Gibson Brands Forums

BLACK FRIDAY

RS1976

you wanna stick it to the man?!?

don't buy anything expensive. since you're musicians, record your songs, and design your own homemade indie CDs, tapes... make people gifts of your heart and soul.

don't get caught up in the pushin and shovin. and F***k Guitar Center.

you wanna stick it to the man?!?

don't buy anything expensive. since you're musicians, record your songs, and design your own homemade indie CDs, tapes... make people gifts of your heart and soul.

don't get caught up in the pushin and shovin. and F***k Guitar Center.

The man?

You sir are sexist! Their arent just men ruling this world you know!

Thats what I'm going to give my wife for Christmas, a homemade tape [thumbdn]. Sorry bud, she gets to listen to me play guitar all the time, weather she wants to or not. "Here you go Matthew, my 6 year old nephew, its a tape of me playing guitar, Merry Christmas." Im going to have to line "the man's" pocket a little more this Christmas. It's either that or be the cheap a$$ husband/father/brother/uncle/and son that made everyone homemade tapes for Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG-VB5xb6KM

Thats what I'm going to give my wife for Christmas, a homemade tape [thumbdn]. Sorry bud, she gets to listen to me play guitar all the time, weather she wants to or not. "Here you go Matthew, my 6 year old nephew, its a tape of me playing guitar, Merry Christmas." Im going to have to line "the man's" pocket a little more this Christmas. It's either that or be the cheap a$$ husband/father/brother/uncle/and son that made everyone homemade tapes for Christmas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG-VB5xb6KM

hey baby. my point is... don't be a spendin' fool. get hip.

Sorry I went to all the sales today(well all the non guitar related sales) and I had a good time. I don't see why so many people hate on black friday. It was a fun day, I spent around 600 bucks and saved around 850 bucks.

if you can afford it... follow your bliss.

What I found interesting, is that "Black Friday" started out as an insider term for people who work in retail. They hated working the Friday after Thanksgiving because of people and the hectic workload of that day. If you think about it, it's very cynical towards the shoppers. (In in airline world, we had "Black Wednesday" before Thanksgiving) But now it's embraced as a marketing slogan by all the stores. :-k

Hmmm... Never heard that one before. I always heard that it was the day that retailers annual balance sheets finally started operating "in the black".

Any way, scored me a killer deal on a Line 6 POD HD at Guitar Center. Love me some Black Friday. [thumbup]

The extent of my Black Friday participation is when Circuit City used to have all single CDs for $10 each, that was a good deal and it was never crowded by the time I went.

I do not see how not shopping is sticking it to the man, it is the opposite actually in this economy.

The OP suggestion seems pretty selfish actually: Hey I did not get you anything but here is ME playing guitar for you, take it.

By the way, I also thought the term came from the fact that retailers operated on the black on and after this day and until the end of the fiscal year.

The extent of my Black Friday participation is when Circuit City used to have all single CDs for $10 each, that was a good deal and it was never crowded by the time I went.

I do not see how not shopping is sticking it to the man, it is the opposite actually in this economy.

The OP suggestion seems pretty selfish actually: Hey I did not get you anything but here is ME playing guitar for you, take it.

By the way, I also thought the term came from the fact that retailers operated on the black on and after this day and until the end of the fiscal year.

dude... you're as clueless as the day is long. if you're an artist (and not a guitar and effect collector) then your music is worth more than anything else, and there is nothing selfish about giving someone a sincere gift of art. but you seem to be of the mindset that you gotta buy things....

ah well.

Hmmm... Never heard that one before. I always heard that it was the day that retailers annual balance sheets finally started operating "in the black".

Having been in retail for about 7 years until 1987 this was always my understanding back then. Over the years others may have hijacked the term to mean something other than originally intended.

dude... you're as clueless as the day is long. if you're an artist (and not a guitar and effect collector) then your music is worth more than anything else, and there is nothing selfish about giving someone a sincere gift of art. but you seem to be of the mindset that you gotta buy things....

ah well.

More than music family is worth more than anything else to me.

I think you are the clueless one here, most people are not musicians, they like to shop, period. I didn't say I was buying anything, not sure how you arrive to your conclusions.

Maybe I am just de-sensitized, I live in Nashville, a place were musicians will say anything to push their music shamelessly and selfishly.

I wrote a lullaby for my newborn daughter, so, I value music but I am not going to ask her to "stick it to the man" by not shopping, because that is not sticking it to the man. That's all.

There's nothing wrong, with "responsible" shopping! Just use

some common sense, is what I feel/say. If you can't (really)

afford something, don't buy it, or wait, until you can afford it.

This constant need to "keep up with the Rockefeller's" and doing

so "Right Now!," and then paying for it, for the rest of your life,

is pure insanity...IMHO. But, responsible shopping, for gifts, and

"needed" items, is fine!

Of course, that kind of "pure insanity," is what this country seems

to run on...Now, more than ever! [tongue][biggrin]

Certainly, the Federal Government thinks, and acts, so! [cursing]

CB

More than music family is worth more than anything else to me.

I think you are the clueless one here, most people are not musicians, they like to shop, period. I didn't say I was buying anything, not sure how you arrive to your conclusions.

Maybe I am just de-sensitized, I live in Nashville, a place were musicians will say anything to push their music shamelessly and selfishly.

I wrote a lullaby for my newborn daughter, so, I value music but I am not going to ask her to "stick it to the man" by not shopping, because that is not sticking it to the man. That's all.

lol... Nashville.

Which man are you sticking it too? If nobody shops than the everybody loses out especially those that work retail or depend on sales taxes which is pretty much everybody?

I had heard that Black friday was originally the nickname given to the Friday after Thanksgiving by the cab drivers and bus drivers in Philadelphia because of the crowds and the traffic issues the crowds caused.

Archived