Gibson Brands Forums

20 best amps in the world today

All I'm gonna say is that the DR is there, I had one and like an idiot dumped it for something similar but with more than five times the whumph that I needed about as much then or now as an extra 100 pounds on my gut.

Yeah, I kick myself every time I think about it.

m

I don't know about this list. It doesn't have my Crate GTD65 on it at all even though I have proven that amp can sit submerged in flood water for 3 days and still deliver the goods. I can't take this list too seriously.

Allow me to set the scene:

An out of the way , musty smelling bar ( Fred's mothers basement ), an alluring seductress caually reclines on a hand tooled naugahyde couch. Fred approaches, nervously drowning a slow - gin fizz, and the conversation ensues:

Fred: AHHHEMMM, do I know you?

Seductress: Hisssssssssssss ( translated ) " Maybe, maybe not, have a seat you big lump of man ."

Fred: Thank you, how are you? Do you come here often?

Seductress; Hisssssssssssssssss ( translated ) " I'm feeling a tad deflated, thanks for asking, and yes I'm here every night."

Fred:" I'm a little down too, some mean ol guys were giving me a hard time on the internet so Mom told me to come down here and unwind"

Seductress: Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssss ( translated ) " Well , lets you and I unwind together, Fredkins"

Fred:" Wow ,that would be great, can I get you a slow gin?

Seductress: Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ( translated ) " No, what I do need is a patch kit, a bicycle pump and at least another 20 p.s.i., to get me upright " .

Fred:" I'll be right back, I think old man Fezziwig next door has everything I need , but since it's dark outside I'll have to ask Mom if I can go out."

Seductress: Hisssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssss ssssss sss s s s s s s ( translated ) " Hurry Studmuffin, I'm run ning o u t o f a i r .

Fade out of bar scene. [flapper]

you really have way too much time on your hands and its really creepy. like really creepy.

screen-capture-1-1.png

I'm okay with that list, but as with any list, there are things I'd add and take off, and like dem00n, there's stuff on there I've never even heard of. I also think Fred is entitled to his opinion and think bluz, cookie and searcy need to take your little love-fest outside.

I'm okay with that list, but as with any list, there are things I'd add and take off, and like dem00n, there's stuff on there I've never even heard of. I also think Fred is entitled to his opinion and think bluz, cookie and searcy need to take your little love-fest outside.

Are there cool amps out side?

Geez, Fred throws off on people and we can't have a little fun back. Poor little Fred. It was meant to poke a little fun, a joke there son, I tell you what send me your address in a PM and I'll send you some money to buy yourself a sense of humor with.

you really have way too much time on your hands and its really creepy. like really creepy.

screen-capture-1-1.png

You are correct, I'm sitting inside this Data center , all by my lonesome and getting paid just for being here. So I figured I would poke a little fun. Nothing to get in a twist over, harmless fun. Maybe I should have added some type of disclaimer.

This is just a "fan vote" popularity contest, and the Music Radar is attempting to draw readership with the "best amps in the world" headline.

If most Music Radar readers think a Fender Hot Rod printed-circuit-board amp is one of the best ever made, then I'm guessing they're not that sophisticated.

And it's not surprising, I guess, that they prefer budget amps over, say, a TrainWreck, Divided by 13, Carr, or any number of other far nicer ones.

This is just a "fan vote" popularity contest, and the Music Radar is attempting to draw readership with the "best amps in the world" headline.

If most Music Radar readers think a Fender Hot Rod printed-circuit-board amp is one of the best ever made, then I'm guessing they're not that sophisticated.

And it's not surprising, I guess, that they prefer budget amps over, say, a TrainWreck, Divided by 13, Carr, or any number of other far nicer ones.

Something is only as good as it is percieved to be

I think Searcy's point about his 3-day flooded Crate may not have gotten the recognition it deserves.

There's a difference among three major classes of purchase decisions for amps:

1. Those purchased for home use only, yet among folks of divergent economic ability. Function beyond a very basic degree is not as important as whether they make noise and somehow suit the sound, appearance and overall aesthetic and bank account of the purchaser.

2. Those super roadworthy amps purchased by road bands, complete to protective travel kits for bus, truck or trailer. Reliability is of major importance. Again these are generally far more expensive in general than other equipment, but largely in the name of reliability - although sales spiels may not reflect that except to road pros who tend to buy from real pro tech-oriented sales people. "Show" is important for some, not in other types of show.

3. The part-time weekend warrior whose needs are somewhere between the two extremes. He needs reliability but not something that necessarily would survive a nuclear war. He usually has a budget. He tries to find equipment that fits with his "show," whether solo or a group.

I find it interesting that those issues weren't really addressed in the "best" poll. Which tells me that most voters in the poll were of the #1 variety.

This isn't praise or criticism of any given amp - but may help consider where the heads of those debating the subject might come from, and how their amp purchase decisions might be made.

m

My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe has been a workhorse for the past 7 years. Great tone and loud enough..

But, given the chance, you'd probably trade your Fender Hot Rod even up for a mint condition Trainwreck or Dumble or Fuchs or Divided by 13.

I think Searcy's point about his 3-day flooded Crate may not have gotten the recognition it deserves.

There's a difference among three major classes of purchase decisions for amps:

1. Those purchased for home use only, yet among folks of divergent economic ability. Function beyond a very basic degree is not as important as whether they make noise and somehow suit the sound, appearance and overall aesthetic and bank account of the purchaser.

2. Those super roadworthy amps purchased by road bands, complete to protective travel kits for bus, truck or trailer. Reliability is of major importance. Again these are generally far more expensive in general than other equipment, but largely in the name of reliability - although sales spiels may not reflect that except to road pros who tend to buy from real pro tech-oriented sales people. "Show" is important for some, not in other types of show.

3. The part-time weekend warrior whose needs are somewhere between the two extremes. He needs reliability but not something that necessarily would survive a nuclear war. He usually has a budget. He tries to find equipment that fits with his "show," whether solo or a group.

I find it interesting that those issues weren't really addressed in the "best" poll. Which tells me that most voters in the poll were of the #1 variety.

This isn't praise or criticism of any given amp - but may help consider where the heads of those debating the subject might come from, and how their amp purchase decisions might be made.

m

I hadn't thought of that. I knew that the voters werent the type to spend multiple thousands of pounds on their amps because there are so many amps as mentioned by the others on this forum that werent on the list