Gibson Brands Forums

what do you think of this guys "singing" voice?

S t e v e

It's not bad, for that style. Sounds like he could try to articulate a bit better, if anything. Personally I think he sounds a bit too screechy and high pitched in the high parts but that's how they do it these days it seems. More power in the low end would be nice too. But it's personal preference.

For this style, my favourite is Thomas Lindberg of At The Gates.

I'm always a bit surprised every time I think back and realise that came out in the mid 90s. Time flies!

And vocal performances aside, looking like a redhead dreadlock goblin monster is always way cooler than a semi-Justin Bieber haircut.

Overall I seem to prefer the lower pitch death growl. I'm old school that way, I suppose.

Mikael Åkerfelt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGPvsKzrRi8

Too bad he doesn't growl at all in Opeth any more.

Steve: the guy in your video doesn't have nearly enough power in his voice. He could be good if he had better breath control and knew how to stretch out his breathing to fit his lines. Also, he's growling from his throat, when he really should be growling from his esophagus and even lower.

As to the higher-pitched growls that have become common these days (especially coming out of Scandinavia): they're higher-pitched like that because they've been influenced by second-wave Norwegian black metal. Alexi Laiho, Jari Maenpaa (from Ensiferum/Wintersun) and, I would argue, Tomas Lindberg (SHO: thanks for posting that clip, by the way--I have a tendency to forget how monstrous At the Gates really was) have all been influenced by those high-pitched black metal shrieks and implemented that style, in part, into their own vocal styles. Chuck Schuldiner (from Death) started shrieking in the '90s, during his band's progressive period.

Of course, my favorite style is that of the '90s Dutch old-school death and death/doom scene. Throaty, deep, phlegm-soaked, clear and emotional:

Martin Van Drunen is the best. This can't possibly be denied:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cAE_BIsEGE

The guy from Sempiternal Deathreign is awesome, too:

My favorite recent development in metal is the resurgence of the death/doom style, with new bands like Hooded Menace and Vanhelgd taking obvious cues from bands like Asphyx and Castle. Hopefully this is something that will stay around, because it's definitely my favorite style of extreme metal, and I'd like to finally record my tracks and join the ranks of the newly-formed death/doom revival "scene" as soon as possible. Also, hopefully it won't just devolve into sh*tty gothic metal all over again, like it did the last time. Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride were NOT death/doom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxnPcTkLt88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6J70YpZL1E

I'm certain that I am showing my ignorance here, but is there any new metal with melodic singing?

On the bright side, I found something that helps me understand all the metal genres...

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=10190

Yeah there is but it's marketed under the "hard rock" category for some reason these days.

By the way I found this one here hilarious! [lol] [lol]

* GLAM METAL

The protagonist arrives, the dragon laughs at the guy's appearance and lets him enter. He steals the princess' make up and tries to paint the castle in a beautiful pink colour.

music is music ffs we like what we like, you like pop then good for you...i like melodic death metal then good for me.

WE all love music, imho if you feel the need to slag off any one genre then you have no credibility when holding a musicall instrument... [-X

Guest farnsbarns

what do you think of this guys "singing" voice?

Dunno, where can I go to listen to it?

One thing I would say is that this greedy sob has 2 haircuts. That's just not fair when there are people like you who don't have any. Share the resources man!

music is music ffs we like what we like, you like pop then good for you...i like melodic death metal then good for me.

WE all love music, imho if you feel the need to slag off any one genre then you have no credibility when holding a musicall instrument... [-X

I wouldn't take it too personally, I remember playing parties with my old band and we were all really into Death at the time... some people really hate it and feel the need to make their opinion known. I just remember the girls leaving in droves when we would play Phobophile by Cryptopsy! [lol] [lol] [lol] It just rolls off my back these days. [tongue]

Guest farnsbarns

Let's be fair, that's not singing. It is a vocal and for all I know about the genre it might be very good but I don't think you can call it singing. I think that's why Steve used the quotes on the word in his op.

It's not bad, for that style. Sounds like he could try to articulate a bit better, if anything. Personally I think he sounds a bit too screechy and high pitched in the high parts but that's how they do it these days it seems. More power in the low end would be nice too. But it's personal preference.

For this style, my favourite is Thomas Lindberg of At The Gates.

I'm always a bit surprised every time I think back and realise that came out in the mid 90s. Time flies!

And vocal performances aside, looking like a redhead dreadlock goblin monster is always way cooler than a semi-Justin Bieber haircut.

Overall I seem to prefer the lower pitch death growl. I'm old school that way, I suppose.

Mikael Åkerfelt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGPvsKzrRi8

Too bad he doesn't growl at all in Opeth any more.

[scared][crying][confused] [confused]

Archived