Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

the chassis early marshalls used were Fender Bassman chassis's particularly the 1959 models, so your incorrect on that statement

The JTM 45 and 1959 did indeed have a NFB control. This particular amp has a power amp section like the 1974X (the 18W), and does not.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished up the BYOC Analog Chorus today. Used a deep purple but it looks almost

mahogany or maybe black cherry. Anyway, just gave it a test play and it's pretty

sweet - a very subtle chorus sound, not as deep as I expected but it adds a nice

little bit of sparkle.

DSC_0005-4.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Dude, it looks lovely. However, I mean not to be a fuss budget, but budget the fuss I must. have some constructive advice. I think the wheel thingies go on the bottom. Just sayin'.

[flapper]

[glare]

See, the amp head would be really narrow compared to the cab, if I sat it on its wheels, so when/if I used it, I would turn it that way, so that the head would be the same width as the cab. :D Looks better that way imho.

I removed the wheels later and patched the holes as best as I could.

Nice! That looks like a fun build. I wonder if you could get a decent vibrato out of it by killing the dry signal?

I think you can, but more common is to build their vibe kit and mod it to add some chorus. At least that's what I was reading on their forum. I was researching some mods for it already. I want to make it deeper.

I think you can, but more common is to build their vibe kit and mod it to add some chorus. At least that's what I was reading on their forum. I was researching some mods for it already. I want to make it deeper.

That makes sense. I have an old CE-3 which is apparently a very similar circuit to the CE-2 but you can isolate the modulated signal by only using one of the stereo outputs and it's not very good for vibrato. The waveform is too "crooked" and weird. The controls are also very limited. Adding a blend to a VB-2 is probably the way to go.

Btw kinda off topic but I just got offered an early '70s Small Stone for $70 including shipping. I think I'm gonna go for it. It's a v2.

Btw kinda off topic but I just got offered an early '70s Small Stone for $70 including shipping. I think I'm gonna go for it. It's a v2.

You should. I was watching one today on FleaBay and it went for $81 + $12 shipping.

Anyone make anything lately? Got any cool projects going?

I soldered up a few extra TS9 pedals this weekend. Seems like I'm often behind orders instead of ahead. Feels good to be caught up. I dropped a notice in the trading post if anyone is interested.

Also wondering if anyone has any experience using lighted magnifiers to solder stuff. My eyes are getting worse with age. I usually solder wearing reading glasses, but I'm wondering about something like this...

31AfJM0fFL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

The other option seems to be lighted magnifying goggles like these...

41yy81i7L_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anyone with any experience with either of these have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

I'm workin on building a Clari(not) and a Fuzz Factory into one masive box of craziness. Should be pretty insane. I'll post pics when I got it goin

That's sick dude! Are you using Ivlark's layout for the Clari(not)? I actually just ordered some PT2399s to make some delays with..

Surfpup - I've got a populated vero board for a Maestro MFZ-1 clone but the 3PDT I was going to use for it was defective so I'm waiting for another to come on the mail.

Did you mod existing Screamers or build them from scratch? Sounds cool I'd like to see some gutshots! I can't say I've used any magnification thing, but the first option seems a lot more practical.

Did you mod existing Screamers or build them from scratch?

Yeah, basically I buy super clean used TS9s on eBay and swap out 11 parts to create one bad a$$ Tube Screamer, unless a customer has a pedal already that he wants modded.

It's pretty boring stuff, especially if I fall behind and have to do a bunch at once. However, it pays for the guitar and pedal addiction pretty well, know what I mean? [biggrin]

That's cool. Like I said before your modded Tube Screamers sound ******* awesome.

Have you tried looking around in the buy/sell/trade sections of gear forums like thegearpage, harmonycentral, etc for used TS9s? You could probably find better deals there than on eBay, although fewer and further between..

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm gonna sell this MFZ-1 to pay for another delay pedal or something. Best way to pay for gear haha :)

That's cool. Like I said before your modded Tube Screamers sound ******* awesome.

Have you tried looking around in the buy/sell/trade sections of gear forums like thegearpage, harmonycentral, etc for used TS9s? You could probably find better deals there than on eBay, although fewer and further between..

No, but that's a good idea. I'll take a look. [thumbup]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very tight build there Dub. Was this the TB you're making for Damian?

I haven't placed my order yet Jeff........I'm still recovering from getting a Les Paul and 10 pedals in a six week period......

That Dub build is exactly what I'll be ordering though; Uber clean, quality built, studio quality........Very pro build...............

Thanks guys. Honestly I made this with parts that I laying around and I wasn't too anal about neatness. The parts are nice, but I would make a better one for you Damian.

I'm still madly in love with this thing though. It sounds awesome and plays pretty well with a band.

Here's one I started yesterday. About 1/3 done, its a head cab for my Phaez Sibly.

IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3491.jpg

Also I'm improving on some things I didn't like on my Les Paul Skylark, so I have thinned the neck and am rewiring it.

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

Lastly, I found what I think is some 40 odd year old pine, so I'm working on some plans and templates for a Pine-caster.

I drew a small pickguard for it, so thats the only template I've started so far. Here's a pic:

IMG_3494.jpg

Archived