Gibson Brands Forums

GuitarsAnn's new SG 12

GuitarsAnn

Got my new SG 12 today!! WOW!!! Love it, Love it, Love it!!!! I did manage to break the hi G string, though. Rats!!! Have to run out tomorrow and get some. The body is definetly one piece and the guitar is beautiful!!!

GuitarsAnn [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

sg12003.jpg

sg12001.jpg

sg12005.jpg

Thank you!! Yes, the color is definetly deeper than most SGs. The body is thicker and less beveled than my 1963 Les Paul Jr SG that I lost. The neck is a bit narrower than my Yairi twelve and my Martin D12-28, but I like it. I'm running it through a Line 6 Spider Jam 75W amp and it sounds AWESOME!!!!

GuitarsAnn [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

If the G string on a new twelve string breaks easily check to make sure absolutely sure that the Machine Shaft that the string attaches to does not have a burr in the hole. I took a dremel tool and lightly buffed both sides of the hole. I burned 3 .9 gstrings before I found this foreign problem.

Thanks, guys!!! It is really sweet!!! I do need to get the action lowered a bit. I'm not sure how to properly set it up so I will seek out a good shop in the SE Wisconsin area to restring it and set the action and intonation for me.

I had a 12 string 1967 non-reverse Firebird and it sounded as sweet as anything you could ever want. It was Beautiful in its own way, it was really thin bodied and the neck was from here to yonder. I used to play stairway to heaven for the fans in and around Rockhill South Carolina back in 1974/75 and it never let me down. I was basically a bass player in a group called Hambone but I had been playing that Bird since I was a Teenager. I sure do miss it! I traded it and after the trade the new owner had it stolen from his home.

Thanks to this fine forum, I found info on setting up my SG12. Seems it was not all that complicated. The neck was nice and straight, being new, and all I really needed to do was lower the bridge. WOW was it off. Measuring at the 12th fret the action was nearly twice the Gibson specified height for an SG. Now that it's down where it should be, I'm no longer straining to play it and not slurring chords. It sure is nice to be able to change up chords quickly. I was surprised the guitar was so poorly set up, but it was easily corrected. Intonation was fine after the bridge was lowered. It was just a bit of a PITA to detune and retune all those strings.

Stairway to Heaven was made for this guitar [thumbup]

I've been watching your post, digging the photos, and waiting for one to arrive. Got her last week and was surprised as you were to find the action set way high. But all it took was dropping the bridge and pickups, no other adjustment needed. Now the action is as low as I want with no buzz, the neck is just amazingly true; now the easiest 12 I've ever played.

Great tone, quite different from the Elitist Riv 12, more "dense" you might say as of course this is a solid body compared to the semi-hollow Riv 12. I do like the slightly wider nut on the Riv, but it's not a big deal. I thought the full humbuckers would be darker than the mini's on the Riv, and they are a bit, but still bright and clear. This is just a way fun SG to play with all the classic electric 12 sounds. Then play on.

Glad you're likin' it, Karma. I did wind up adjusting the neck a bit. The trus rod was quite loose and the neck was bowing a bit. I actually raised the bridge back up once the neck was set. So, keep an eye on the action as you may need to adjust the neck as it settles in. Very easy to do and there are a bunch of sites with tips on everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived