Gibson Brands Forums

String bends

buscemi

Hello. I am close to buying a Synapse SS-2F, primarily for use a travel guitar. I have read mostly very good reviews of the Synapse, particularly that there is a notable improvement in build/finish quality compared with the Spirit series. About the only non-favourable review I have found was from a Jazz player who says the Synapse series is not great for string bends because the Zero Fret system means the string has nothing to "bend against" compared to the solid base of a nut. I have not read any other reviews which mention this, and the videos I have seen of players (including Jazzers) seem to indicate no problems with bending ie no-one seemed to be struggling with flat bends, etc.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed such an issue. I'm only a hobbyist player - my gigging days are well behind me - but it would still annoy me if I couldn't make bends easily.

There is no issue. That's just a pretty strange statement, that's it. All Steinbergers use a zero fret (Spirits, Synapses, and the old USA Steinies including the GL, GM etc.), and the strings on all these guitars are kept in position by the headpiece, just behind the zero fret. I have absolutely no idea what "issue" this player might be talking about. You can bend on a Steinie like on any other guitar. It just doesn't lose its tuning like many other guitars with a nut and the string portion behind it ;)

Bernd

There is no issue. That's just a pretty strange statement, that's it. All Steinbergers use a zero fret (Spirits, Synapses, and the old USA Steinies including the GL, GM etc.), and the strings on all these guitars are kept in position by the headpiece, just behind the zero fret. I have absolutely no idea what "issue" this player might be talking about. You can bend on a Steinie like on any other guitar. It just doesn't lose its tuning like many other guitars with a nut and the string portion behind it ;)

Bernd

Thanks Bernd, I suspected there would be no actual problem. The fact that only one review of the dozens I had read mentioned this issue probably speaks volumes.

Archived