Gibson Brands Forums

Need advice on a replacement pickup

Craig10119

Hi everyone.

To cut a long story short, I have a goldtop with 2 p90's. As much as i love the p90's, the bridge one just does not get the sound I desire. It sounds brilliant, but it's just not the kind of sound I'm looking for. I can footer about with the settings on my amp, but I still can't quite get the sound I want.

I play most solos on the neck pickup, and i'm happy with how that p90 sounds. It's a nice contrast to the burstbucker pro in the neck position on my other standard.

Anyway, I was a big Pete Friesen fan when I was younger, and he had a goldtop with a p90 in the neck and some kind of humbucker in the bridge. I don't care what kind of humbucker he actually had(i'm not that anal), but i just got to thinking that it would be cool if mine at least looked like his. The humbucker had the zebra casing (not sure if that's the correct term).

My other les paul standard has burstbucker pro's which I love, but they're not (to my knowledge) available with the zebra pickup covers.

Does anyone know of a pickup that would suit me? Looking for a kind of similar sound to the burstbucker pros (as near as i can get) because i fell in love with those pickups when i first heard them.

Any help would be appreciated as other than with my old fenders, I've never had any pickups changed.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I'm actually looking for a humbucker sized pickup(sorry, should have stated that in my message) to replace a p90.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that will sound similar to a burstbucker pro... Just trying to recreate pete friesen's goldtop... Always thought it looked cool.

EDIT:

I might look into the burstbucker 3... any other suggestions.

I had a washburn idol gold top with stacked p90 (humbucker p90) they where knock offs not seymores. I was looking to change. The big problem is a standard humbucker wont fit in the p90 hole, p90's are smaller. So if you want to mod the guitar then you can fit a full size in. I tried the Dimarzio's P90 humbuckers but didn't care for them, but they do work well as humbuckers and are a good price. The stacked P90 (humbuckers) put out by Seymore are deeper than standard p90 and you would have to carve out some wood. I was going to pick up the EMG P91 an active P90 humbucker that sounds like the EMG-81. But I sold the guitar. Good Luck.

Hi…

Sorry, just to clarify, I’m looking for a humbucker sized humbucker, that sounds similar to a burstbucker, with the zebra cover.

Just want my goldtop to look like Pete’s…

I’ve tried the whole “humbucker in a single coil” thing before (on my fenders) and I didn’t like the results.

As for the Dimarzio’s, I have a feeling that they’re too hot for my liking. My friend has them on his deans and they all feedback like crazy. Not very keen on emg’s either.

Hi…

Sorry' date=' just to clarify, I’m looking for a humbucker sized humbucker, that sounds similar to a burstbucker, with the zebra cover.

Just want my goldtop to look like Pete’s…

I’ve tried the whole “humbucker in a single coil” thing before (on my fenders) and I didn’t like the results.

As for the Dimarzio’s, I have a feeling that they’re too hot for my liking. My friend has them on his deans and they all feedback like crazy. Not very keen on emg’s either.

[/quote']

How about a Burstbucker then? They sound pretty similar to a burstbucker.

DiMarzio makes pickups that vary in how hot they are as does Seymour Duncan.

When you go to DiMarzio's web site they actually have separated their pickup selections into 3 categories when you click "humbuckers." Their categories are "Vintage Output, Medium Power, and High Power."

I honestly don't know what the output of the burstbucker is - you need to discover what their output is and then match it with the comparable output of an aftermarket pickup. DiMarzio and Seymour both list each pickups output.

I think what others have been trying to tell you is that going from P-90's to humbuckers means you have to route the pick-up cavity - something most people are not willing to do. I wouldn't personally, but it's your guitar.

Hope this helps you. Oh and there are other brands of aftermarket pickups - the ones I listed have been around longer and are the two biggest aftermarket pup makers.

Yeah, I was aware about having to enlarge the cavity... I'm totally fine with it. Got the goldtop second hand at a bargain price, if I was buying new, I would have got one with burstbuckers anyway.

here's the thing, the music stores around where I live have a terrible range of pickups. Can anyone recommend a good pickup that sounds similar (maybe even better) than a burstbucker pro... Let's not forget that burstbuckers are PAF reissues, therefore more people will be familiar with them but might not know it.

Anyway, my plan was to see if anyone rated a particular pickup really highly, then i would just order it online. It needs to have the "zebra" design...

Hey Craig, you seem frustrated. Try a 57 Classic for the Bridge position. To be honest I have no idea if they can come in Zebra casing, but they sound AWESOME. They're the lowest output PU Gibson makes (but BB Pros are the 2nd lowest) so they'll give you a nice contrast to your P90. They sound very similar to BB Pros but without the "bite." The think I like about the burstbuckers is that you can clean up the tone by turning down the rhythm pickup. This "cleaned up" tone sounds almost identical to 57s all the way up- very smooth, creamy, and bright. Good luck finding a pickup!

Thanks for the reply SRV zep.

I just looked around online and I'm either gonna go with the 57 classic (I had them in an sg i had once, awesome pickups) or the seymour duncan 57 Paf reissue...

I'm really looking for the zebra casing... Some daft fantasy about recreating one of my idol's guitar's...

Thanks for the help everyone.

Archived