Gibson Brands Forums

Who has been the greatest live act ever?

Spiritinthesky

The Who 1970!!!!!

Saw them at the Forest Hills tennis court in Queens NY, 1971 I think. Unbelievable seats. They played My Generation as on Live at Leeds. Then played for the first time ever anywhere the songs of “Who’s Next”, before the album was released. Just an unbelievable concert. Another great part of the story was they sold out and we missed getting tickets, then they add another show before the other and we scored !

I consider myself lucky.After nam I was stationed in Germany till 1980 one show I'll never forget was in Sarbruckin, I'm sure I spelled it wrong. but at noon Brand X opened with Phill Collins on drums, I don't remember the order but from then till midnight Cheap Trick, The Scorpions, AC/DC, Frank Zappa, Alvin Lee, Joan Baez, Blackfoot, a few more I don't remember, and ended with Genisis when Phil took front man from Peter Gabriel. A month later the same kinda show in Nurinburg and because of too much fun I only remember the headliner, The Who !! STRONG..

Allman Bros all the way.no show.no glam.no bull @#!@* just the best music and musician ship you ever want to hear.come on Warren Hanes and Derek Trucks in the same band.

I have to agree. Either Allman's with them. Or Gov't Mule when Derek Trucks sits in.

Trucks is the man.

History, and accountants, show that the most "sucessful" ($$$) live bands of all time are the Stones and the Eagles, neither of which I have ever seen.

That said, I will have to say the Allman Bros. I've seen then in every configuration except with Duane (too young),or the Haynes/Trucks guitar duo (It ain't ABB without Gregg and Dickie together), and to me the Haynes/Betts era reinvigorated the entire band. Their all night shows with Duane are legendary, and Warren Haynes and Dickie Betts feeding off each other on some great jams was a sight to see.

I've seen 100s of live shows since the mid 70s. It's really tough to pick which one is best since that sort of goes along with what bands I like best. Unfortunately I have never seen my 2 favorite bands Led Zeppelin and Pantera. LZ was banned in Boston and I just never got a chance to see Pantera. Here are some of my personal standouts through the years:

Black Sabbath at the Music Hall in Boston in 1976

U2 at the Music Hall in Boston about 1980

The Smiths at the Beacon Theater, NYC about 1983

SRV at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, NYC in 1986ish

One of the 17 times I have seen the Ramones

The Replacements at The Music Hall, Boston about 1991

Pretenders at the Orpheum in Boston about 1981

Rolling Stones at RFK Stadium, Philadelphia 1980

and my most memorable show:

Blizzard of Oz with RR and Def Leppard with Steve Clark at the Cape Cod Colisium, August 9, 1981.

...believe it or not, I still have almost every ticket stub from every show including my 1st concert which was KISS in 1975. I'll look thru the box to get these dates straight.

Now as far as greatest live act ever, I'd say that goes to either Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or the Who from the glory days in the 70s. That's what I hear anyway.

Archived