Gibson Brands Forums

Bands you don't like but everyone likes...

Thundergod

Thanks for reminding me that I REALLY dislike SRV.

I thought the same thing until recently when I heard Telephone Song for the first time in over 20 years. Changed everything. Listen to it and then come back and say you really dislike him with the same emphasis as you did. Maybe I'm wrong but I suspect not. [biggrin]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the same thing until recently when I heard Telephone Song for the first time in over 20 years. Changed everything. Listen to it and then come back and say you really dislike him with the same emphasis as you did. Maybe I'm wrong but I suspect not. [biggrin]

I dunno. It just sounds way too slick to me. Bizarrely, it feels a lot more "soulless" to me than almost all of the metal that I listen to.

I will say, I dig his voice, and I still like the songs "Crossfire" and "Empty Arms," even though I still have the same problems with those two tracks as I do with the rest of his material: his style is just too slick and refined for me. It sounds like more of a parody of blues than actual blues. It just feels very dumbed-down to me. Sorry.

I dunno. It just sounds way too slick to me. Bizarrely, it feels a lot more "soulless" to me than almost all of the metal that I listen to.

I will say, I dig his voice, and I still like the songs "Crossfire" and "Empty Arms," even though I still have the same problems with those two tracks as I do with the rest of his material: his style is just too slick and refined for me. It sounds like more of a parody of blues than actual blues. It just feels very dumbed-down to me. Sorry.

Hey it's your opinion which is great. Music affects people the way it does. Very personal. Going to see Leo Kottke Friday night. Great guitar player. My wife has no interest in seeing him. Oh well, to each [biggrin]

I find it facinating, as do real musicians that I work with, along with members here who are musicians, that non-musicians such as yourself

proclaim knowledge about actual guitar playing skills of any sort at all.................just sayin'..........It is hysterical for us to follow what you post........

Huh? Bit befuddled here Damian.

XD's a good guy, who has a right to his opinion. Beyond that he's demonstrated his own musical (and miscellaneous) knowledge many times (as I've seen). I respect his opinion, it may not be mine, but I can understand where he's coming from. Also, it's not all about "guitar playing skills" it's more about guitar playing sounds! [flapper]

Might be a time to cool off my friend, we got a good group of people here!

I find it facinating, as do real musicians that I work with, along with members here who are musicians, that non-musicians such as yourself

proclaim knowledge about actual guitar playing skills of any sort at all.................just sayin'..........It is hysterical for us to follow what you post........

+:-@

damian, go read his post again. Where did he talk about SRV's skill? Stop being foolish...

I find it facinating, as do real musicians that I work with, along with members here who are musicians, that non-musicians such as yourself proclaim knowledge about actual guitar playing skills of any sort at all.................just sayin'..........It is hysterical for us to follow what you post........

Hardly expected this from you. Meds search...

Wow. Listing bands you dont like is pretty tough...especially when there are bands I used to like, but grew out of.

Lets see...where to start...

Bob Dylan

Led Zep (been burned out on them for over 15 years and counting)

Rolling Stones

Kiss

Aerosmith

Bob Dylan

Eric Clapton (solo)

Warren Zevon

Lynyrd Skynyrd (& 38 Special)

The Who

Queen

Bob Dylan

And thats just the classic rock.

Oh, also, Bob Dylan

I have to agree with XD's assessment of SRV. I've never liked his style. He had mad skills, dont get me wrong, but I also think his sound was too slick and refined...and over-produced. I really like a more raw sound in almost any music. My friend's metal band cut an album a few years back. They gave me the unmastered copy of it and it was great. Then I heard the mastered copy and I totally hated it. It was terrible after it got (over) produced.

There are too many to list. It is usually not an aspect of not "liking" it is I'm just not in to it. I can usually appreciate some aspects of almost all music. I have also found through the years that my tastes change and things I didn't find appealing "At the time" I start to like and things I was "All about" at the time have faded a bit.

Then there are my "Pizza" bands which I might not want to hear everyday but are never bad... Is see no reason to slam any band. It is just my personal taste at the time... I might acquire a taste for it some time later or I might not.

Andy

There are too many to list. It is usually not an aspect of not "liking" it is I'm just not in to it. I can usually appreciate some aspects of almost all music. I have also found through the years that my tastes change and things I didn't find appealing "At the time" I start to like and things I was "All about" at the time have faded a bit.

Then there are my "Pizza" bands which I might not want to hear everyday but are never bad... Is see no reason to slam any band. It is just my personal taste at the time... I might acquire a taste for it some time later or I might not.

Andy

Totally understandable and I feel pretty much the same way. I can appreciate aspects of music from all of the bands I listed except for the possible exception of Kiss and Bob Dylan. And even Dylan has one song that I like (Hurricane).

It is interesting to me that I like a lot of songs done by bands other than the ones who did them originally. I really like the way Tony Rice did "Friend of the Devil" or the way Hendrix did "All Along the Watchtower."

Totally understandable and I feel pretty much the same way. I can appreciate aspects of music from all of the bands I listed except for the possible exception of Kiss and Bob Dylan. And even Dylan has one song that I like (Hurricane).

Good example. I love Kiss but I was 7 years old in 1976 so that was prime time. I don't listen to them everyday. I don't love every song they played and I don't like a lot of songs that I liked as a kid. I like most of the stuff on the 1st three albums and it dissipates as you approach the Love Gun and Destroyer albums and pretty much falls off after that.

I still haven't developed a taste for Dylan though I can appreciate what he has done and who he inspired....

Andy

It is interesting to me that I like a lot of songs done by bands other than the ones who did them originally. I really like the way Tony Rice did "Friend of the Devil" or the way Hendrix did "All Along the Watchtower."

I really like Hendix's "All Along The Watchtower", but Dylan just murders that song, even though he wrote it. Its not so much the music he writes, but how he interperates it. IMO, He is much better at writing songs than performing them...and way too overrated. And the fans dont help either.

Wow. Listing bands you dont like is pretty tough...especially when there are bands I used to like, but grew out of.

Lets see...where to start...

Bob Dylan

Led Zep (been burned out on them for over 15 years and counting)

Rolling Stones

Kiss

Aerosmith

Bob Dylan

Eric Clapton (solo)

Warren Zevon

Lynyrd Skynyrd (& 38 Special)

The Who

Queen

Bob Dylan

And thats just the classic rock.

Oh, also, Bob Dylan

I have to agree with XD's assessment of SRV. I've never liked his style. He had mad skills, dont get me wrong, but I also think his sound was too slick and refined...and over-produced. I really like a more raw sound in almost any music. My friend's metal band cut an album a few years back. They gave me the unmastered copy of it and it was great. Then I heard the mastered copy and I totally hated it. It was terrible after it got (over) produced.

Funny that there are quite a few people on your list I at one time couldn't stand and some I'm still not in to. Lynyrd Skynyrd for example. I loved all the radio hits when I was a kid. Then got to the point I couldn't stand them and have gone back and found a lot of Non-Radio stuff on the older albums ( Skynyrds Innyrds, second helping and street survivors) That I listen to and go "Wow" great stuff...

I hear the Dylan comments. Never could get into it.

But there is something to appreciate in any music, I agree. For instance, if you have a bad head cold, you can do some convincing Dylan tunes.

Same as you can do some good Howlin' Wolf with laryngitis.

Funny that there are quite a few people on your list I at one time couldn't stand and some I'm still not in to. Lynyrd Skynyrd for example. I loved all the radio hits when I was a kid. Then got to the point I couldn't stand them and have gone back and found a lot of Non-Radio stuff on the older albums ( Skynyrds Innyrds, second helping and street survivors) That I listen to and go "Wow" great stuff...

There are songs by the bands I listed (with the exception of Kiss) that I actually do like. I just cant get in to the bands as a whole. Its even possible that there may be other songs that I would like alot that I've never heard that could even change my opinion of the band, I suppose. I used to love Led Zep, but these days I just cant listen to them. We used to have a radio program here in the D, called "Get The Led Out". It was an hour of LZ every day during rush hour, not to mention the LZ that was played, and still is, the rest of the time. Just major burn-out. But really, they were a great band.

But there is something to appreciate in any music, I agree. For instance, if you have a bad head cold, you can do some convincing Dylan tunes.

I suppose that I shouldnt be so harsh with my opinion of Dylan. I can appreciate him as a poet and lyricist to a degree. There are just so many other factors than turn me off to him though.

And if you happen to be Damian, you can't play much of anything!

What I find interesting about this thread is that the bands/players that a lot of people have listed are who I really like and listen to a lot still.

It doesn't matter to me if you like my favorite or not though. I just found that interesting and realized that if we were to ever pull off a gibson forum meet my playing style probably wouldn't fit with many of you.

What I find interesting about this thread is that the bands/players that a lot of people have listed are who I really like and listen to a lot still.

It doesn't matter to me if you like my favorite or not though. I just found that interesting and realized that if we were to ever pull off a gibson forum meet my playing style probably wouldn't fit with many of you.

Of the 12 or so bands I listed, I have no problem learning any of that stuff for a jam session or a cover tune. I just dont like listening to any of it for recreation.

Archived