Gibson Brands Forums

Chambered Les Paul

Epi Rocks

Hi folks, I have a problem with these new Chambered Gibson Les Paul's and I'm gonna have my say.

Does anybody else think we're getting short changed? Fair enough, they're weight relieved, but routed out to the point of almost being a semi-hollow, COME ON!!

Gibson guitars are specially built using traditional methods, machinery, laquer and so forth, with expensive, top grade mahogany, maple , ebony, rosewood, etc...and ask mega $$$$$$$ for it.

Now, I don't mind paying out my hard earned money on something of high quality, such as these high grade woods. But to then be told that all that beautiful timber has been routed away to nothing is ludicrous!

What the hell am I paying all that money for? Why use such high grade wood and then whittle it away to nothing, and then charge a fortune for it? Use cheaper wood and re-adjust your price accordingly.

If I wanted a lighter guitar I would get an SG or ES 339 instead. They're beautiful instruments.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that if you want a solid Les Paul without all that routing(chambering), you're better off getting an Epiphone version. At least then you get exactly what you've payed for and it's still technically made by Gibson. Your only other, more expensive option, is a Gibson LP Traditional. (What a Lp standard used to be).

I hope I'm not the only bloke who feels this way but, if you want a lighter guitar and find that LP's are too bloody heavy for you, get something else dammit!

Les Paul guitars are Built Heavy and Sound Heavy. That's how they are and should be left, not routed to bloody death!

I don't know where Gibson are headed with all this crap however, I'm soooo.. pleased that Epiphone aren't screwin' around with a wonderful design that works. I love and have always loved the Gibson Les Paul guitar but, unless Gibson get their act together I will stick with the Epiphone version instead.

There now, I've said my piece. ( probably too much)

(I hate having to rave and rant on 'bout it, especially on a Sunday morning, but I'm very passionate about my favourate things, like this particular guitar).

Epiphones Rock!!!

Cheers

Paul

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi folks, I have a problem with these new Chambered Gibson Les Paul's and I'm gonna have my say.

Does anybody else think we're getting short changed? Fair enough, they're weight relieved, but routed out to the point of almost being a semi-hollow, COME ON!!

Gibson guitars are specially built using traditional methods, machinery, laquer and so forth, with expensive, top grade mahogany, maple , ebony, rosewood, etc...and ask mega $$$$ for it.

Now, I don't mind paying out my hard earned money on something of high quality, such as these high grade woods. But to then be told that all that beautiful timber has been routed away to nothing is ludicrous!

What the hell am I paying all that money for? Why use such high grade wood and then whittle it away to nothing, and then charge a fortune for it? Use cheaper wood and re-adjust your price accordingly.

If I wanted a lighter guitar I would get an SG or ES 339 instead. They're beautiful instruments.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that if you want a solid Les Paul without all that routing(chambering), you're better off getting an Epiphone version. At least then you get exactly what you've payed for and it's still technically made by Gibson. Your only other, more expensive option, is a Gibson LP Traditional. (What a Lp standard used to be).

I hope I'm not the only bloke who feels this way but, if you want a lighter guitar and find that LP's are too bloody heavy for you, get something else dammit!

Les Paul guitars are Built Heavy and Sound Heavy. That's how they are and should be left, not routed to bloody death!

I don't know where Gibson are headed with all this crap however, I'm soooo.. pleased that Epiphone aren't screwin' around with a wonderful design that works. I love and have always loved the Gibson Les Paul guitar but, unless Gibson get their act together I will stick with the Epiphone version instead.

There now, I've said my piece. ( probably too much)

(I hate having to rave and rant on 'bout it, especially on a Sunday morning, but I'm very passionate about my favourate things, like this particular guitar).

Epiphones Rock!!!

Cheers

Paul

Agreed... I want my Les Pauls solid ( and I like em' heavy! ) msp_thumbup.gif

Agreed... I want my Les Pauls solid ( and I like em' heavy! ) msp_thumbup.gif

I sold my Norlin Les Paul Custom boat anchor in 1972, and never looked back. [thumbdn] Had a 2001 LP Classic, but it was too heavy to balance comfortably on my leg (I play fingerstyle Jazz, mostly sitting down.) Sold that guitar, too. [thumbdn]

I currently have an all-mahogany LP Studio with P-90s (7 lbs 2 5/8 oz) and a maple-capped glossy Studio with 490R/498T (7 lbs 15 3/4 oz.). These are the best-sounding LP's I have ever owned, and I don't feel short-changed in the slightest! [biggrin]

I'm happy to have been given the choice by Gibson. If I had to wear 10 pounds or more of wood, I probably would have passed.

My $0.02/FWIW/YMMV

J/W

[thumbup]

..... I hope I'm not the only bloke who feels this way but, if you want a lighter guitar and find that LP's are too bloody heavy for you, get something else dammit!

Les Paul guitars are Built Heavy and Sound Heavy. That's how they are and should be left, not routed to bloody death! .....

Right back atcha.

I find nothing wrong with weight-relief or chambering. Although many ludites feel the same as you do.

Apparently you're uninformed about how long weight-relief/chambering has been going on - since the 80s. In fact, it's gone so far it's now the other way around from your statement: Les Paul guitars are built lighter to save backs. That's the direction in which Gibson has been taking Les Paul guitars for many years. If you want a heavy guitar, get something else. . B)

I'm soooo.. pleased that Epiphone aren't screwin' around with a wonderful design that works. I love and have always loved the Gibson Les Paul guitar but, unless Gibson get their act together I will stick with the Epiphone version instead.

Congrats on being the first person to bring up this topic [thumbdn]. Guess what, LP Standards are chambered now, so if they are to light for you, get something else, dammit! Standards ARE chambered, and that is how they are, so quit crying about it. Sounds like you're happy with your Epis, so why are you posting this here? Do you just feel like b*tching about gear you wouldn't buy anyway?

It's a free country, bro. Gibby makes solid LPs, weight relieved LPs, and chambered LPs. If you don't like the chambered ones, don't buy one. Every guitar is not made for you. We are always glad to have new blood on the forum, but do a search and read any of the 50 threads on this topic before you start a new one.

I sold my Norlin Les Paul Custom boat anchor in 1972, and never looked back. [thumbdn] Had a 2001 LP Classic, but it was too heavy to balance comfortably on my leg (I play fingerstyle Jazz, mostly sitting down.) Sold that guitar, too. [thumbdn]

I currently have an all-mahogany LP Studio with P-90s (7 lbs 2 5/8 oz) and a maple-capped glossy Studio with 490R/498T (7 lbs 15 3/4 oz.). These are the best-sounding LP's I have ever owned, and I don't feel short-changed in the slightest! [biggrin]

I'm happy to have been given the choice by Gibson. If I had to wear 10 pounds or more of wood, I probably would have passed.

My $0.02/FWIW/YMMV

J/W

[thumbup]

I'll take any of those boat anchors... I have no problem with options... Would be nice to have the option of swiss cheese, grand canyon or solid in all models... I'm used to lugging around big heavy wood so it doesn't bother me... msp_flapper.gif

Something like this? [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

The-Fat-women-ride.jpg

Does your Mom know you are posting pictures of her on the interwebz? Oh well as the saying goes... Fun to ride as long as your friends don't see you... msp_flapper.gifmsp_flapper.gifmsp_flapper.gif

THE "BENTONITE MOD"

Required materials:

1. Cheap mixing bowl from Dollarama

2. Cheap turkey baster (Mom's?)

3. 12" length of surgical rubber tubing ( Gramp's oxygen harness?)

4. 2 lbs FRESH clumping Kitty Litter

Instructions:

Mix kitty litter with water and stir constantly until mixture has the consistency of a smooth paste

Spoon the mixture into the baster.

Insert the surgical tubing into the wiring channel located in the bridge pickup cavity.

Attach surgical tubing to end of baster and squeeze firms and steadily, avoiding air pockets and bubbles. Repeat as required until the cavity can hold no more.

Wipe off excess filling mixture with a soft, damp rag.

Store guitar on a horizontal surface away from cats for 1 week, or until filling compound sets up rock hard

Restring, tune up, strap on your back brace, and ENJOY YOUR BENTONITE-MODDED LP STUDIO!

(don't mention it!)

J/W

THE "BENTONITE MOD"

Required materials:

1. Cheap mixing bowl from Dollarama

2. Cheap turkey baster (Mom's?)

3. 12" length of surgical rubber tubing ( Gramp's oxygen harness?)

4. 2 lbs FRESH clumping Kitty Litter

Instructions:

Mix kitty litter with water and stir constantly until mixture has the consistency of a smooth paste

Spoon the mixture into the baster.

Insert the surgical tubing into the wiring channel located in the bridge pickup cavity.

Attach surgical tubing to end of baster and squeeze firms and steadily, avoiding air pockets and bubbles. Repeat as required until the cavity can hold no more.

Wipe off excess filling mixture with a soft, damp rag.

Store guitar on a horizontal surface away from cats for 1 week, or until filling compound sets up rock hard

Restring, tune up, strap on your back brace, and ENJOY YOUR BENTONITE-MODDED LP STUDIO!

(don't mention it!)

J/W

Uh... No! msp_thumbdn.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

I prefer my method...

063f72fc.jpg

2e8a5ff3.jpg

69a1aa42.jpg

e3753850.jpg

"I hope I'm not the only bloke who feels this way but, if you want a lighter guitar and find that LP's are too bloody heavy for you, get something else dammit!"

I'm not sure I understand why you would care what anyone else buys. I've been playing guitar for 48 years and just bought my first LP. I wouldn't have bought my Standard if it wasn't chambered. After a lot of research, it became the guitar I wanted to buy. I'm glad that Gibson offers all the options of solid, weight relieved and chambered. If I had thought that the Standard wouldn't sound right for me, I wouldn't have bought it. After spending hours playing all the options available and watching videos, I decided the chambered Standard sounded better. My friend has a mid '80's LP that weighs about 12#, and he's constantly changing pickups trying to get a better sound. So I should buy a block of wood instead of a guitar because that's your opinion? Right!

"I hope I'm not the only bloke who feels this way but, if you want a lighter guitar and find that LP's are too bloody heavy for you, get something else dammit!"

I'm not sure I understand why you would care what anyone else buys. I've been playing guitar for 48 years and just bought my first LP. I wouldn't have bought my Standard if it wasn't chambered. After a lot of research, it became the guitar I wanted to buy. I'm glad that Gibson offers all the options of solid, weight relieved and chambered. If I had thought that the Standard wouldn't sound right for me, I wouldn't have bought it. After spending hours playing all the options available and watching videos, I decided the chambered Standard sounded better. My friend has a mid '80's LP that weighs about 12#, and he's constantly changing pickups trying to get a better sound. So I should buy a block of wood instead of a guitar because that's your opinion? Right!

I can understand the issue of "weight vs. absence of weight". I could have picked up an EXC+ Gretsch 6120 for a song earlier this year. It was a nice guitar, a 2010 FMIC model, I believe. But it was quite a bit heavier than my mind and body tell me a 6120 should be. It didn't SOUND right, either. It wasn't "dry" enough. I have no idea as to whether or not that had anything to do with the weight of the instrument... But it did not feel to me as a 6120 should (and I have another one to compare it to).

All of which to say: if, to YOU, a LP has to achieve a certain weight threshold to seem like a genuine Les Paul, I can dig it. What I don't understand is railing on at Gibson for FINALLY listening to the many players like me who wanted a lighter, more resonant Paul and producing weight-relieved and chambered models. As others have pointed out - you can still get a solid LP if you do your homework.

[Nice work, Andy, BTW!]

Another unsolicited $0.02 from the Jelly!

[thumbup]

Answering your points in order;

"Does anybody else think we're getting short changed?"

As there is currently a choice of three different LP body styles I don't think we're being short-changed. There is now a wider range of weight-options than ever before and more options is a good thing.

"What the hell am I paying all that money for?"

Unless you have bought a chambered Les Paul then you haven't, in fact, payed out any money whatsoever.

"It's becoming increasingly obvious that if you want a solid Les Paul without all that routing(chambering), you're better off getting an Epiphone version."

Why do you claim that buying an Epiphone is a better option than buying a non-chambered Gibson? Simply to save money over the price of a Traditional? Gibson guitars have never been cheap.

"if you want a lighter guitar and find that LP's are too bloody heavy for you, get something else dammit! "

That's just idiotic. Furthermore a few chambered LPs have turned out to be heavier than some of the (solid-bodied) re-issues.

"Les Paul guitars are Built Heavy and Sound Heavy."

Utter nonsense. Les Paul himself played jazz and played clean, clear and bright. LPs can portray any style the player wishes. You might like them sounding heavy. Other viewpoints are equally valid.

"I don't mind paying out my hard earned money on something of high quality, such as these high grade woods. But to then be told that all that beautiful timber has been routed away to nothing is ludicrous!"

"I love and have always loved the Gibson Les Paul guitar but, unless Gibson get their act together I will stick with the Epiphone version instead."

Why don't you simply save up some of your "hard-earned money" and buy a re-issue? They're solid and very well made.

"Epiphones Rock!!! "

Some of them do.

P.

People treat this like the Gibson team pulled weight relief/ chambering out of the sky. Like one day they were sitting around and decided, "Lets chamber LPs because.....I don’t know, %*#@ you, because I feel like it."

Since the inception of this instrument, players have complained that they are too heavy. I have never played an original sunburst, but I have gigged with a maple neck Norlin Goldtop, and a super solid 77 Custom. They were HEAVY. I could play the Goldtop for a set before I started to feel it, but the custom felt like I had a cement block around my neck after 3 songs. I had a Smarwood series LP that was weight relieved and still too heavy for my tastes.

Now I am willing to bet that many of the individuals that have made it a point to voice their disdain for chambered LPs have never stood in a crowded bar with a Norlin area, solid as hell Lester strapped to their shoulder for 3 sets. If you have, and still prefer the solid....more power to ya. But know that many players’ backs think chambering is a godsend.

Just remember, if Gibson pulled in the reins every time a few luddites started whining about changes, there would be no Les Paul to begin with.

Archived