Gibson Brands Forums

Dot Studio wiring

bfloyd6969

Hello everyone. Is it safe to assume that the Dot Studio wiring in the middle position is both humbuckers in parallel? I ask because usually parallel wiring will have a slight decrease in output, but this Studio doesn't have a drop in volume when switching from the neck or bridge pickup to both pickups combined. If they were wired in series for the middle position then I would expect an increase in volume, but it really stays about the same... Thanks.

Usually when we talk about series and parallel wiring we are referring to how the coils inside the hum buckers are wired. But yes I am pretty sure that the middle position has the individual pickups in parallel .. You can check this out with a short guitar cable and a multi meter by measuring the dc resistance. As you say there will be a drop in the resistance in middle position.

Standard two-humbucker wiring is to connect both in-parallel and in-phase. It's common for this to sound as you describe. If they were in-series it would sound bigger, louder and probably kind of muddy. Other combos sound very different. With humbuckers, Peter Green and B.B. King made famous recordings with the pickups in-parallel and out-of phase. I like two humbuckers in-series and out-of-phase, too. The thing with out-of-phase is the tone changes dramatically if you alter the respective volumes of the pickups, which you can't do with a stock Dot Studio. If I had a Studio, I would consider wiring it up with the middle position being out-of-phase. That and maybe install push-pulls for independent volume and tone for each pickup. IMVHO, of course, and YMMV.

Archived