Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar and vocal amplification for very small gig...

Plainsman

Warning, question from a total newb here.

I've only played in front of my family. I've been given the opportunity to do a couple of volunteer solo acoustic gigs at two area rest homes. Not much of a gig to most folks on here I'm sure, but totally nerve-racking for me. It would be for about 20-30 people, in a large sitting area with couches. I'd be doing traditional country and gospel numbers. They'd like me to play 45 minutes to an hour. Most of the attendees are hard of hearing. I don't have a very loud singing voice. The only gear I have is my J 45 with factory pickup.

Should I buy a powered speaker and small mixer? Would that be way overkill for this? Would most places I may play in the future already have a PA anyway, so I wouldn't need that setup for future use either? Would a small acoustic amp do the job, any reccomendations? Should I try it with no amplification, or would that be a mistake? I know other singers have performed there with CD backing tracks, using a mic and one of those small powered monitors. Also full acoustic bands have played there with no amplification. Well, I did see a small amp for the bass; but vocals, guitars, banjos, mandos, etc were unamplified.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. I really want to do this, but I'm super nervous. And have no idea what I am doing!

My first thought would be to recommend to do the gig "acoustic". In this day and age most musicians forget that there were musical performances happening for a couple thousand years before electricity and amplification was invented. I've done many educational type engagements without amplification to rooms of up to maybe 50 to 100. But then they weren't the hard of hearing elderly.

If you think you might want to continue this type of musical presentation, I would consider an investment in an "acoustic" guitar amp that also has a microphone input. It's an all-in-one box for the guitar strummer/singer.

Good on you for volunteering your time and talent for the old folks. I've done many freebies for educational, civic and youth groups, and have wanted to do something for the old folks. Now that my wife's mother is in an "assisted living" facility, I ought to get off my butt and do it.

Good luck to you, let us know how it works out.

Warning, question from a total newb here.

I've only played in front of my family. I've been given the opportunity to do a couple of volunteer solo acoustic gigs at two area rest homes. Not much of a gig to most folks on here I'm sure, but totally nerve-racking for me. It would be for about 20-30 people, in a large sitting area with couches. I'd be doing traditional country and gospel numbers. They'd like me to play 45 minutes to an hour. Most of the attendees are hard of hearing. I don't have a very loud singing voice. The only gear I have is my J 45 with factory pickup.

Should I buy a powered speaker and small mixer? Would that be way overkill for this? Would most places I may play in the future already have a PA anyway, so I wouldn't need that setup for future use either? Would a small acoustic amp do the job, any reccomendations? Should I try it with no amplification, or would that be a mistake? I know other singers have performed there with CD backing tracks, using a mic and one of those small powered monitors. Also full acoustic bands have played there with no amplification. Well, I did see a small amp for the bass; but vocals, guitars, banjos, mandos, etc were unamplified.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. I really want to do this, but I'm super nervous. And have no idea what I am doing!

For small gigs like this, you don't need big toys, but...if you want the option to amplify, then may I suggest that you do not rely on any venue to have the equipment for the job. When you have your own set-up, you get to practice with it at home, which I think is key to your preparation and to your ability, once you're there, to relax and to enjoy the awesome experience of sharing your music with a slightly wider world.

I have a 60-watt acoustic, single channel amp with two inputs. My J-100 has the active UST, so I run it through my Baggs Paracoustic DI and from there into the amp. In the other amp input, I run the mic (a Shure 58). I control guitar volume (and tone, etc.) via the DI, but I always have to experiment to get the best overall sound I can achieve, given that I am sort of muddying things by having the DI's tone controls and the amp's meager controls both at play. Can't avoid that with a single channel amp. (Myamp does have a little reverb, which I want for the vocals and which does not too much impact the guitar output.)

I think a 2-channel small acoustic--like the ZTLunchbox--could be perfect in this situation, too. Separate controls for the guitar and the mic would mean I could take the DI out of the string. In theory...

Still, having all your own stuff means you can practice better--you can hear yourself and make decisions about your settings, etc. And YOU have control --not only over your sound but also over the space itself. When you amplify, then you've got chords, cables, at least one mic and mic stand, a music stand perhaps--well, point is, things can get crowded and clumsy in a hurry, all of which adds stress which, imho, should be considered your worst enemy.

To amplify is to complicate, so someone has to be "in charge" of what suddenly becomes alot of details. Unless you have a trusted and, more importantly, knowledgeable friend who will show up and take care of such things, that someone will be you. It takes some planning, some experimenting, and some patience, but I think it's worth it in the longer run.

Having said all that? For your first time out , I say just take your guitar and yourself and play at the level you're most comfortable. Do everything you can to let folks hear how you sound at home, when it's just you and your guitar. That's where the magic is, and that's what the people will remember. Trust that--even if you decide to amplify.

Good luck, let us hear how it goes, and congrats for "getting off the couch;" it's an awesome step. [thumbup]

I say there's never a bad reason to buy more "stuff".

I only play for family & friends these days....but I have 11 guitars, 4 amps, 5 mics, a myriad of effects, fiddle, banjo, and I just bought a Fender Passport 300 PA system!

So if I were going to do a small gig in a nursing home, I'd bring two acoustic guitars, a small amp, (Fender Bassman), assorted mic's and effects....and of course the new PA!

Well for me it would be a Fishman SA220 street price deal around $700 -$900

SA220

Its a very good 2 channel amp with a good reverb on board.Easy set up and great sound...imo

That said I would play this "first" gig just acoustic and see what you think after and then go buy all the "stuff" you now can justify.... [thumbup]

I would go strictly acoustic, if it were me. I've played for the old folks including an Alzheimer ward. In my experience, any amplification will irritate one or more. Sit within range and put a little extra torque on the vocals. If you're going to play anywhere you need to have pipes that carry somewhat on their own.

Playing for the old folks is GREAT. Nobody has ever been a more appreciative, into-it crowd. They don't need to hear every word, you giving your time to be there is probably more important than anything. Enjoy it!

For venues like you describe (and I've done many, and still do) I use a Roland Street Cube. Capable of putting-out a really high-quality sound. Handles a mic and guitar. Roland makes 3-4-5 different cube amps (I think) and they are all powerful for their size and light weight. And playing for old folks, even if there are only 3-4 of them is a pretty sweet gig. Enjoy it. Don't put too much stress on yourself over it. You will enjoy it, and most important, so will they. [thumbup]

I would go strictly acoustic, if it were me. I've played for the old folks including an Alzheimer ward. In my experience, any amplification will irritate one or more. Sit within range and put a little extra torque on the vocals. If you're going to play anywhere you need to have pipes that carry somewhat on their own.

Playing for the old folks is GREAT. Nobody has ever been a more appreciative, into-it crowd. They don't need to hear every word, you giving your time to be there is probably more important than anything. Enjoy it!

+ 1 and very good will gesture [thumbup]

Hmmm... "volunteer." Here's another take on that.

A lot of gigging musicians don't think that this a good idea, it is hurting gigging musicians. Their point is that nursing homes / retirement homes make huge profits and have budgets for entertainment. I know guys who make a living doing this, playing 2/ gigs a day as many days a week as they want. I tend to agree... seems to me that there are better places (non-profit) to "donate" your time if that is what motivates you. I admit, it's hard to be a gigging musician these days! As for amplification, I'd vote for definitely amplifying versus going acoustic only. I've done a number of these shows. You don't need massive wattage, though. Also, these people like pop/rock songs. They like to boogie. In fact, if anything, they need a jump start, real sad songs are not the ticket. And many people in these places were raised in the 50s to 70s, so, "old" tunes are not the only choice. A few standards, but some hits of the 50s to 70s go over well.

I would definitely say, get an amp. Whenever I watch TV with my dad (a certified elderly person), he's always got the thing cranked loud! They don't hear all that well and you need some volume.

I would not get a Fender Acoustasonic, I sold mine because it was crazy heavy and it sucked dragging it around (and I had the tiny one).

On a budget, I would suggest the $300 Fishman Loudbox mini.

If you got the $$$, the Benz Genz Shenandoah are light weight and super fine [thumbup]

Wow, lots of different opinions. Thanks everyone. I think a PA would be overkill for this. I've decided to either do it sans amplification, or get a small acoustic amp with mic input. I saw a Peavey Ecoustic E208 amp. Dual 8" speakers, mic and guitar inputs, separate EQs, and real spring reverb. Cheap too, $179. Add $110 for a SM58 with cable and stand, and I'm into this for pretty cheap. Has anyone else seen or used that amp?

Good on ya for making their day a bit brighter. It's all about the heart... =D>

I'm an amateur gigger/songwriter and have opportunity to play some background stuff in a local restaurant owned by some good friends. I play in their 'outdoor' screened in garden room which seats about 40 comfortably. When I play there, I use my trusty ole Marshall AS50R amp which has two channels; one for the instrument and the other for mic. I find the reverb/chorus options useful. Although it seems to work OK, I want to start using a separate mic for the instrument, vs, the channel one instrument plug-in. I have no idea if there's a small (50/60 W)acoustic amp that has two mic inputs. Hope to see some responses from the informed folks here on that)... [confused]

Concerning playing 'unplugged', I believe that is the truest of all, but in my case, when I've played inside the restaurant's limited confines, I have difficulty hitting the right vocals when I try to suppress my voice (so I don't overwhelm folks at tables near/adjacent to 'my' corner)... If the room is large enough and the folks are several feet away, this may not be a concern.

In any case; hats off to ya brother and let us know how it goes...

Scratch, ya beat me to it!

Plainsman, a Marshall AS50R or AS50D is what you want. The D is the later model with digital fx, but either are GREAT little amps. Perfect for the job in hand, will handle vox too and sounds lovely. Looks nice too!

Scratch, for a multi-channel acoustic amp package, try the Laney Audiohub AH200. Hugely versatile and sounds brilliant for just about anything you throw at it.

Archived