Gibson Brands Forums

60's Gibson came for restoration

Jaco

Just thought to share pictures of this lovely 60's Gibson ES-5 that has arrived earlier today to the shop I'm working in for restoration.

Neck detached, electronics do not work, some cracks at the back and sides...

fcc860c4.jpg

3d33b910.jpg

Was found in estate sell by our client.

Did you guys find any interesting gem lately?

J

Just thought to share pictures of this lovely 60's Gibson ES-5 that has arrived earlier today to the shop I'm working in for restoration.

Neck detached, electronics do not work, some cracks at the back and sides...

fcc860c4.jpg

Was found in estate sell by our client.

Did you guys find any interesting gem lately?

J

Interesting way to get compression on the neck during a re-set, or is something else going on here? The old ways still do the job. Nice Switchmaster! That's one of those dream finds, PAF's and all. What year?.

Are you sure that's a 1960 Switchmaster? Judging by the P-90 dogear mounts for the pickups, I suspect it's from the 50's. They only made the venetian cutaway for part of 1960 before switching to the florentine cutaway.

The fretboard looks like a replacement (no block inlay at first fret; no binding "point" at the end of the board). The control knobs look like replacements also, as Gibson was using bonnet knobs by the time the Switchmaster appeared in 1956.

Looks like the finish is still in pretty nice shape. [thumbup]

Our luthier came from violin and cello work so his ways seem odd, but he is good in what he does.

6248689e.jpg

61b8218e.jpg

Regarding the year unfortunately the sticker is a long gone, pots have been replaced, pickups are patent #...

I would agree that the guitar appears to be a late 1950s ES-5 and not a 60s guitar. My understanding is Gibson discontinued the Switchmaster around 1961-62, and the 1960 version did not have the dogear mounts. Either way it is a very cool guitar. See if there is a serial # stamped inside the body, which should be visible through the treble side f-hole.

Just to drive home the point... who would take a guitar with original humbuckers and install P90 dogeared mounts? Probably nobody, which means the guitar originally had P90's (which should be brought back, in my opinion), which means it dates to the years before humbuckers were introduced on the Switchmaster, which means it dates from '56 up to late '57.

Just to drive home the point... who would take a guitar with original humbuckers and install P90 dogeared mounts? Probably nobody, which means the guitar originally had P90's (which should be brought back, in my opinion), which means it dates to the years before humbuckers were introduced on the Switchmaster, which means it dates from '56 up to late '57.

you've got a point there...

I'll solve this riddle on Monday.

Will take the pots off and hopefully we'll have a date.

SO, DO WE HAVE A CONFIRMATION OF DATE OF MANUFACTURE?

haha Just to more days my friend...

I was off of work for the past few days (finally) and I'll see this beautiful lady on Thursday, as soon as I disassemble the potentiometers I will let you know (;

J

Well folks here's the story.

Pat# pickups

non original potentiometers

sticker isn't there anymore so there's no serial number

The guitar was bought in a pawn shop in England on 1978, second hand.

the guy at the shop said it was from the 50's

that's all...

Fantastic sounding guitar I must add!!!

I'll upload some sound samples to this sound sample and guitar addicts site www.tonepedia.com

so stay tuned if you're interested.

have great weekend everyone.

J

That's too bad. I was hoping to lock down the year it was made. Are you sure there's no numbers stamped inside the body? Just want to make sure. I would be really surprised if there wasn't any.

Yeh brother nothing inside the guitar. hat's a shame i know...

• 2 weeks later...

Just for closure,

I recorded the guitar few seconds before it's owner came and took it for good :(

uploaded it to www.tonepedia.com

(Dated it as 56 since it's the best assumption)

tried to convince him selling but he didn't even wanna hear me out....smart guy!

So there you go, not the best recording gear (had to use my phone's built in microphone) but that's what this ES-5 switchmaster sounds like:

1956 Gibson ES-5 @ Tonepedia

Goodbye stunning guitar...

Archived