Gibson Brands Forums

See anything wrong with this J-200????

onewilyfool

i agree, those pictures are crap.

If i had to make a call just based on what i can see though it looks like it's probably a good one. If you're looking and it's sort of local it's definitely worth checking out. I think the price is a bit on the high side though..

Looks like a good 'un to me, seems identical to my former '03 '200, the bridge marks in the top of the case are pretty normal.

The fretboard looks bone dry, though, I'd get some lemon oil on that sucker ASAP and maybe bung a humidifier in the case for a few days.

The fretboard looks bone dry, though, I'd get some lemon oil on that sucker ASAP and maybe bung a humidifier in the case for a few days.

I also can't tell much from those pictures.

As far as the fret board being dry you could well be right. I have got two Les Pauls from the same year and one of them always has a dry looking fingerboard, but I've kept them both carefully stored and the last time the luthier looked at it he said it wasn't dry. I've come to the conclusion that it has a much lighter natural color than the other, and this could possibly be the case here. Either way some lemon oil and humidification won't do any harm.

I also can't tell much from those pictures.

As far as the fret board being dry you could well be right. I have got two Les Pauls from the same year and one of them always has a dry looking fingerboard, but I've kept them both carefully stored and the last time the luthier looked at it he said it wasn't dry. I've come to the conclusion that it has a much lighter natural color than the other, and this could possibly be the case here. Either way some lemon oil and humidification won't do any harm.

Old Brazilian varies a lot in color. I have two guitars on which it is almost as black as ebony. A couple of others on which is light reddish brown. In any case, an oil wipe-down and buff-out at every other string change (I use Planet Waves Hydration) will be more than enough to keep it in good shape.

Archived