Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

I needed a distraction..

So today I cut out one of my African Walnut blanks.. And like with the Korina one I did it so the lines are vertical rather than horizontal :)

Korina one will be done soon enough though.

See what you think

DSC_2180_zpse5xvtxzd.jpg

DSC_2182_zps7j65rine.jpg

DSC_2186_zpsulzxxk3i.jpg

DSC_2187_zpsvrbtp9qh.jpg

DSC_2192_zpskqyccfbf.jpg

DSC_2194_zpslzixx2nv.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I needed a distraction..

So today I cut out one of my African Walnut blanks.. And like with the Korina one I did it so the lines are vertical rather than horizontal :)

Korina one will be done soon enough though.

See what you think

DSC_2180_zpse5xvtxzd.jpg

DSC_2182_zps7j65rine.jpg

DSC_2186_zpsulzxxk3i.jpg

DSC_2187_zpsvrbtp9qh.jpg

DSC_2192_zpskqyccfbf.jpg

DSC_2194_zpslzixx2nv.jpg

I'm wondering if the grain running the other direction wouldn't want to resonate sympathetically with the neck? No?

I'm wondering if the grain running the other direction wouldn't want to resonate sympathetically with the neck? No?

Donno...?

Im not sure it will make all that much difference. We will find out when I finish it I guess... [rolleyes]

I know people must think im a bit bonkers and I probably should have at least waited to finish the Korina one first and see what happens.. But I have to do these things, I cant help it :) And its not like im building this for anyone specifically.. Its just stuff I want to try out.

I know people must think im a bit bonkers and I probably should have at least waited to finish the Korina one first and see what happens.. But I have to do these things, I cant help it :) And its not like im building this for anyone specifically.. Its just stuff I want to try out.

Mmm I think probably over half of the DIYers are like this at least SOMETIMES. For example, I started my first tube amp, then built the Revibe, now I'm working on the ac30 all before I even finished the cab for the first project. It's totally *** backwards, but we're just having fun, following our whims and stuff like that

Mmm I think probably over half of the DIYers are like this at least SOMETIMES. For example, I started my first tube amp, then built the Revibe, now I'm working on the ac30 all before I even finished the cab for the first project. It's totally *** backwards, but we're just having fun, following our whims and stuff like that

Exactly , thank you [thumbup]

Im not hurting anyone.. The very worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work and I learn not to do it again.. And then in the future when I see the next crazy builder who says they are going to try the same thing I can actually say from true experience NO that doesn't work.. Here I have proof :D

People said my half and half wouldn't work (or at least warned me against it).. It did.. over a year later it still works and has not warped or none of that... Now I know it can be done and is cool...

Why else do humans do things... Cos we can :P

Exactly , thank you [thumbup]

Im not hurting anyone.. The very worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work and I learn not to do it again.. And then in the future when I see the next crazy builder who says they are going to try the same thing I can actually say from true experience NO that doesn't work.. Here I have proof :D

People said my half and half wouldn't work (or at least warned me against it).. It did.. over a year later it still works and has not warped or none of that... Now I know it can be done and is cool...

Why else do humans do things... Cos we can :P

The nature of trying new things is sometimes reckless. My condition is a little more complex to put it gently lol

I'm hoping all these experiments can bring you down to NAMM in Anaheim sometime

The nature of trying new things is sometimes reckless. My condition is a little more complex to put it gently lol

I'm hoping all these experiments can bring you down to NAMM in Anaheim sometime

Cheers... Now that would be something wouldn't it :)

Looking great man.. [thumbup]

Are you going too put support blocks in the corners? (even though it looks pretty thick)

Thanks bud

I'm not going to put corner supports because that would make mounting the front panel a little more complicated. The glued dovetail joints are strong though, and the 3/8" strips glued on the front offer really good bracing . Even though this is a softwood, the way it's constructed is really strong, but it definitely won't be particularly resistant to dings or scratches. It's gonna need a nice slip cover to protect the wood and finish during transportation

Thanks bud

I'm not going to put corner supports because that would make mounting the front panel a little more complicated. The glued dovetail joints are strong though, and the 3/8" strips glued on the front offer really good bracing . Even though this is a softwood, the way it's constructed is really strong, but it definitely won't be particularly resistant to dings or scratches. It's gonna need a nice slip cover to protect the wood and finish during transportation

Have you thought about finishing in tru oil?? It will provide a tougher finish...

Have you thought about finishing in tru oil?? It will provide a tougher finish...

I've thought about that and shellac. May change my mind again who knows :P

Well I didn't end up staining this today but I finished the front panel. Couldn't resist a little mock-up

6CBBB6EF-497A-4AB3-A148-DE74398FAB01_zpswuw2dsdt.jpg

I've thought about that and shellac. May change my mind again who knows :P

Well I didn't end up staining this today but I finished the front panel. Couldn't resist a little mock-up

Ohh and if you are interested. I saw this vid about how to thin tru oil out a bit and helps give you a higher gloss finish than using it straight... I may try this just out of interest next time I do a finish.

The Tru Oil is actually lookin pretty good to me right now because it's been too windy outside for me to spray. If I use Tru Oil I can do it in the garage and not worry about dust

The finish that guy is getting looks great from what we can see. Think I may try it

The Tru Oil is actually lookin pretty good to me right now because it's been too windy outside for me to spray. If I use Tru Oil I can do it in the garage and not worry about dust

The finish that guy is getting looks great from what we can see. Think I may try it

It really is a great finish.... So easy to use and you don't need any safety equipment to use it.

My main tips..

Use a lint free cloth... Ive tried various different types of material and haven't quite found one I really like yet there always seems to be some degree of bits that get on there. So I have taken to using paper kitchen rolls... This also eliminates the other issue with using oil. When im done using a bit I flush it down the toilet. If you use cloth (and im sure you know this), you MUST let it dry out properly.. Don't just throw it in the bin, lay it out flat to dry... Once its dry you can throw it away safely. Or it can cause a thermal reaction if loads of them are crumpled up in a bin together and arnt getting any air.

Don't let any drips get anywhere.. This is a right pain if you get a side drip and you don't spot it till the next day, you almost have to take it back to the bare wood to get rid of it properly.. So just make sure there arnt any to begin with :)

It really is a great finish.... So easy to use and you don't need any safety equipment to use it.

My main tips..

Use a lint free cloth... Ive tried various different types of material and haven't quite found one I really like yet there always seems to be some degree of bits that get on there. So I have taken to using paper kitchen rolls... This also eliminates the other issue with using oil. When im done using a bit I flush it down the toilet. If you use cloth (and im sure you know this), you MUST let it dry out properly.. Don't just throw it in the bin, lay it out flat to dry... Once its dry you can throw it away safely. Or it can cause a thermal reaction if loads of them are crumpled up in a bin together and arnt getting any air.

Don't let any drips get anywhere.. This is a right pain if you get a side drip and you don't spot it till the next day, you almost have to take it back to the bare wood to get rid of it properly.. So just make sure there arnt any to begin with :)

Thanks brotha!

I've got some of those blue shop paper towels so I'll probably use some of those based on that video.

Air-tight waste container.. check!

Thanks brotha!

I've got some of those blue shop paper towels so I'll probably use some of those based on that video.

Air-tight waste container.. check!

Yeah ive heard about that.. I just never bothered.. I have done this for a few years now and just leave them to dry laid out flat and so far theres not been a fire.. But as said.. the use of paper towels means I just flush em.. No worries (well not as far as I know anyway)

Yeah ive heard about that.. I just never bothered.. I have done this for a few years now and just leave them to dry laid out flat and so far theres not been a fire.. But as said.. the use of paper towels means I just flush em.. No worries (well not as far as I know anyway)

Maybe you can use a sealable coffee can or somethin if you just have a rag or somethin you can't flush. One rag is dangerous but as I'm sure you know a pile of rags is like almost certainly going to ignite

Im still thinking about what hardware im going to use on that walnut guitar..

Unusually I came up with this yesterday and its kind of growing on me even though I usually stay away from gold hardware

Imakbjbkjbkjbkjbge1_zpscrhsbfpy.jpg

But failing that I will probably go with something like this

Imkkhkluykhhage1_zpspduuopwl.jpg

New plate I made for my Special a couple of years back. One of the pics shows the original alongside. Never made a complex plate like this before, so it was an interesting experience. Fitted a T498 at the same time.

post-63157-004829300 1493847086_thumb.jpg

Im still thinking about what hardware im going to use on that walnut guitar..

Unusually I came up with this yesterday and its kind of growing on me even though I usually stay away from gold hardware

Imakbjbkjbkjbkjbge1_zpscrhsbfpy.jpg

But failing that I will probably go with something like this

Imkkhkluykhhage1_zpspduuopwl.jpg

I don't usually like gold hardware either but sometimes it looks perfect with walnut. I like that you've got the black tailpiece with that too

I don't usually like gold hardware either but sometimes it looks perfect with walnut. I like that you've got the black tailpiece with that too

Yeah I reckon it could look pretty cool... And the wood will be darker than that mock up which is sapele... as I say im not usually a fan either (of gold) but in this case its just to highlight rather than be the centre piece as such.. Which is why I think a gold bridge with that would be too much...

Im still deciding. If I do it will be the first time ive ever used it so I guess I should break that cos even if you and me don't like it, I know many people out there do..

I was thinking of one of the only other times when I don't mind the gold so much is on a Black Beauty.. and even then I don't always like it.. A nicely aged 70s one is pretty cool though.

Archived