Gibson Brands Forums

Amp simulation effects processor into an amp

PR36

Hi, I have read up page after page on the latest multi effects such as the line 6 models and the pod hd300 etc but i am totally confused about whether these sorts of effects units are really suitable for running into an amp, as opposed to just using on a computer for home recording. All of the manufacturers seem to claim that these units support this but when googling up peoples opinions it doesn't seem everyone is convinced and there doesn't seem to be a simple explanation on any of the manufacturer sites as to how you run a simulated amp sound into a guitar amp and retain that sound, rather than end up with something that is a combination both of the simulation and the amp you plug into, if that makes sense.. So i guess ultimately i am asking that if i want a range of quality amp sounds should i go for an amp with the modelling, or (with what i would prefer in principle) a good quality tube amp and use a separate effects processor into it like the pod hd300.

Thanks

An amp sim can work with a normal guitar amp, but how successfully will be down to what you're expecting to hear. If you have to plug the Pod, or whatever you choose, into the regular guitar input the most successful method will be to use a very clean setting on the amp. For example, set the channel input low and the master high with all the tone controls set flat and any FX/reverb turned off. A better method would be if you can plug straight into the power amp section. Some Peavey combo's have, or used to have, this facility which takes the amp/combo's preamp out of the equation. I used this method some years ago with a Pod and a Peavey keyboard combo when I did work with a lot of MIDI backing which had to go through the same combo. I'm not going to pretend it made the guitar parts sound like they were going through a boutique tube amp but in the context of a live mix it was acceptable if a little on the harsh side (to my ears anyway).

That said, if you really want the sound and response of a good tube amp, I'd say save up and buy one. An amp sim can be good, but at the end of the day it's never going to give a real tube amp any sleepless nights.

Guest BentonC

An amp sim can work with a normal guitar amp, but how successfully will be down to what you're expecting to hear. If you have to plug the Pod, or whatever you choose, into the regular guitar input the most successful method will be to use a very clean setting on the amp. For example, set the channel input low and the master high with all the tone controls set flat and any FX/reverb turned off. A better method would be if you can plug straight into the power amp section. Some Peavey combo's have, or used to have, this facility which takes the amp/combo's preamp out of the equation. I used this method some years ago with a Pod and a Peavey keyboard combo when I did work with a lot of MIDI backing which had to go through the same combo. I'm not going to pretend it made the guitar parts sound like they were going through a boutique tube amp but in the context of a live mix it was acceptable if a little on the harsh side (to my ears anyway).

That said, if you really want the sound and response of a good tube amp, I'd say save up and buy one. An amp sim can be good, but at the end of the day it's never going to give a real tube amp any sleepless nights.

+1. Good summary.

• 3 months later...

I use this pedal thru a marshall 1/2 stack,clean on the amp,the dual amp proccessor is great cuz u can mix alot of diff amp sims as well diff gain types,if you play heavier stuff,this is a good pedal imo.The amps disortion is awesome as well.

The 2nd dude is a bit more informative

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have read up page after page on the latest multi effects such as the line 6 models and the pod hd300 etc but i am totally confused about whether these sorts of effects units are really suitable for running into an amp, as opposed to just using on a computer for home recording. All of the manufacturers seem to claim that these units support this but when googling up peoples opinions it doesn't seem everyone is convinced and there doesn't seem to be a simple explanation on any of the manufacturer sites as to how you run a simulated amp sound into a guitar amp and retain that sound, rather than end up with something that is a combination both of the simulation and the amp you plug into, if that makes sense.. So i guess ultimately i am asking that if i want a range of quality amp sounds should i go for an amp with the modelling, or (with what i would prefer in principle) a good quality tube amp and use a separate effects processor into it like the pod hd300.

Thanks

There are as many ways to chase a tone as there are musicians with imagination.

I've used a lot of different individual effects pedals over the years but in more recent times have been trying to simplify my life. I now use a Line 6 Spider Valve 212 Bogner amp which has the effects on the front end and a Bogner tube amp for the output. The amp has a lot of effects built in which you can control with the foot board for the amp. It also lets you store your own custom sounds that are also controlled with the same foot pedal. In addition, if you want to plug any other sim pedals into it, you can set up a very clean tone on the amp and switch in the extra pedal with one push of a button on the control board. Then take over the effects with the external sim pedal. Although it is possible to go direct out to a mixing board for recording, my personal preference is to mike the amp when recording because I can hear whats going into the recording more realistically. It makes setup a lot easier for me and I haven't felt that I lack any effects capability with the ability to tune in and store my own sound.

Just another way to do it.

It won't if you monitor what you're recording through a pair of 100w powered monitors turned way up. You can't be a rock God and not annoy the neighbours. [biggrin]

I wanna see the guy on here that constantly has his tube-stack cranked to oblivion and not had the police called on him [flapper]

• 2 months later...

my problem with these so-called "Amp Simulators" is that all they seem to be good for is to produce a heavy metal, power chord, teenager-on-steroids sound, so in essence, all simulations sound the same, i.e., blow-them-speakers, annoy-your-neighbors kind of distorted sounds. Nothing "musical" if you know what I mean.

Nobody has re-created the CLEAN musical sounds of amplifiers such as the Class 2 Mesa Boogie amplifiers, or the Thomas Vox SS amplifiers, sounds which had nothing to do with distorting amplifiers to death. [flapper]

even Jimi Hendrix used clean sounds, but not today, everybody sounds the same. [thumbdn]

My config is similar ...

I run an RP1000 into a PA, or the effects return of an acoustic/keyboard amp. This preserves the amp and cab sims from the unit as much as can be.

It can be used with a regular guitar amp the same way, but as we all know, guitar amps are intended to color their inputs.

At a minimum, the cab part of the equation will get "hybridized".

This particular unit can also be used strictly as a pedal board going into the regular guitar input.

There are some good utube vids done by Digitech that go over of the possible ways to use it.

As far as models go, I'm getting what I believe are VERY GOOD approximations of the entire spectrum from Fender clean through multi-rectifier

gain out of this thing with British in the middle. Is it perfect? Of course not! But it's an extremely versatile piece of kit for 4 bills.

No, I'm not a Digitech employee or groupie. I've had Line6 and other stuff before. This one is actually useful and enjoyable to use.

I'm planning to take it with me to GC to see how it sounds into the return of 4x10 DeVille ... but seriously, by the time the signal gets that far, it's fully

formed and ready for a clean boost to fill the room. I'm still gonna' try it though :-)

Archived