Gibson Brands Forums

Nitrocellulose Finish Maintenance

junglejem

What products would you folks recommend to maintain the nitrocellulose finish on a Gibson acoustic? I don't think anyone does a sunburst any better than Gibson, but in my experience (formerly a J-200 and currently a Jackson Browne) the finish has the tendency to take on areas of cloudiness, or a dullness. This is particlulary evident where my arm rests on the lower bout while playing (I rarely allow bare skin to come in contact with the body), but that isn't the only area. The finishes seem ultra-sensitive to small blemishes, lines, etc. despite the fact I "baby" my instruments.

Is there a product or group of products out there that work nicely to buff out these minor imperfections and restore the luster of the original finish? Or do Gibson acoustic just become "aged" before their time?

I use Gibson's Pump Polish (in the orange spray bottle). It does very well for me. If the "hazing" is real bad, I would recommend Virtuoso cleaning polish. A little expensive, but it is a "must-have" in your guitar maintenance bag!

+ 1.

After playing, wipe down the guitar with a microfiber cloth and a squirt of the Gibson pump polish and you'll never have that cloudy forearm hazing.

Plus it smells great.

Red 333

I swear by Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish. It is specially formulated for nitro finishes and does an amazing job, especially on the haze created by the arm on the lower bout of the guitar.

While I'm playing, to smooth the stickiness of the neck, I use Dunlop guitar polish spray. Just a bit of a mist and wipe and the neck is smooth again.

I use Gibson's Pump Polish (in the orange spray bottle). It does very well for me. If the "hazing" is real bad, I would recommend Virtuoso cleaning polish. A little expensive, but it is a "must-have" in your guitar maintenance bag!

Agree 100%. Pump Polish is fine for routine care, and Virtuoso when you really need the big guns.

I just bought a 1947 L-7 today, complete with 65 years of tobacco smoke grunge all over it. I'll probably go through a gallon of Virtuoso before I'm through cleaning it, but it continues to amaze me with what it can do to a dirty, tired nitro finish. Lots of Virtuoso cleaner, followed by the Virtuoso polish. It can revive finishes that seem beyond repair, but you have to understand how to use it.

Just came across this topic. Good one as I also have some cloudiness here and there. Never used Virtuoso. I have a question on the same topic...Gibson Finish... I was wanting to get more info on my Gibson and spoke with Darell in Montana. He searched through what records he had and said they used a Violin Finish on mine. So, what does that mean??? Is it the same as nitrocellulose ? Thanks for any thoughts

I had a thread earlier asking about using lighter fluid and was advised to try Virtuoso cleaner and polish. I purchased both and was asked to give a report so here it is. The Virtuoso cleaner was amazing. It remover the fog and even took out several light scratches by the pick guard. I was amazed and pleased! But it is obviously an abrasive based cleaner. I do not plan on using it often, maybe twice a year. I followed the cleaning with the polish which as well did an excellent job. Now the guitar sounds good just looking at it! The cleaner and polish also contain a UV protection, though my guitar stays in the case when it is not being played. I am pleased and would recommend them both.

chasAK

I had a thread earlier asking about using lighter fluid and was advised to try Virtuoso cleaner and polish. I purchased both and was asked to give a report so here it is. The Virtuoso cleaner was amazing. It remover the fog and even took out several light scratches by the pick guard. I was amazed and pleased! But it is obviously an abrasive based cleaner. I do not plan on using it often, maybe twice a year. I followed the cleaning with the polish which as well did an excellent job. Now the guitar sounds good just looking at it! The cleaner and polish also contain a UV protection, though my guitar stays in the case when it is not being played. I am pleased and would recommend them both.

chasAK

Virtuoso cleaner is very aggressive, and is specifically designed to clean and restore dirty or badly oxidised finishes. I do not believe it should be used as a routine polish on any guitar: it really is a restoration product. Virtuoso polish, on the other hand, can be used as a routine care product. If you keep the guitar polished after an initial cleaning, you really shouldn't need to use Virtuoso cleaner again for a long, long time.

Forearm haze can be minimised by washing your arms before playing, wearing long-sleeved cotton shirts, wiping down the guitar with a damp soft cloth when finished, and/or using a product like Gibson Pump Polish on a regular basis. Even if you don't have the self-discipline to clean the guitar after every use, if you make a habit of polishing it at every string change, it should be just fine.

Some people's body chemistry just reacts with a nitro finish to produce haze. The best solution there is long sleeves, like a simple long-sleeved cotton T-shirt.

Virtuoso cleaner is very aggressive, and is specifically designed to clean and restore dirty or badly oxidised finishes. I do not believe it should be used as a routine polish on any guitar: it really is a restoration product. Virtuoso polish, on the other hand, can be used as a routine care product. If you keep the guitar polished after an initial cleaning, you really shouldn't need to use Virtuoso cleaner again for a long, long time.

Forearm haze can be minimised by washing your arms before playing, wearing long-sleeved cotton shirts, wiping down the guitar with a damp soft cloth when finished, and/or using a product like Gibson Pump Polish on a regular basis. Even if you don't have the self-discipline to clean the guitar after every use, if you make a habit of polishing it at every string change, it should be just fine.

Some people's body chemistry just reacts with a nitro finish to produce haze. The best solution there is long sleeves, like a simple long-sleeved cotton T-shirt.

+1 on this. j45nick is right on about the use of these two products. I rarely use the cleaner and only on the arm haze issues. Light huffing on the finish and buffing with a micro-fiber cloth will do a great job everyday. I spritz a little Dunlop 65 and buff instead of huff. :)

Nick, thanks for the advice, I won’t use the cleaner on a regular basis. I do wipe down the instrument after each use, but not with a damp cloth. I have not been able to find the Gibson pump polish up here, but I have been using the Martin polish. It doesn’t do the job and seems to leave a film on the finish. The Virtuoso polish worked great.

chasAK

Nick, thanks for the advice, I won’t use the cleaner on a regular basis. I do wipe down the instrument after each use, but not with a damp cloth. I have not been able to find the Gibson pump polish up here, but I have been using the Martin polish. It doesn’t do the job and seems to leave a film on the finish. The Virtuoso polish worked great.

chasAK

I've tried a lot of polishes. The Martin polish is a waste of space in your toolbox. It seems like water, does nothing, and doesn't buff out well. Like you say, it leaves a film behind that doesn't buff out.

I just used the Virtuoso polish on my '48 J-45 tonight for a general cleanup when changing strings. It really does work well on a finish that is already clean and ready to buff to a high gloss, or to remove fingerprints and general hand/arm oils.

You do need to buff it out thoroughly with a clean, dry cloth, much like waxing a car. I also have been using the Virtuoso cleaner/polish combination on my "new" '47 L-7, which was a godawful mess, covered with 65 years of cigarette smoke and grunge. Once again the Virtuoso proves itself to be scary good stuff, although the cleaner is not for the faint of heart. Think of the cleaner like using rubbing compound on a car finish--use it sparingly, and rarely--and the polish like finishing the rubbed-down car off with a good wax job.

There are some who accuse me of destroying an old guitar's mojo by removing dirt, grunge, and corrosion. I say I'm returning its sense of self-esteem.

I use the Gibson Reissue Restoration Kit- 2 Gibson polishing cloths,cream guitar polish,premium fretboard conditioner,low abrasion metal cleaner. It is made by Gibson and I like the results.

I've tried this, and it's OK for routine maintenance. The metal polish will remove fingerprints and buff plating that's in good condition to a decent shine, but that's about it. The fretboard conditioner is just lemon oil, as far as I can tell. The polish is OK for fingerprints and smudges. I think it's overkill to call it a "restoration kit". Maybe their idea of restoration is different from mine.

Most of these products are generally adequate for normal cleanup during a string change, but they will not remove grime, forearm haze, or the greenish buildup you get on nickel-plated metal parts on older guitars. For those tasks, you need to move on to more aggressive products, and use them carefully.

Half my guitars would be classified as vintage instruments, and half as new instruments. I use a wide variety of products which vary from instrument to instrument, depending on its individual needs. Just about the only one that gets used on every guitar is Planet Waves Hydrate fretboard conditioner, which does a great job as a buffing oil for frets, in addition to its primary use.

Incidentally--and I've mentioned this before, but it deserves reiterating--I would never use steel wool as a buffing product. It always leaves behind tiny bits of metal which can and will rust over time. Use bronze wool instead, which looks like copper-colored steel wool. It works in exactly the same way, but any particles left behind do not rust like steel does.

In the US, you can buy bronze wool at any good marine store, such as West Marine. It should be in every maintenance kit, along with cotton swabs, FINE Scotchbrite pads (white or blue), and other tools such as dental picks, fingernail sanding boards, dental mirrors, and all sorts of other little detailing gizmos.

Sorry to ramble on about this. It's obviously a bit of an obsession.

Archived