Gibson Brands Forums

Which Solo Was Better

bluesguitar65

At the risk of getting shot down in flames - that was bloody awful.....

One of my most favouritest songs, completely destroyed.

For my money, the original takes some beating, but I also like Sting's version as well as the Derek & The Dominos classic.

Just my 2 penn'orth!

(ducks and runs for cover).....

At the risk of getting shot down in flames - that was bloody awful.....

One of my most favouritest songs, completely destroyed.

For my money, the original takes some beating, but I also like Sting's version as well as the Derek & The Dominos classic.

Just my 2 penn'orth!

(ducks and runs for cover).....

+1000....

I only like the original. I don't even like SRV's version. Way to much wankery. Let the song breath with it's vocal and lyrical beauty.

Nobody could possibly beat Jimi's original solo that he did on a homemade "Leslie" cobbled together by Eric Barrett and a couple of studio techs from a Meccanno set.That version is as far as I'm concerned the prettiest "rock"song ever written and for anyone to try and better it is just gilding the lily.

I also like ... the Derek & The Dominos classic.

I'm with you on the Clapton / Allman version of Little Wing on the Layla album ... a beautiful song, great vocal harmonies ... and Duane's slide work brings out the best in EC.

Orianthi is a minor league player in a major league game who's there because of her looks. Isn't there any homely women that can play guitar? Where's the female Buddy Whitington?

Thats easy. Way before Orianthi, Michael Jackson had another Female Guitarist in his band, Jennifer Batton. She is homely compared to Orianthi and she can play IMHO.

Jennifer_Batten_4.jpg

Let me be the voice of disagreement here yet again and say that, while Jimi's solo was fantastic and can never be beaten, all three guitarists did an admirable job of making the solos their own, making creative note choices, and, overall, really doing the song justice.

To me, Orianthi's solo was really the weakest. Her phrasing was dull and one-dimensional, and her licks were fairly generic compared to the other two, although not obnoxiously so. I've never been a huge fan of Orianthi, though, and seeing this clip reminded me exactly why this is the case. To her credit, though, her technique is very good. Big whoop.

Vai's solo sounded pretty good to me, especially in the beginning. I happen to enjoy his style and his take on melody--to me it's very different and unique, and so for me listening to Vai is always a real treat. His note choices were great, his phrasing was solid and effective, and, IMO, he put in plenty of "soul" (whatever the fxck that means.) In the end it got a little fast for a Hendrix song, but I still think his note choices were creative and that the speed of his playing didn't diminish its effectiveness in any way.

Satch's solo really gave me the most pleasure, though. It was clearly pretty heartfelt, and it was the most melodically interesting of the three. His tone, also, was very smooth and really made his solo stand out from the other two. Again, Satch is fun to listen to for me because his notions on melody are relatively creative and his phrasing is smooth and purposeful. As far as melody, he did a great thing by referencing the melody of the song, which is certainly something that the other two could have done, which, I think, would have definitely improved their solos.

Archived