coolest trem I've heard, and the reverb can go from subtle to pretty ridiculous. Actually a little too ridiculous maybe. I'm gonna see if maybe a 6K6 tames it a little. Also no noise from the trem at all. There is a little bit of noise if I crank the knobs on the reverb so I gotta see if I can fix that but at that point my amp is already feeding back from mega reverb overkill anyways

So to sum it up.. it sounds ridiculously awesome and I'm freakin stoked. Very cramped build with the Weber board and chassis though. If the chassis were 1/2" taller the tube sockets would be a lot easier to wire

Obligatory pic

F85BEBAB-06D8-4F03-BEAB-1185989D00C5_zps6iqd84tz.jpg

Are you gonna do a clear oil finish on that Rabs? Looking cool so far

Yeah I think that has to be the way to go... Just an oil finish.. Colouring such awesome looking wood I think would be a crime :)

Have to look into this method of getting the carving done. What oil do you prefer for finishes?

Tru Oil... Used it on pretty much every guitar I have built... Love it :)

And yeah theres loads of vids on youtube with people doing it.. Ive watched a lot of Crimson guitar vids.. He does it both ways. I want to do a hand carved one too but I don't have all those nice tools he has to do it...

Crimson also do a type of finishing oil.. They apparently reverse engineered Tru Oil and came up with something that they say is better cos its thinner (well they would say that)... Havent tried it but im sure its good.

I already like the tru oil so short conversation there. ;). Bought some nice wood for an up coming build. Yep , saving a lot making my own....or does it defeat the purpose when you get 300 bucks into the wood? It'll be a very nice Explorer. :).

I already like the tru oil so short conversation there. ;). Bought some nice wood for an up coming build. Yep , saving a lot making my own....or does it defeat the purpose when you get 300 bucks into the wood? It'll be a very nice Explorer. :).

I think actually one of the main points is to do it how you want it... I have also found that you don't always have to spend big money on big names to get good hardware either... Gibson stuff is just so stupidly expensive... And that goes for all of it, the tuners, pickups, bridge... It can all be got for good prices...

Schaller make pretty nice stuff and more recently ive been getting Gotoh hardware which is also nice and at a fair price.

One of the reasons actually I started all of this was because I wanted a guitar with a Humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.. I missed all the Gibsons with that combo and the one I did get (the LP BFG) had a way too fat neck for me... So I decided well if I cant buy one I will make one.. And our own Mr Searcy made the pickups for that build :)

I like to use the best materials that make sense. The best woods I can get and decent electronics. The "Hotrodded" humbuckers from SD are my choice for the Les Paul. Also the Stew mac golden age roller bridge. I like the Spezal tuners. I saw that Korina Explorer.....found some great looking wood. Got some extra ;) never know when you might "need" it.

Bassetman - The korina Explorers and Vs are the coolest!!! Are you gonna do both the Explorer and 335 or is one idea replacing the other?

I was giddy like a little school girl when I saw this 1960 Explorer! Dunno if I'll ever see another original one again!

B38FDDC0-C67B-4A26-AA91-226160020D5E_zpsr9bbqyji.jpg

Heres the latest

Did the binding

DSC_0113_zpsfl1odyfn.jpg

Here I have smoothed the edges so its all nice and flush with the binding.. I also took some of the curve of the back of the carve so its a bit more subtle now (hard to take a picture of it so heres a few)

DSC_0124_zps1f9celpq.jpg

DSC_0127_zpsm7jfb89p.jpg

DSC_0142_zpsdhjyzn1x.jpg

DSC_0157_zpsqpf0cori.jpg

DSC_0158_zps2kjbntyp.jpg

I was also looking at where to position the controls.. Probably this

DSC_0092_zpsm0sffsji.jpg

But am thinking about this

DSC_0093_zpsxzvxkldk.jpg

Both sort of at the same time. The 335 will take a lot longer for the body build. Hoping the amp kit arrives Friday. Too cold to be out side much so time to make chips and saw dust.

Where'd you buy your amp kit from?

After building my 5e3 all I want to do is play with tubes and transformers. The fun of building and learning new things about electronics plus the joy of playing with a great sounding amp.. it's like a drug! I'm in heaven every time I plug in. You're gonna love it

Heres the latest

Did the binding

DSC_0113_zpsfl1odyfn.jpg

Here I have smoothed the edges so its all nice and flush with the binding.. I also took some of the curve of the back of the carve so its a bit more subtle now (hard to take a picture of it so heres a few)

DSC_0124_zps1f9celpq.jpg

DSC_0127_zpsm7jfb89p.jpg

DSC_0142_zpsdhjyzn1x.jpg

DSC_0157_zpsqpf0cori.jpg

DSC_0158_zps2kjbntyp.jpg

I was also looking at where to position the controls.. Probably this

DSC_0092_zpsm0sffsji.jpg

But am thinking about this

DSC_0093_zpsxzvxkldk.jpg

I vote for the switch by the knobs!

Archived