Gibson Brands Forums

True Vintage Hummingbird vs Firebird Custom Acoustic

hustledouble

OK. I apologize for the addendum to my previous post, but after scouring this and other boards, blogs etc and taking a trip to Guitar Center today to actually play some of the guitars that I've been asking about, I think I've come to the conclusion that my dream guitars are the True Vintage Hummingbird or the Firebird Custom acoustic. Anyone have experience with both? Any other suggestions in that family before I pull the trigger?

if you can find a true vintage hummingbird from 2007 (when Gibson made the first run) those were more consistant .

but pretty much any true vintage hummingbird is very nice sounding (not all though you may find one that has issues) .

want some proof ?

here is a 2007 hbird TV :

I have no input on the fire bird custom

if you can find a true vintage hummingbird from 2007 (when Gibson made the first run) those were more consistant .

but pretty much any true vintage hummingbird is very nice sounding (not all though you may find one that has issues) .

want some proof ?

here is a 2007 hbird TV :

I have no input on the fire bird custom

HustleDouble,

I'm guessing that you already know that the H'bird and Firebird are two different woods B/S ? So..The Maple F'bird is going to be sharper, louder and the H'bird warmer. "Honey Glazed" as one of our members described it here a few days back.

I've got a 2010 H'bird TV and this is the first time I've heard that only the 2007s are consistently good. Sometimes someone picks one up in a Guitar Center and the strings are shot so they extrapolate that experience. So - you hear "all J45s are bad" but you don't hear "because my friend who loves Taylors tried one at GC and hated it." If you can't try hands-on with your own ears the two guitars out that you have narrowed your search down to, I'd suggest backtracking and not rushing into it. You will appreciate the results more if you rely less on other folks opinions and reviews on the internet. G'luck.

I been hovering around them both. Due to an irresistible offer, eventually got the TV Bird. But the Firebird Custom - which was new to me - really impressed. It had more sound, better projection and simply was Gibson maple at its best.

I'd love to try another, but they are rare. Someone told me it's basically a Dove – I don't know. Besides the maple-factor, being a Dove means longer scale length = 25,5 opposed to 24,75.

Now that my Bird is developing, I'd like to compare the 2 again. I'm not sure the result would be as in the shop just described. You need to play both and get yourself into the differences, then imagine how they will progress. Not the easiest task, but heavy fun.

When it comes to looks (not to mention echoes of rock history), the Bird of course takes the trophy.

• 8 years later...