Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion Pickups in an LP Studio

rjames1973

All,

I have Gibson Les Paul Studio that I purchased new last summer. I like the stock pickups in the guitar, but have been toying with the idea of replacing the bridge pickup with a DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion pickup. I've always been a huge Ace Frehley fan, and understand that he has used these pickups in his guitars. I'd like to get as close as possible to getting that classic Ace Frehley tone that you hear on KISS albums. Yes, I know a good amp helps...LOL! Has anyone ever installed one of these in an LP Studio? If so, do you recommend it for my purposes? Thanks for your feedback!

All,

I have Gibson Les Paul Studio that I purchased new last summer. I like the stock pickups in the guitar, but have been toying with the idea of replacing the bridge pickup with a DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion pickup. I've always been a huge Ace Frehley fan, and understand that he has used these pickups in his guitars. I'd like to get as close as possible to getting that classic Ace Frehley tone that you hear on KISS albums. Yes, I know a good amp helps...LOL! Has anyone ever installed one of these in an LP Studio? If so, do you recommend it for my purposes? Thanks for your feedback!

I haven't used DP100s myself but since a studio is a mahogany bodied LP (albeit 1/4 inch thinner) with a set neck, the effect is likely to be the same as installing them in a LP standard. If you have a nice fat sounding, resonant LP like Ace no doubt gets given I can see the effect being virtually the same. You may or may not need to rewire/change pots and caps but I guess using a similar amp and effects rig will get you closer - I'm guessing Marshalls at least early on and, on later albums he certainly used delay and wah effects. Just google "Ace Frehley rig."

For playing hard rock or metal of any sort I'm not a fan of stock Epi pickups so a switch to something with a bit more clarity is always going to be a good idea, IMO. With that in mind click on my youtube vid below to see if you like the sound of the JB/Jazz combo I put in my Epi LP Standard.

Edit: I know Tommy Thayer has previously had JBs installed in the bridges of his LPs for their live shows and he certainly does a pretty good job of emulating Ace.

Alan

My 70's vintage Deluxe has a DiMarzio at the bridge and a stock mini at the neck.

I bought the DiMarzio used in the 80's and have no idea what type it is, but this axe can sound exactly like any of the icon bands from the 70's and 80's, and it's not that sensitive to amp differences.

I've had good results with Orange, Marshall, and Fender, and I currently play it through a home built all tube amp.

Archived