Gibson Brands Forums

Who's got a PacRim guitar?

Lee M

I have a 1993 Gibson Gospel which I like a lot. On other forums, I read raves about Eastman, Blueridge, Recording King, etc., and wonder what I'm missing by not owning one. I'm not willing to spend a couple thousand on another Gibson or a Martin or Taylor, but having never played one, I can't help be curious if these Chinese guitars are all they are cracked up to be. Anyone here own or play one of the moderately priced versions (say $600 or less) of the above makes?

I have a Recording King ROS-627, essentially it's a Martin 000-28VS clone, it's a fantastic guitar. In comparison I do have the Martin 0-28VS, the triple 000's little brother (if you will) and I can easiily say there's not 2.5k-3k GBP of a difference between the guitars.

The RK is astonishingly good given the price-point and when de-scoping price altogether it's a great guitar that is not shamed by any of my other guitars.

I guess Corts classify as PacRim, or maybe not, theyre Korean. Anyway, Im a really big fan of them. For the money I think they are the dogs bollocks. I have a 12 year old Earth 100, very well played in by now that could give a D-18 a run for its money. Also played a lovelly 900 series cedar topped Parlour the other day that almost walked home with me ..

Overall I still think the best bang for the buck are Eastmans when you start going into the real solid bodied good stuff. Every Eastman Ive played really impressed me in a big way.

I have several Epiphone Masterbilts, which are made in China. They are very good guitars. Great tone, easy playability, nicely appointed, and well made. I also have four Epiphone Elitist guitars that were made in Japan (these originally sold for quite a bit more than the average Pac Rim guitars) In most respects, the quality of the workmanship is impeccable, the materials used first rate, and the tone just great.

Red 333

I've got an Epiphone EJ200 which is just great. Sounds like a jumbo should, looks beautiful and has the best neck and action of any of my guitars. It plays like the proverbial butter, yet I can whack the thing with a pick and get no buzzes whatsoever. Great guitar. It's a 2011, from shortly after they switched from "select spruce" tops to solid Sitka. The lamitop ones weren't bad, but this is a much better guitar.

I owned a Guild GAD F20E for a year or so, and sold it when I found myself financially beached after being dropped by my former record label. I've missed that guitar ever since, it was absolutely brilliant-for some reason it came alive when strung with 80/20 Bronze 11s, and really sang. I sold it to a stranger on a railway station, and always hoped it would be looked after and well played. About 18mths ago, quite by accident, I saw the guy I sold it to playing a concert with the diddy Guild...he played it better than I ever did, and completely set my mind at rest that it'd found the right home.

The Blueridge BR180 OM is incredible-I nearly bought one, but couldn't live with the narrow nut width.

what does PacRim mean, I have never heard of the word; is it slang?

Matt

It's apparently an American expression for the countries along the western edge of the Pacific, usually meaning China, Japan, & Korea.

Archived