Gibson Brands Forums

strap locks

gary s

Just got a wine red Les Paul Studio a couple of weeks ago and a new strap for it. The strap is a thick leather strap from Levy and I was wondering what kind of strap locks to use. I want to be able to protect my new investment, so I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help! [biggrin]

1) Buy Grolsch beer with the old-fashioned swing-top caps

2) Drink two of them

3) Remove pink washers from caps

4) Fit pink washers onto strap pins, over strap.

5) Boogie on

This works, Moishe, but is no good for those of us with cats and dogs around.

1. The cats LOVE playing with the washers and you can never find them when it's time to make a run for the gig.

2. Dogs love to eat them. They pass with no damage, but you can't reuse them (or celluloid thumbpicks, either, for that matter) because something in the dogs' digestion perishes the rubber and it becomes crumbly and inelastic when you go to put it over the strap button. [And thumbpicks break int wo, FYI...] :huh:

But - for those without pets, Boogie On, indeed!

INDEED!

J/W

B)

I've got the Dunlops on all of my guitars. However, they can be difficult to install on the thick Levy's straps. I don't know if the Schallers are any easier in this respect, but getting the washer and the clip thingy on with a padded Levy's strap took me a little doing. (Mind you I ultimately prevailed).

Thanks to everybody for their input. I ended up getting the Dunlops (I know, I went against the status quo), but they were my preference. Plus, I was able to get them for $1.58 with the help of a $10 a gift certicate from Amazon, so I really couldn't pass it up! Best deal I ever got!!

I love Schaller but always run into this problem when installing on Gibson's... The Gibson screw head is too big to fit inside the strap button. If I try to use the Schaller screw, it is too thin and cannot screw into the body.

I imagine that I could use toothpicks, dowels, etc. to fill in the holes and re-drill but that seems like a lot of hassle. How are all of you guys using the Schallers?

Just want to update on the Dunlops. It took a bit of work since the strap was sooo thick, but, I did finally get that sucker on! Once I figured out what I need to do, the one on the opposite end was a breeze. And, I'd like to say, they are on to stay! I tried out the new strap locks and they are very secure. Just a thought, maybe Gibson should think about making their own line of strap locks and have them pre-installed on their guitars.

I love Schaller but always run into this problem when installing on Gibson's... The Gibson screw head is too big to fit inside the strap button. If I try to use the Schaller screw, it is too thin and cannot screw into the body.

I imagine that I could use toothpicks, dowels, etc. to fill in the holes and re-drill but that seems like a lot of hassle. How are all of you guys using the Schallers?

My preference is for Schallers, but use the original Gibson screw after a little work with a cheap 6'' bench grinder to just have it fit in the button.

Plus I use a socket wrench & adjustable spanner on the strap lock to really secure the locking ring, then finish with a little brush of superglue.

Buy Grolsch beer with the old-fashioned swing-top caps

Bingo!

'Grolsch' or 'Newcastle Brown Ale' type bottle-stopper washers.

Been doing that for twenty years.

I leave 'em on all my guitars all the time but be careful as this can stain some guitars.

My Gibsons are fine with it.

The straps fit right over the tops of the washers, which are fairly malleable but are still strong enough to keep the strap secure.

I recently bought a 2010 Limited (robot) Les Paul, which is supplied with 'proper' strap-locks.

They're still in the box, in the case.

I will stick to using washers.

Try them, save yourself a bundle, and feel secure.

(I also think the larger straplocks are rather unsightly)

My preference is for Schallers, but use the original Gibson screw after a little work with a cheap 6'' bench grinder to just have it fit in the button.

Plus I use a socket wrench & adjustable spanner on the strap lock to really secure the locking ring, then finish with a little brush of superglue.

+1 lagerfanny. If the girlfriend / wife has any nail glue (for press on fingernails), this works great too.

I'm surprised Gibson have never supplied guitars with factory fitted straplocks like Fender do. It would certainly eliminate all the hassle with incompatible screw sizes etc. I use either Schallers or the rubber rings off bottles.

Archived