Gibson Brands Forums

Mountain Tone at Woodstock

bluesguitar65

Yeah, I saw Leslie w/"Mountain" several times, during that period.

He used 2 Marshall Stacks, and the LP Junior, to great effect. Of

course, that combination is "Tone Heaven" anyway! Gibson/Marshall

is pretty tough to beat, IMHO. Especially the overdriven "Plexi's"

of that era. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Here is a surprise. Here is Leslie West speaking about woodstock and the amp he used on woodstock. He did not use Marshalls on that great event. That mountain of a tone was not even amplified with a "GUITAR AMP". Folks, watch this video and find out what he used for amplification on woodstock, you all will be surprised, I know I was. Oh, I didn't even know Budda amps is owned by Leslie West.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf9WRHMB-DE&feature=fvst

Here is a surprise. Here is Leslie West speaking about woodstock and the amp he used on woodstock. He did not use Marshalls on that great event. That mountain of a tone was not even amplified with a "GUITAR AMP". Folks, watch this video and find out what he used for amplification on woodstock, you all will be surprised, I know I was. Oh, I didn't even know Budda amps is owned by Leslie West.

pretty interesting interview. good stuff.

Leslie West defined the hard rock tone before hard rock was a genre. [thumbup]

Nope, sorry...Deep Purple (Ritchie Blackmore) and Led Zeppelin, did it before "Mountain."

Deep Purple/Led Zeppelin were both formed in '68...a year before "Mountain," which

was formed in '69. Even "Cream" was formed in '66, with Fresh Cream put out in '67.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience, was formed in '66, as well. So, as much as I like Mountain,

and Leslie West, there was plenty of "Hard Rock" sounds, prior to Leslie West, and/or "Mountain!" [biggrin]

CB

Felix Pappalardi was one of the great bass players, and Cream producers. Not to mention his sitting in on some Cream songs in the studio. Mellotron played on Badge for one on the Goodbye Cream album. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Archived