Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird

livemusic

Oh yeah. Along with the J-45 and J-200 it is one of the three iconic guiars from Gibson in my book.

It has a honey glaze tone that no other guitar can reproduce, and that says a lot.

Not to mention in my book being the pretties guitar on the planet.

If you get a chance try the HB TV, as I personally find it to have a signficantly suporior tone compared to the standard modern classic. Just utterly amazing.

(damn, I can feel GAS starting for the HB TV .. again)

Oh yeah. Along with the J-45 and J-200 it is one of the three iconic guiars from Gibson in my book.

It has a honey glaze tone that no other guitar can reproduce, and that says a lot.

Not to mention in my book being the pretties guitar on the planet.

If you get a chance try the HB TV, as I personally find it to have a signficantly suporior tone compared to the standard modern classic. Just utterly amazing.

+100 on the 'Bird!

LiveMusic... Well, "honey glazed" is a very, very good description, albeit an unfortunate reference due to it's proximity to Thanksgiving!

I've tried H'birds at GC - the standard, pro etc. and they didn't really float my boat. I started leaning towards the J45 in fact. But, I had to opportunity to play the TV and found it significantly 'better'. As you know - it is built differently than the standard and the pro isn't really an H'bird. Since 'honey glazed' has already been used, I can only come up with 'sweet, smooth and balanced'. Mine is just a year old now and I'm embarrassed to confess that it sounded so good when I got it 8 mos. ago - and continued to sound better as it opened up - that I'm just now fixin to take off the Masterbuilts it came with and try Elixer nano medium lights! So - if you're hoping to stoke a terminal case of GAS, take a road trip to your closest dealer with an H'bird TV in stock. And if you're married, decide before you leave if it's better to ask for permission, or beg for forgiveness! G'luck!

"The bird" is definitly special. I've got a Hummingbird, a J150, and a J45. Each has a sound and personality that is different. The Hummingbird has a very warm and folksy sound. It is not the loudest of my guitars, but canyons of noise is not what a Hummingbird is supposed to be. I tell people (especially those who think a dread is supposed to out-shout other intsruments) that the Hummingbird guitar's name is like the sound of a real Hummingbird: warm, gentle, very easy-on-the-ears. And as far as looks are concerned---as soon as it comes out of the case, people are looking at it. You sit up on stage with it across your lap and you'll hear people saying "he's got a Gibson." No joke. That's what happens. Those that are simply anti-Gibson are beyond any help I can offer, but those with commonsense get the idea. [thumbup]

Nicely put Larry ! [thumbup]

"The bird" is definitly special. I've got a Hummingbird, a J150, and a J45. Each has a sound and personality that is different. The Hummingbird has a very warm and folksy sound. It is not the loudest of my guitars, but canyons of noise is not what a Hummingbird is supposed to be. I tell people (especially those who think a dread is supposed to out-shout other intsruments) that the Hummingbird guitar's name is like the sound of a real Hummingbird: warm, gentle, very easy-on-the-ears. And as far as looks are concerned---as soon as it comes out of the case, people are looking at it. You sit up on stage with it across your lap and you'll hear people saying "he's got a Gibson." No joke. That's what happens. Those that are simply anti-Gibson are beyond any help I can offer, but those with commonsense get the idea. [thumbup]

I follow your fascination from behind a bush EA, and predict it will go on. The Bird calls something deep within you and I know exactly how you feel. Can't explain it, but it's so soothing to have the guitar around - something bigger falls into place. I play mine every day and keep all senses open for the way it develops. It's fantastic to flatpick, but I'm still not sure if the basic sound will end up where I want it – as you can hear, it's all mysterious under this roof.

And I have to repeat that the Standard I tried a year ago sounded at least as good as the TV. You EA, often distinguish rather sharply between the 2. But can you or anyone else tell what the actual inner (construction) differences are. (Not tuners, burst, bindings, guard)

In my mind I sometimes remove the guard. I know it would be a crime to steal away the guitars pride, but from a sonic angle the idea is enticing.

+100

Sweet sweet instrument in deed [love]

Listen some vintage Stones music to get a good idea of how cool the Hummingbird sounds. Tunes like : Love in Vain, You Got the Silver, Country Honk, Dear Doctor and No Expectations are prime examples [cool]

My first 'good' guitar was a D-18 I bought new around 1970 and played for decades so I always used to dismiss the Hummingbird thinking I had already been there with a square shouldered mahogany dread. In June at the homecoming there happened to be a lot of hummingbirds about, a couple at Music Villa, a standard was given as a prize at the homecoming, and board member Amp picked up a lefty she had ordered, another friend in Bozeman pulled one out one day, etc, so I spent quite a bit of time playing and listening to them. Whaddya know, I really like hummingbirds! Depends on the strings and how you play but to me they have a very crispy mahogany sound which is very good strummed. You can hear each string clearly and distinctly. Crispy. Too bad they have changed the color in recent years to that honey burst from the original candy red. I like the honey burst too but the candy red evokes memories for me. I'm not sure but I think maybe I like the standard models I have heard better than the tv's, though the TV models are good, too.

Yep, I personally can tell a big difference in the tone between the standard and TV. It is a lot about the bracing no doubt, as the TV I really can feel resonating strongly even with the slightest touch, thats what blows me away about it. It certainly is much more sensitve and resonant than the standard and I can literally feel the bracing on the standard to be stronger and it reflects in the wood vibration and resulting tone.

Actually the past discussions we had Em7 really taught me a lot about the bracing and now I really take notice of the bracing in how it influcences the relative tone.

The only reason why thus far I havent bougth the the HB TV is because of the country western, which is meant to be a HB in disguise. But the tone is definitely different. The bracing on the CW is tighter and these days with more experience I can definitely hear and feel the result of the tighter bracing. It is stil an oustanding guitar, being a players guitar for 40 years, but its a more woody, tighter, crisper tone than a HB. It actually sounds a lot like a vintage D-18.

Hence my continual fascination and GAS for a HB TV ....

I follow your fascination from behind a bush EA, and predict it will go on. The Bird calls something deep within you and I know exactly how you feel. Can't explain it, but it's so soothing to have the guitar around - something bigger falls into place. I play mine every day and keep all senses open for the way it develops. It's fantastic to flatpick, but I'm still not sure if the basic sound will end up where I want it – as you can hear, it's all mysterious under this roof.

And I have to repeat that the Standard I tried a year ago sounded at least as good as the TV. You EA, often distinguish rather sharply between the 2. But can you or anyone else tell what the actual inner (construction) differences are. (Not tuners, burst, bindings, guard)

In my mind I sometimes remove the guard. I know it would be a crime to steal away the guitars pride, but from a sonic angle the idea is enticing.

Yep, I personally can tell a big difference in the tone between the standard and TV. . . .

I remember our dialogue and have been on the learning curve also. I figure your '69 C&W would be closer to my '68 SJ, but then there is the guard-issue we had up some weeks ago, I'm sure you remember. My SJ guard is the thick screwed on thing – yours I guess, is the thinner version. You had a question/theory about that difference playing a role for the finer nuances between the models. I think it was Jinder who chimed in, not reluctant to support the idea. This is really what could be called terrain vague and few people are able to say anything specific. Though I know it's sacrilege (and wouldn't do it), someone who dared the 'remove guard experiment' should give a report. But they are rare (simply because of the strong and understandable flora/fauna fascination) and to my knowledge, we don't have them on The Board.

You seem to be secure about some inner differences. Still the G-site tells they are both scalloped (okay the Standard page doesn't speak about radiused top bracing).

One of the local dealers here have both, but I'm almost certain he hasn't looked inside. Maybe I should pay him a visit.

"Hello Sir, I come to examine your Birds and have brought mirror, lamp and a thermos of tea – could I borrow an hour or 2, , , and do you have sugar ?"

Probably one bridge too far on a plain day in November. . .

Well to be honest they way I could tell is not by looking inside but just feeling the vibrations coming from the guitar. The TV model really comes alive and almost tries to jump out of your hand, while the standard less so. There is also what i felt a weigth difference with the TV being lighter and seemed more responsive.

btw: I ordered a cheapish HB pickgurd with an adhesive, ill try to place it on top my thin CW guard just to see if there is any difference ... my little experiment. Should arrive next week.

The tonal differences I heard when playing both personally between is very, very similar to how these two sound. To my ears the HB TV sounds really richer, deeper, more resonant then the MC, and the guy reviewing it feels similar.

I remember our dialogue and have been on the learning curve also. I figure your '69 C&W would be closer to my '68 SJ, but then there is the guard-issue we had up some weeks ago, I'm sure you remember. My SJ guard is the thick screwed on thing yours I guess, is the thinner version. You had a question/theory about that difference playing a role for the finer nuances between the models. I think it was Jinder who chimed in, not reluctant to support the idea. This is really what could be called terrain vague and few people are able to say anything specific. Though I know it's sacrilege (and wouldn't do it), someone who dared the 'remove guard experiment' should give a report. But they are rare (simply because of the strong and understandable flora/fauna fascination) and to my knowledge, we don't have them on The Board.

You seem to be secure about some inner differences. Still the G-site tells they are both scalloped (okay the Standard page doesn't speak about radiused top bracing).

One of the local dealers here have both, but I'm almost certain he hasn't looked inside. Maybe I should pay him a visit.

"Hello Sir, I come to examine your Birds and have brought mirror, lamp and a thermos of tea could I borrow an hour or 2, , , and do you have sugar ?"

Probably one bridge too far on a plain day in November. . .

All Montana made Gibson flat tops have a radiused top and radiused top braces to match.

The TV models make use of the AJ style bracing, if I remember right (this makes them neither 'true' to the originals nor 'vintage' but who pays attention to marketing hype - they are good guitars if not terribly true to tradition). They are also generally a lighter build. As a general thing, the TV models the tops seem lighter and easier to get moving. However, in my view they do not have the same very high ceiling that the standard models have. You can really whomp on the standard models and they just keep getting louder. So if you want something very sensitive which will have good volume with a light right hand, the TV's are nice. On the other hand if you are a little heavy on the picking hand and like to really dig in the standard models may suit better.

EA -

Sounds like a good idea, let's keep the investigation running. I fully believe you when you tell about weight-difference also, just never noticed when I A/B'ed.

The guy in the video swings quite a few guitars on the Tube. Wonder if he ever peeks in here. Maybe he's posting once in a while -

But you will report 3 stages :

Thin old -

Without-

Thicker new -

Don't need to say I look forward.

retro -

Okay you are a cherry-picker, , , admit I'm plain crazy for the TV honey-b. The whole thing is just so delicious.

Jerry -

Read you loud and clear and will keep it in mind next time I visit the shop. The term high ceiling goes a bit over my head. Guess it means the guitar can speak up when hammered.

livemusic -

You should try a bunch and see what happens. H-birds definitely didn't get their reputation for the looks alone.

Be lucky and patient and you'll find dripping nectar inside the tone -

I dont plan to remove the older guard Em7, to scared to go that far, would not know how to do it anyway. But i will apply the new guard on top as its self adhesive (same shape) and can be taken off easily. Most likely there will be no difference in tone but Ill have a crack at it anyway and report after ..

EA -

Sounds like a good idea, let's keep the investigation running. I fully believe you when you tell about weight-difference also, just never noticed when I A/B'ed.

The guy in the video swings quite a few guitars on the Tube. Wonder if he ever peeks in here. Maybe he's posting once in a while -

But you will report 3 stages :

Thin old -

Without-

Thicker new -

Don't need to say I look forward.

retro -

Okay you are a cherry-picker, , , admit I'm plain crazy for the TV honey-b. The whole thing is just so delicious.

Jerry -

Read you loud and clear and will keep it in mind next time I visit the shop. The term high ceiling goes a bit over my head. Guess it means the guitar can speak up when hammered.

livemusic -

You should try a bunch and see what happens. H-birds definitely didn't get their reputation for the looks alone.

Be lucky and patient and you'll find dripping nectar inside the tone -

I dont plan to remove the older guard Em7, , ,

I see, , , so according to our logic, there's a chance you might dampen the old C&W.

Okay then :

Original thin

vs

Double thick

The original could be removed with a credit-card and naphtha. (Damn - for untraceable reasons that naphtha-word is still hard for me to handle). Never mind.

Btw. I saw a method to do what you intend to do on the web.

Place the new guard precisely where you want it and attach 2 stripes of harmless tape as hinges between the up-side of the guard and the lower side of the guitar. Then lift the guard and remove the glue-cover - last carefully sink the guard, which is held in place/steered by the tape.

Whatever happens. . .

Exiting -

livemusic - Pardon for bending the thread

Thank you for this tip, I was just wondering how to do it without stuffing somethign up. Do you have the weblink by any chance ?

[Place the new guard precisely where you want it and attach 2 stripes of harmless tape as hinges between the up-side of the guard and the lower side of the guitar. Then lift the guard and remove the glue-cover - last carefully sink the guard, which is held in place/steered by the tape. [/color][/size][/font]

Whatever happens. . .

Exiting -

livemusic - Pardon for bending the thread

... at the homecoming, and board member Amp picked up a lefty she had ordered, ...

Actually, she hadn't ordered it. We go into Music Villa, and run into Don Ruffatto who says "We've got a guitar over at the plant you might be interested in". Turns out that Juan Carlos had ordered an upgraded lefty TV with a top selected and hand-built by Ren, and a second one was built by mistake. She'd been talking about wanting an H-bird for awhile -- she plays rhythm, and it's the ultimate R'n'R acoustic rhythm guitar (according to Keef, among many others). Especially after A/B-ing it against the "regular" TV and Standard at MV, it was an easy purchasing decision.

Just another little Gibson Homecoming miracle!

-- Bob R

Actually, she hadn't ordered it. We go into Music Villa, and run into Don Ruffatto who says "We've got a guitar over at the plant you might be interested in". Turns out that Juan Carlos had ordered an upgraded lefty TV with a top selected and hand-built by Ren, and a second one was built by mistake. She'd been talking about wanting an H-bird for awhile -- she plays rhythm, and it's the ultimate R'n'R acoustic rhythm guitar (according to Keef, among many others). Especially after A/B-ing it against the "regular" TV and Standard at MV, it was an easy purchasing decision.

Just another little Gibson Homecoming miracle!

-- Bob R

indeed those two guitars a twin sisters . from what Anne told me after they made mine, someone at gibson forgot to take it out of the system so Ren made anotherone and Anne was the lucky owner of that second one that was made . here is mine :

Juanshbird002.jpg

JuanHbird003.jpg

here is Anne with hers :D:

Annie-with-Hummingbird.jpg

honestly I have not played mine . It's stored away for a special gig :) .

but Anne told me her's was really awesome sounding that Ren really did a wonderful job .And they have consecutive serial numbers

I'm really happy for her :D

And i would say the Hummingbird in my opinion is just "super" special .

I mean you can't go wrong with a bird IMHO

Hi Folks,

Lets not forget the custom shop limited edition/one off h'birds. I have one made with Koa back and sides with deeply scalloped braces. It has the Gibson sparkle when strummed/picked towards the bridge and a wonderful full resonating sound when strummed at the sound hole. BTW - Has anyone else experienced this: After 10-15 minutes of heavy playing, this guitar emits a wonderful cedar smell!

LCB

Archived