Gibson Brands Forums

Baked Maple is Unbeliveable!

rzman

I recieved my Ebony Classic Custom from Sweetwater yesterday.I bought it without ever trying out the new fret board material.I just figured if I didnt like it I could return it and get somthing else.First I would like to say im 44 years old been playing since I was twelve and have owned many Gibson Lespauls.I was VERY skeptical with this new finger board material and swore I would not buy one.After playing it for about 6 hours all I can say is FANTASTIC. It has a feel of ebony, very nice feeling.Sounds a little brighter than rosewood.I am very anal with the feel and sound of guitars and this thing delivers.Try one out and you will see what im talking about. Rob Chappers on utube describes it to a tee.Its exactly my opinion as well.After owning and playing all 3 kinds of boards, I would most deff choose the baked maple over the rosewood hands down.I do not work for or am afiliated with Gibson whatsoever just my findings for a controversial subject.I hope they continue to make these.Ray

Can't provide any view on the maple fret board as I only have one LP (also my 1st) at the moment and it has rosewood, but it is always nice when someone posts a positive experience on a new LP. I am fortunate enough to have experienced the thrill when you get The One. [thumbup] Contrats and happy jamming! [biggrin] Please post some pics if you can.

Is this going to be a trend with their fretboards now? No more traditional materials?

Rosewood and ebony will continue to be available on models; just less and less.......Gibson is trying out different fretboard materials

due to a variety of factors.........ie; Baked maple, ebeche, richlite (a manmade material), coraco de negro, and others...........................

I will never buy a Gibby with ebeche, but, I also am sold on Baked Maple..........I continue to prefer ebony, but hey, that's me.................

Congrats on your new guitar...........................

Guest BentonC

Thanks for the helpful input- good to know that there is some interest growing once players are getting thier hands on them!

It does have a snappier feel and tone, but I really like them too!

Thanks for the helpful input- good to know that there is some interest growing once players are getting thier hands on them!

It does have a snappier feel and tone, but I really like them too!

Hello BentonC! Let me grab the opportunity and ask You as a representative of Gibson. Would You be so kind to clear up the confusion about the body structure of Classic Customs? On the Gibson site, in the "Specs" section it's stated that the instrument crafted with "Traditional" weight-relief (swiss-cheese - I guess), but in a couple of reviews I've red/heard that it's chambered! What is the truth? Thank You in advance! Best regards... Bence

It has to be weight releaved , not chambered. My Gold top is a Traditional with weight releif and my new clasic custom is deff heavier. When I first took the Custom out of the case ,I was like, wow this sucker is heavy! It is probably heavier due to the Grovers and more binding. Im on day 3 of playing it.I did a head to head comparison with my rosewood vs baked maple.The baked maple is just a better sound.Snappier,punchier,more articulate,smoother, great low end, very clear. I feel sorry for my Gold top, I dont want to stop playing my Custom.

People really need to go out an play one and they'll see it's a nice material for fretboards. The majority of people *****ing about Gibson using maple are the same people who have absolutely no intention of buying a modern Gibson in the first place.

I love maple fret boards and most of my guitars have them. I also have a Rawpower SG and its all maple. My baked maple Classic Custom will be here on Tuesday; I cant wait. Times like this it would be so nice to have a music store within 120 miles of my house that handles better guitars.

I totally understand that feeling. My closest (decent) guitar shop (and favorite dealer)

is 100 miles away. But, maybe...in some respects, that's a good thing?! LOL Keeps "impulse"

buying at a minimum. [flapper]

CB

Just in case, some have missed this article...and, fun "demo," as well...

http://www.andertons.co.uk/News/aid1158/gibson-baked-maple-fingerboard-guide.asp

[thumbup][biggrin]

CB

I know you were one of the first guys on here to take the plunge and get one of these. The more I learn about it, the better it seems. I think they have a winner.

The darker color looks great. I actually like the looks of the lighter board too, with the wider grain pattern of the maple in a medium color. It might take a little getting used to, but I think I'd like that.

If the sound is anywhere between rosewood and ebony, it'll work just fine.

I give 'em two thumbs up on this one. [thumbup][thumbup]

I love maple fret boards and most of my guitars have them. I also have a Rawpower SG and its all maple. My baked maple Classic Custom will be here on Tuesday; I cant wait. Times like this it would be so nice to have a music store within 120 miles of my house that handles better guitars.

I know how that is. It's like 100 miles to.... um..... Guitar Center. :rolleyes:

Rosewood and ebony will continue to be available on models; just less and less.......Gibson is trying out different fretboard materials

due to a variety of factors.........ie; Baked maple, ebeche, richlite (a manmade material), coraco de negro, and others...........................

I will never buy a Gibby with ebeche, but, I also am sold on Baked Maple..........I continue to prefer ebony, but hey, that's me.................

Congrats on your new guitar...........................

This is not true, Gibson will offer ebony and rosewoood as soon as they have reliable legal suppliers. If you notice, the price on these baked board guitars is roughtly $200-$1000 less then regular Gibson's. This is about the smartest marketing ploy Harry came up with. Offer a new fingerboard and not charge out through the butt like it was ebony and rosewood. You open a new market to players who maybe did not have the money for a traditional Standard or Custom. Give a few of the options of the older guitars and voila, you have buyers who did not want a Studio or Faded something to buy. They get a top quality playing guitar for a middle of the road price. I think you can expect Gibson's prices to come down a bit on the higher end stuff once wood suppliers are lined up. The baked board guitars are very popular so the higher priced models have to be cometitively priced enough so that people are willing to spend a little more

I think the future for Gibson is brightening. If their attention to build quality stays good, a lot of Harry's problems will disappear

Finally got my hands on some baked Maple yesterday. Definitely a different feel. I own a maple neck Gibby LP and a hand full of Fenders, so I'm used to having some Maple in my left mitt, but the new BM boards have a unique feel to them. Others have compared the feeling to Ebony, but I don't agree with that. Ebony definitely has a more polished and slick feel. The maple feels more raw and snappy. I have always been weary of Rosewood, just because it can be generic and lack character. Meanwhile some better examples will really melt into the instrument and let you dig in to the note. I can see baked Maple being more consistent, but I'm not completely sold. Its not a deal breaker, but I am also not in the market for a new Gibson at the moment. I will have to revisit when I am seriously shopping for a new instrument.

I spent this morning playing an ebony one at my local GC and it really is a beautiful guitar. The baked maple is really nice and the one I played was the darkest I've seen yet.

I'm gonna wait to grab one after the holidays since my Gretsch 6118 is still fresh and besides gotta get something special for my lady for Christmas.

I just added another coat of lemon oil and that makes 2 different sessions I have applied lemon oil. Its really dark now and you would never know its maple. I'll post pictures soon of the treated neck.

Be careful [scared] , too much lemon oil may lead to loosening the frets. And, it may make your board "gummy," more quickly. You really only need to do

that, 1-2 times a year, unless you're in a very hot/dry climate, that dries out finger boards very quickly.

CB

Be careful [scared] , too much lemon oil may lead to loosening the frets. And, it may make your board "gummy," more quickly. You really only need to do

that, 1-2 times a year, unless you're in a very hot/dry climate, that dries out finger boards very quickly.

CB

never realized that lemon oil would loosen up frets. thanks cb for the heads up

Archived