Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between dealer and online dealer of Gibson ?

gotomsdos

Err ... at one you can touch, and the other you cant.

I find, thomann is an online dealer whereas MusicStore.de is a dealer. Some of us can also online buy from the latter, in other words, MusicStore.de also has website store.

What's the actual difference of them, with Gibson dealing thing ?

Actually Thomann is both online and a physical store. Ive been to Thomann twice and its like visiting Mecca ... a religious experience.

I find, thomann is an online dealer whereas MusicStore.de is a dealer. Some of us can also online buy from the latter, in other words, MusicStore.de also has website store.

What's the actual difference of them, with Gibson dealing thing ?

Who knows the difference between dealer and online dealer of Gibson ?

Almost all Gibson dealers are contractually prohibited from advertising their stock online. There are a few Authorized Internet Dealers who are allowed to, but they can only advertise the MAP, not their actual asking price. Gibson sets the MAP high enough that any local dealer who seriously wants your business can beat the MAP and still have an ROI that will keep the doors open.

There are several reasons for this scheme. First, Gibson is trying to protect local dealers from unfair competition (primarily, internet-only dealers who don't have the overhead of running a brick-and-mortar store with actual inventory). Also, they really want you to play the actual guitar you're going to buy before buying it, 'cause that's just The Right Way to buy a guitar.

-- Bob R

AMEN!

I'm not sure anymore - I used to think a physical shop and try out at a real store was very important, but really I have bought 3 older Gibsons from ebay sellers and have been very fortunate.

Whereas....

The local guitar shop is run by an absolute SNAKE that fiddles with guitar parts that he should NOT.

Also, I never really managed to try a guitar out very well with him drooling in my ear.

If they have a decent return policy, it just doesn't matter anymore.

BluesKing777.

Almost all Gibson dealers are contractually prohibited from advertising their stock online. There are a few Authorized Internet Dealers who are allowed to, but they can only advertise the MAP, not their actual asking price. Gibson sets the MAP high enough that any local dealer who seriously wants your business can beat the MAP and still have an ROI that will keep the doors open.

There are several reasons for this scheme. First, Gibson is trying to protect local dealers from unfair competition (primarily, internet-only dealers who don't have the overhead of running a brick-and-mortar store with actual inventory). Also, they really want you to play the actual guitar you're going to buy before buying it, 'cause that's just The Right Way to buy a guitar.

-- Bob R

sorry, newb here - What's a MAP and an ROI?

It's an interesting one this, especially for us in the EU, I'm curious about the pricing, mostly we see the prices on somewhere like Thomann or Musicstore and accept that is the price, I may try to write saying "I know this is the lowest price you can advertise, but what is the real lowest price you can offer" to see how I get on...

I'm a big fan of Thomann actually, always had great service and never any quibbles when I have had questions/issues.

Archived