Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio?

MaybeSomeday

Now, I am sure there are many discussions on this, and I apologize for not being too precise.

I would like to state now that I don't know much about anything! I am trying to buy a Christmas present for my boyfriend, and I've tried to do the best research I could!

I spoke to a person locally who was selling this guitar (and case) for $650, but I talked him down to $500. I'm sorry I don't know the serials off the top of my head, and I only have the photos from the listing, but I was curious if this looked authentic or even a good deal?

The description said, "Played very little by beginner."

I'm picking it up on Sunday, and I plan on taking someone with me who has more knowledge than I, but I would like some feedback from some experts on the matter.

Thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance!

post-37823-046901900 1322125392_thumb.jpg

post-37823-016769500 1322125401_thumb.jpg

post-37823-010654500 1322125407_thumb.jpg

Not quite yet.

I've only seen the guitar in person once yesterday, and I didn't get a chance to take better pictures. (But boy, that glossy black makes me want to buy it just for myself! ;))

Next time I see it though will be Sunday, when I'm actually picking it up, if it's not too bad a deal.

Sorry about that.

(In fact, I might not be able to get any information/opinions from just those small pictures, I just thought I would try before dropping $500.)

(Either way, life is all about adventure, right? Maybe after I buy it, (that is if my friend thinks it's a good deal), I will take more pictures and post them here for a more accurate opinion!)

Hello! Hope You don't mind my honest opinion. I think it's not wise to buy an instrument for present (maybe an amplifier - if You know what model Your friend wants to have). The guitar is a very personal, intimate thing. Each and every guitar is different - even if they are of the same brand and model. The musician Himself has to find out whether the particular guitar is OK for Him or not. But, if You still want to buy one for Your friend, - I advise - to take it to a luthier prior of purchasing, for a professional review of it's condition. Cheers... Bence

Hello! Hope You don't mind my honest opinion. I think it's not wise to buy an instrument for present (maybe an amplifier - if You know what model Your friend wants to have). The guitar is a very personal, intimate thing. Each and every guitar is different - even if they are of the same brand and model. The musician Himself has to find out whether the particular guitar is OK for Him or not. But, if You still want to buy one for Your friend, - I advise - to take it to a luthier prior of purchasing, for a professional review of it's condition. Cheers... Bence

agreed with Bence

also cant give any info based on the pics as they are very low resolution.

FWIW, I agree with Bence and Angellus on both counts:

1. It's not like buying an iPad for someone - the brand is strong, but each Gibson guitar is slightly unique and different;

2. You are taking a considerable risk by buying a used instrument if you don't know very much about guitars. Unless you play yourself, you may not be able to tell if the instrument has anything seriously wrong with it. It may not have a scratch on it, and still be an UberLemon.

No offense is meant here... it's just that we have all seen some very awkward and unhappy moments for both the giver and the receiver when the guitar presented with love was not what the guitarist really wanted. Trouble is, you will have no recourse if you buy from a private seller.

Regards,

J/W

:huh:

Not crazy about some of the advice given here. If you boyfriend plays guitar and likes Les Pauls, it would a great present. Yes each instrument is different, but Gibson cranks out quality instruments. Examine the guitar for neck and headstock breaks or damage. Plug it in to make sure the electronics work. $500 is a decent deal. If you know your BF likes Les Pauls, he will love it.

Dont worry about taking it to a tech. Its a guitar. Its a couple of pieces of wood glued together with some plastic and magnets. Plug it into an amp, make sure both pups and the switch work.

If your BF has ever used the phrase "gosh, I would love to have a Gibson Les Paul", than it would be a great present for him. If he has 20 guitars and they are all Fenders, maybe he doesnt like Gibsons, so in that case I would think twice. Just snoop around enough to find out if he would like another kind of guitar better. If not, buy it. He will love it because its from you.

Sorry, I have to disagree with some of the advice here also...but nothing personal.

If someone is just starting out on guitar they are not going to care much about the "personality" of the guitar, as long as the guitar is in pretty decent shape. The beginner is not worried too much about how perfect the guitar is going to fit in his/her hands or how it sounds - just the fact of having a guitar is usually enough to make them happy. Later on down the road if they want to get serious then the person has the option of upgrading to a better guitar. Chances are nearly every guitarist here did not start out with their first guitar being "the one" that fit their hand perfectly and had the perfect, exact sound that the person wanted.

Even though some of you are understandably trying to protect her from some kind of rip off, you also are going to have her chasing down a guitar that she may not be able to afford.

I'm not saying the person this gift is for is a beginner....just pointing out a realistic scenario. If any doubt, just ask the person selling the guitar if they can actually play and demonstrate the guitar. Specifically, have them show you that the volume and tone controls work along with the 3-way toggle for the pickups. Scratches? Baaahhh it's a used guitar! As long as something is not cracked.

I believe the opinions here are well- balanced on both sides. Some of us are risk-averse. Some of us are more cavalier in our approach. (I THINK I fall into the former group! [lol]) There is no right or wrong answer, I think....

Just a story, of you'll permit. When my wife of 22 years and I were first going out she wanted to buy me a guitar but had no idea what to get. We spent one of the closest, most pleasant days together shopping for that guitar. It was a very special day all around.

I don't have the guitar anymore but I will take that memory to my grave.... [wub] [wub] [wub] But hell, I'm only expressing an opinion, and I guess these days, $500 isn't the end of the world. Let's just hope Buddy doesn't already have a "secret" guitar in the closet or one on layaway somewheres! OOPS!

Regards,

J/W

I believe the opinions here are well- balanced on both sides. Some of us are risk-averse. There is no right or wrong....

Just a story, of you'll permit. When my wife of 22 years and I were first going out she wanted to buy me a guitar but had no idea what to get. We spent one of the closest, most pleasant days together shopping for that guitar. It was very special.

I don't have the guitar anymore but I will take that memory to my grave.... But hell, I'm only expressing an opinion, and I guess these days, $500 isn't the end of the world.

Regards,

J/W

Snap, me and my girlfriend went looking for my Les Paul together as my christmas present 3 years ago. Love that guitar still my number 1 today. She wanted shoes after the purchase and I had to leave the guitar in the car......my first les paul left alone in the car I just wanted to play it!

we share that now the start of my les paul days

Archived