Gibson Brands Forums

Not to be too political....

onewilyfool

As long as you don't get the burning in the eyes, pepper spray as has a nice fragrance.

I'm thinking, as least in that sense, it was an upgrade for the Occupy crowd LOL [biggrin]

I think it's based on cayenne pepper. Nice dribbled on scrambled eggs as long as you keep it out of your eyes.

It's a bit stronger than your garden variety cayan pepper sauce Those quantities of that type of agent can cause second degree burns on exposed skin.

I think it's based on cayenne pepper. Nice dribbled on scrambled eggs as long as you keep it out of your eyes.

I think they deserved it, but then again I'm an old retired guy who has worked all his life.

That's a pretty broad brush stroke. Mixed in with the chronically homeless, disabled, mentally disturbed, etc, are average people who've lost their jobs or homes. Meanwhile, corporate profits are at an all time high, jobs go overseas, and big banks in particular stockpile money rather than work with individuals to stabilize their lives. There's a lot to be frustrated about. I'm sixty years old, still working, have a home, and recently put a daughter through college. I feel fortunate to be in this position, but there are a lot of well intentioned people who are really struggling.

That's a pretty broad brush stroke. Mixed in with the chronically homeless, disabled, mentally disturbed, etc, are average people who've lost their jobs or homes. Meanwhile, corporate profits are at an all time high, jobs go overseas, and big banks in particular stockpile money rather than work with individuals to stabilize their lives. There's a lot to be frustrated about. I'm sixty years old, still working, have a home, and recently put a daughter through college. I feel fortunate to be in this position, but there are a lot of well intentioned people who are really struggling.

Oh....where to start....where to start..... first off, it isn't any company's "job" to employ people. They're in business to make a profit, (either for the owner(s), or their shareholders. Think of it this way.... at the end of the year, a business manager goes to the owners and says, "We lost money this year, but we hired several people And what's more, we'll probably lose money next year too....so we'll hire some more people!"

Think he'll be around long?

People HAVE lost their jobs....why? With the "real" unemployment rate at close to 18%, (not the phony rate where you fall off the unemployment rolls when your unemployment insurance runs out), isn't the reason is that we've made tax and regulatory laws such that hiring Americans to do work is just not profitable.

I hear people complain about no jobs, but keep electing people who make laws that result in unemployment! Jobs go overseas because it's cheaper and the company has a better chance of making a profit! I personally don't find anything wrong with making a profit...it's why I work!

People lost their homes? Why did they lose them? Isn't it because they failed to live up to the contract they signed? I haven't heard anyone was "forced" to buy a house. Did the bank "trick" them? Maybe...but isn't that why you must be an adult before you can sign a binding contract? If adults sign a contract that has unknown interest rates, aren't they taking a "known" chance? And after the banks get taken to the cleaners, they tighten up the criteria for granting loans..... can you imagine why they'd to that?

The occupiers are protesting business....where it's clear the real villains are in Washington DC.

Oh...and another thing.... maybe it's just the way I was raised...but if a police officer tells me to do something, and I choose to ignore the officer, I'm pretty much signing up for whatever the consequences are...if that's getting a face full of pepper spray...that was my choice!

There are lots of reasons why it's not really appropriate to carry on these sorts of discussions here, beyond from the entirely adequate one that it's off-topic. Another good one is that the issues are too complex to deal in short posts. Let me pick on just a single point among the many that DanvillRob made as an illustration.

if a police officer tells me to do something, and I choose to ignore the officer, I'm pretty much signing up for whatever the consequences are...if that's getting a face full of pepper spray...that was my choice!

I don't see anything here to disagree with (which is why I chose this one). In fact, I'm sure many of the protesters wholeheartedly agree. (Getting mistreated by the police generates sympathy that makes civil disobedience much more effective! Whether such sympathy is deserved -- and, if so, when and why -- is another, rather deep, question.) However, it doesn't follow that police never issue instructions with no basis in legal authority, or that an officer who sprays someone with pepper spray for "failing to follow instructions" is not breaking the law. Indeed, the UCD police presented a defense of their actions yesterday, consisting not of a claim that they were dispersing an illegal assembly employing lawful means, but rather of the completely absurd claim that officers "felt threatened" by the demonstrators and were "defending themselves". (While the claim itself is absurd -- and I'm sure the department will be ridiculed for making it -- asserting it is not! I cannot recall any recent case in which this has been used as a defense in response to charges of police misconduct in which the police have not prevailed in the courts. Given that fact that, apparently, it always works, it would appear to be unwise for them to offer any other potentially less-effective defense.)

My point is not to convince anyone of anything. It is that this issue is more complex than D'Rob made it sound. (And, of course, also more complex than I've made it sound above.) People can, and have, seriously explored these issues. It requires hundreds of pages, not tens of words, to begin to deal with any one of them substantively.

These sorts of political discussions are pointless, in the sense that no serious thought is provoked and no opinions are changed as a result of posting such "soundbites". My objective is to discourage you, dear Reader, from posting about this stuff. (I fear it may have the opposite effect and provoke responses. Meta-posts are a double-edged sword, for sure. O!, for the Good Old Days, when even an ironic invocation of Hitler could be used to terminate any Usenet political discussion!) While it's true I don't have to read these postings -- and I do generally attempt to avoid them -- it's also true that their existence breeds disharmony that ultimately makes this forum a less pleasant place to be.

I do hope everyone can agree that the picture is great, regardless of any disareement about the associated issues!

-- Bob R

I do hope everyone can agree that the picture is great, regardless of any disareement about the associated issues!

-- Bob R

Bob, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been shut down already...but if I get in under the wire..... whether or not we agree, we have to right to express our opinion...and your thoughts are well thought out, and I appreciate you making them.

(it's STILL a funny picture!)

Bob

Yes please stop posting this. The supposed humor of the original picture escapes me and the political discussion is entirely inappropriate here. Can't we just talk about guitars here? Why do we have to have all this stuff? Where are the moderators?

Archived