Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul De Luxe vintage?

max0101

Sorry that my question may sound naive but I have difficulty understanding the production year of my Gibson. The serial number seems to belong to the production 1974. And 'correct? This is aGibson Les Paul De Luxe SN 131768 whit "MADE IN USA" behind the blade. Could you please help me? Thank you in advance for the support

Max

The Gibson six-digit serial number system used from the early 60's to sometime in 1975 is a complete mess. Many numbers were duplicated, others were skipped, and during the early 70's it gets even worse. The 100,000 numbers alone were used in 63,64,65,then duplicates or skipped numbers used in 67, and then some 100,000 numbers have been documented from 70,71,72,73,74, and early 75.

The Deluxe was introduced sometime in 1971, and from from 1971 through 1974 more than 27,500 Deluxes were made, nearly 10,500 in 1973 alone. Mathematical odds alone would point to 1973.

The only way to narrow this down any further would be to open up the control cavity and look for the manufacturers date codes on the back of the potentiometers. In many cases the numbers may be obscured by solder from the ground wires, but you will usually get lucky on at least one pot. Your looking a seven-digit number starting with "137" (137XXXX).

Post the number here and I, or someone else, will explain how to cipher the code.

The Deluxe was actually introduced in 1969, but they didn't have the "Made in USA" stamped in the back of the headstock until 1970 or so. They also added a neck volute to beef up the weakest area, where the headstock joins the neck right around this time also. Pictures would help also. I'll post a photo of my '69.

1969GibsonLesPaulDeluxe.jpg

Here is a shot of the pot codes... 137=CTS 69=year 29=week of the year.

DSC04305.jpg

So the number is 137 7323.

Made by CTS Corporation, during the 23rd week (late May/early June) in 1973. I'd say it's a safe bet that pots made during the first half of the year were used that same year, especially since Gibson was making tens of thousands of guitars a year during that period.

So I say 1973 it is (just as I had mathematically predicted above).

Archived