Gibson Brands Forums

ESP guitars

schnarz25

Does anyone on here use ESP guitars? I've heard for the money they're really good guitars. I'm looking at getting this one, they have it at my local shop for only $500 new http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-EC-401VF-Electric-Guitar-105316442-i1435802.gc?esid=esp+401vf . It has Seymour Duncan's in it otherwise I wouldn't be getting it because most ESP's have EMG's which I'm not a fan of for regular rock and music like that. I heard somewhere that this guitar didn't sound good through a blackstar head which is what I was planning on getting. Anyone know why that would be? I can't imagine it not sounding good through an all tube head like that. I've done alot of research on it already and played it alot and I like the feel of it but I don't have a blackstar head to try it through so I don't know about that. anyways, just wanted to see what you guys had to say. thanks

i think they are decent guitars, i don't care for them much because i don't play "that kind" of music, it seems to fit in better with music that's heavier, but since that's kind of what you're going for... FRED SAYS DO IT

Uh what are you talking about Fred? It's just a Gibson LP style Guitar I don't think that defines the "Kind of music" it is capable of making.... blink.gif

As far as ESP goes they make some very nice stuff. In that price range I would guess it isn't one of the made in Japan models. I saw a bunch of them when I was in Tokyo a couple weeks ago. If it plays well for you and you like it then "strap it up". IF you don't like the way it sounds through your amp return it or find some pickups to put in it that work better for your amp....

Andy

Bear in mind that it's an LTD and not an ESP. For a metal orientated LP in that kind of price range don't rule out the Epiphone Prophecy series. The necks on the prophecies are apparently very nice indeed and they also come loaded with great pickups. There are also some nice Kramer LP styles coming out with good pickups.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone/Prophecy-Les-Paul-Custom-EX.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Singlecut/Kramer/Assault-220-Plus-Seymour-Duncan.aspx

Alan

Uh what are you talking about Fred? It's just a Gibson LP style Guitar I don't think that defines the "Kind of music" it is capable of making.... blink.gif

As far as ESP goes they make some very nice stuff. In that price range I would guess it isn't one of the made in Japan models. I saw a bunch of them when I was in Tokyo a couple weeks ago. If it plays well for you and you like it then "strap it up". IF you don't like the way it sounds through your amp return it or find some pickups to put in it that work better for your amp....

Andy

most have EMGs

and i hate the headstock and the cutaway is too "pointy"

/oldmanrant

ya, I know ESP is known for metal but from what I've heard with the Seymour Duncan's it's way more versatile than their guitars with EMG's. I also play alot of older stuff like Skynyrd, Zeppelin, and Rush so I'm not really a total metal guy I just play some of that stuff with the band. I play pretty much anything that has good guitar in it and I've heard that the SD pups are really good for almost anything except they aren't the best for really really heavy stuff which I don't play a ton of.

I also like how that particular ESP doesn't look like a total metal guitar, it's actually very nice looking in person.

ya, I know ESP is known for metal but from what I've heard with the Seymour Duncan's it's way more versatile than their guitars with EMG's. I also play alot of older stuff like Skynyrd, Zeppelin, and Rush so I'm not really a total metal guy I just play some of that stuff with the band. I play pretty much anything that has good guitar in it and I've heard that the SD pups are really good for almost anything except they aren't the best for really really heavy stuff which I don't play a ton of.

I also like how that particular ESP doesn't look like a total metal guitar, it's actually very nice looking in person.

The JB in that guitar is a hotter pickup so is great for both rock and metal whereas the '59 will give you more articulation for blues and rock styles. Have you thought about Epiphone Tributes, Epiphone 1959s or Gibson faded LP Studios?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx

Alan

For some reason ESP guitars ALWAYS know what I'm going to play........[confused] ...

Haha sorry, I had to chuckle at this one. I've never picked up an ESP honestly but if you like the way they play and it sounds good to you buy it, you don't need the approval of some random dudes on the internet.

The JB in that guitar is a hotter pickup so is great for both rock and metal whereas the '59 will give you more articulation for blues and rock styles. Have you thought about Epiphone Tributes, Epiphone 1959s or Gibson faded LP Studios?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Epiphone.aspx

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Faded.aspx

Alan

I was thinking about going with a cheaper Gibson but I knda want to just use something cheaper like this for now and then wait and maybe get a les paul standard traditional pro.

Haha sorry, I had to chuckle at this one. I've never picked up an ESP honestly but if you like the way they play and it sounds good to you buy it, you don't need the approval of some random dudes on the internet.

I know, I was just making sure there wasn't anything important that I might want to know before I buy it. For me it's all a learning process so I like to ask lots of questions, hopefully I don't get too annoying :)

Exactly!!!! msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Your wrong, i know everything and you are below me mere mortal!

Archived