Gibson Brands Forums

How does Gibson define a "one-off"?

adamkm71

it usually means we only did 1.

Does this mean that I might request a "one-off" by paying up front for colors or features that are not standard fare for a Gibson Custom Shop guitar?

More specifically, some time in the near future, if it is possible, I will be interested in ordering a Les Paul Custom with a 5-A quilt--or flame--top in light trans-blue (like the Guitar Center DC's), with nickel hardware. I like the ebony fingerboard and the triple-ply binding of the Custom Shop Les Paul Custom. I also like--very much--the lighter (Prussian blue) trans-blue finish that is not available as a standard feature for the 2008 five-A Les Paul. I also think that a Les Paul with gold hardware does not maintain its beauty nearly as well as one with nickel hardware does. No offense intended to the guys at the Custom Shop, but I dislike the "vintage" look that gold hardware tends to develop, even if it is cleaned and polished regularly. If I am going to pay $5000-plus for a Custom Shop guitar, I think it reasonable to want it to still be very pretty ten years after date of purchase. Granted, the "vintage look" is all the rage these days, but I am not one to follow trends. Also, nickel hardware is much more elegant on a blue guitar.

Thanks for the help. :)

--Professor Chaos

Does this mean that I might request a "one-off" by paying up front for colors or features that are not standard fare for a Gibson Custom Shop guitar?

More specifically' date=' some time in the near future, if it is possible, I will be interested in ordering a Les Paul Custom with a 5-A quilt--or flame--top in light trans-blue (like the Guitar Center DC's), with nickel hardware. I like the ebony fingerboard and the triple-ply binding of the Custom Shop Les Paul Custom. I also like--very much--the lighter (Prussian blue) trans-blue finish that is not available as a standard feature for the 2008 five-A Les Paul. I also think that a Les Paul with gold hardware does not maintain its beauty nearly as well as one with nickel hardware does. No offense intended to the guys at the Custom Shop, but I dislike the "vintage" look that gold hardware tends to develop, even if it is cleaned and polished regularly. If I am going to pay $5000-plus for a Custom Shop guitar, I think it reasonable to want it to still be very pretty ten years after date of purchase. Granted, the "vintage look" is all the rage these days, but I am not one to follow trends. Also, nickel hardware is much more elegant on a blue guitar.

Thanks for the help. [img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

--Professor Chaos

yes, we do custom orders. as far as your specific wants, the only way to get a for sure yes or no ( as well as a price and ETA) is to have a dealer submit your specs to us for review.

Archived